Clare Forum

New Players To Add To 2019 Clare Panel

(Oldest Posts First)

Any ideas on what if any players can be added to 2019 Clare panel as we need new blood coming on stream

As our under age teams have been weak enough over last number of years a trawl of the club scene might have to throw up a few names for new year, having attended two senior games over weekend and reading Clare People it was the familiar names that topped list Aaron Shanagher Peter Duggan Tony Kelly Shane o Donnell David Mcinerney ect.

Stephen O Halloran of Clarecastle i always though was a fine hurler apparently played great at weekend still young at 26
Good to hear Paul Flanagan has good game also so also Niall Deasy will have to get full league campaign if he stay on panel. Aidan McCarthy of Inagh/Kil good prospect.

Jamie Shanahan on half forward line for SMB i think that line is his best position not pacy enough for wb

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 467 - 22/08/2018 15:44:28    2135638

Link

I'd like to see trials to be honest. It's done in lots of counties and I don't see why Clare don't do it. There's a few intermediate hurlers that could do a job. Any panel needs new blood year on year. Cody did it to superb panels every year.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1176 - 08/11/2018 14:41:34    2150214

Link

Replying To clooney:  "Any ideas on what if any players can be added to 2019 Clare panel as we need new blood coming on stream

As our under age teams have been weak enough over last number of years a trawl of the club scene might have to throw up a few names for new year, having attended two senior games over weekend and reading Clare People it was the familiar names that topped list Aaron Shanagher Peter Duggan Tony Kelly Shane o Donnell David Mcinerney ect.

Stephen O Halloran of Clarecastle i always though was a fine hurler apparently played great at weekend still young at 26
Good to hear Paul Flanagan has good game also so also Niall Deasy will have to get full league campaign if he stay on panel. Aidan McCarthy of Inagh/Kil good prospect.

Jamie Shanahan on half forward line for SMB i think that line is his best position not pacy enough for wb"
Just read that ANTRIM ARE NOR LOOKING TO SIGN UP Anthony dALEY. what the hell is wrong witk the Clare selectord?A vital shane has to be made intheir challenging and selection process, a key candidate is livivg inCLARE BUT AOMEBODY HIGH UP MUST HAVS A BIAS AGAINST HIM SO DALEY IS IGNORED. IT IS A BAD SITUATIONiT MUST DEPRESS ALTRue clare suppporters. brian boru

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 09/11/2018 21:36:34    2150467

Link

Daly will not be a Clare selector. He's a big name and ego and wouldn't fit into the management team. It would be like having Davy as a selector. A disaster. Now don't get me wrong I think Clares management is average. They got a good performance against Galway last year but their substitutions came too late. Overall they have been a disappointment. Their business and management acumen hasn't translated to field sport. They both lack charisma and don't get the best out of the players consistently.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1176 - 15/11/2018 09:54:21    2151195

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Daly will not be a Clare selector. He's a big name and ego and wouldn't fit into the management team. It would be like having Davy as a selector. A disaster. Now don't get me wrong I think Clares management is average. They got a good performance against Galway last year but their substitutions came too late. Overall they have been a disappointment. Their business and management acumen hasn't translated to field sport. They both lack charisma and don't get the best out of the players consistently."
well bloody ban, I disagree/ Ithink Daly is a loyal Clare man and would be honores-d to be chosenIIII brian boru

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 16/11/2018 00:22:38    2151277

Link

Replying To clooney:  "Any ideas on what if any players can be added to 2019 Clare panel as we need new blood coming on stream

Jamie Shanahan on half forward line for SMB i think that line is his best position not pacy enough for wb"
Diarmuid Ryan should be there or there abouts. Certainly a player for the future and potentially filling a gap where we have doubts - center back

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1986 - 16/11/2018 06:05:14    2151280

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Daly will not be a Clare selector. He's a big name and ego and wouldn't fit into the management team. It would be like having Davy as a selector. A disaster. Now don't get me wrong I think Clares management is average. They got a good performance against Galway last year but their substitutions came too late. Overall they have been a disappointment. Their business and management acumen hasn't translated to field sport. They both lack charisma and don't get the best out of the players consistently."
Wha???

They most certainly have not been a disappointment. They have brought a love for hurling back to Clare that was lost under Davy. Jesus - I dont know what more they could have done to be honest given where we came from? I think people are quick to forget what the 2014/15 & 16 championship results were like. We saw greenshoots of recovery in 2017 and 2018 was a huge improvement. We were the width of a post from being in an All Ireland final!!!

We also beat Tipp in Thurles for the first time in the championship for 90 years, we beat Waterford, hammered Limerick the eventual champions and took last years champions to extra time in a replay. If you cant see the tangible improvements made under Donal and Gerry I am not sure if there is any helping you.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1986 - 16/11/2018 06:11:07    2151281

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "Wha???

They most certainly have not been a disappointment. They have brought a love for hurling back to Clare that was lost under Davy. Jesus - I dont know what more they could have done to be honest given where we came from? I think people are quick to forget what the 2014/15 & 16 championship results were like. We saw greenshoots of recovery in 2017 and 2018 was a huge improvement. We were the width of a post from being in an All Ireland final!!!

We also beat Tipp in Thurles for the first time in the championship for 90 years, we beat Waterford, hammered Limerick the eventual champions and took last years champions to extra time in a replay. If you cant see the tangible improvements made under Donal and Gerry I am not sure if there is any helping you."
Yeah got to 2 Munster finals lost 2017 to fear & tactics, 2018 were flying up t half time, imploded a bit after that still too fearful of Cork I think, and yeah could have taken Galway if only that last effort tony TK was dropped in where the the big men were waiting Duggan/Shanagher/Conlon maybe a bit picky but injury to John Conlon massive.

Its true for bloody ban Anthony Daly will not be part of this management that would be fair to no one, drunken ramblings i think will probably be next manager had his detractors as well when in charge.

I havent really heard of any new talent as such an old fashioned trial might be no harm

I hope the Inagh/Mona boys come good the 2 McCarthy's & David Fitzgerald there already needs to stake permanent claim suffered loss of form in 2018.
Rory Hayes & Ian Galvin of course bit players in 2018 but lots of talent, Ben O Gorma'n of Wolfe Tones, has talent as well Dara Corry Tulla has hurling & Physique needs to come good Cathal McInerney of Cratloe still has lots to offer Rian Considine & Diarmuid Ryan promising as well two 17 year olds from last year Meehan from Banner Club
& Mark Rodgers Scariff lots of talent Shane McGrath Feakle excellent year

Niall Deasy has to be given full league next year of he should leave panel he tics lots of boxes for me big man good on high ball turn of pace knows how to score what more do you want.

Pity A Cunningham Gearoid O Connell & Paul Flanagan are not available cant really afford to lose anyone

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 467 - 16/11/2018 17:03:42    2151340

Link

Feakle will be kicking themselves for taking off Enda Noonan in the munster inter . final..... it was a very bad call... turned the game on its head,,,,,,

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 18/11/2018 17:23:03    2151494

Link

Replying To clooney:  "Yeah got to 2 Munster finals lost 2017 to fear & tactics, 2018 were flying up t half time, imploded a bit after that still too fearful of Cork I think, and yeah could have taken Galway if only that last effort tony TK was dropped in where the the big men were waiting Duggan/Shanagher/Conlon maybe a bit picky but injury to John Conlon massive.

Its true for bloody ban Anthony Daly will not be part of this management that would be fair to no one, drunken ramblings i think will probably be next manager had his detractors as well when in charge.

I havent really heard of any new talent as such an old fashioned trial might be no harm

I hope the Inagh/Mona boys come good the 2 McCarthy's & David Fitzgerald there already needs to stake permanent claim suffered loss of form in 2018.
Rory Hayes & Ian Galvin of course bit players in 2018 but lots of talent, Ben O Gorma'n of Wolfe Tones, has talent as well Dara Corry Tulla has hurling & Physique needs to come good Cathal McInerney of Cratloe still has lots to offer Rian Considine & Diarmuid Ryan promising as well two 17 year olds from last year Meehan from Banner Club
& Mark Rodgers Scariff lots of talent Shane McGrath Feakle excellent year

Niall Deasy has to be given full league next year of he should leave panel he tics lots of boxes for me big man good on high ball turn of pace knows how to score what more do you want.

Pity A Cunningham Gearoid O Connell & Paul Flanagan are not available cant really afford to lose anyone"
What's the story with Cunningham and Flanagan? I knew Cunningham was travelling last year. Is he still away? And Flanagan? A serious injury? For whatever reason, he has never really got a chance.

MiAmigaVERONICA (Clare) - Posts: 258 - 18/11/2018 20:06:44    2151532

Link

Would love to see Shane mc grath, oisin donnelen, and GUILFOYLE and mayve DALY FROM FEAKLE,S INTERMDIAYE championsi get a run with the Clare seniors. They have great talenr and could be great additions to the clare senior squad.LET,S SEE HOW THE WOULD PERORM

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 25/11/2018 17:55:11    2152389

Link

Replying To brianboru:  "Would love to see Shane mc grath, oisin donnelen, and GUILFOYLE and mayve DALY FROM FEAKLE,S INTERMDIAYE championsi get a run with the Clare seniors. They have great talenr and could be great additions to the clare senior squad.LET,S SEE HOW THE WOULD PERORM"
Enda Noonan is worth a shot on the 40,,,,

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 26/11/2018 20:31:22    2152527

Link

H0PPING BAL.L,.HOU ARE AN ASTUTE OBSERVOR. You keep an eye oh east clare talent.and ALTHOUGH I cometim3s disagree at least we agree east clare rems should be stillhe mix. I can soon see players from scARIFF ANS FEAKLE BLOSSOMING SOON.!!!!!!!!!!! brian boru

brianboru (Clare) - Posts: 561 - 29/11/2018 13:39:57    2152827

Link

Replying To MiAmigaVERONICA:  "What's the story with Cunningham and Flanagan? I knew Cunningham was travelling last year. Is he still away? And Flanagan? A serious injury? For whatever reason, he has never really got a chance."
Cunningham will still be travelling for next year, he said from start he would gone for 2 years. Pity, he's a good man to grab a few goals.

Dec82 (Clare) - Posts: 181 - 10/12/2018 21:18:53    2153928

Link

Has the Clare panel been named for the new season?
There's a great new season ahead to look forward to. Far be it from me to ask the question 'Is this a make or break year for Clare?'
I think Conor McGrath stepping aside is a good decision. His lack of pace had caught up with him . Great hands and a very good point scorer when on form but terribly selfish on the ball. I'd like to see McInerney freed from fullback. He's not a fullback because he wants to play too much ball. And he's got tonnes of ability. Clare are there or there abouts .

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1176 - 16/12/2018 10:48:18    2154392

Link

Good performance from Clare yesterday missing 10 players at moment due to breaks injuries ect but great opportunity for others to show their wares and all did well both corner backs were on top young Aidan McCarthy caught a bit of a tarter in Jason Forde but he kept at it looks a stylish hurler

Ryan Taylor missed a few but looks a tidy County man in making great skill & speed added workrate yesterday Deasy & Guilfoyle did well especially Guilfoyle who causes Maher a lot of problems.

D Mac & Tony Kelly superb Cleary steady but not a hurling centre c pity Davy Mac not released to 6

Nice to get a bit of silverware league will be step up

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 467 - 14/01/2019 14:13:40    2157058

Link

Guilfoyle and Ryan - two great finds for the league. We are growing the strength of our panel which is great.

I expect a big season this year in what is likely to be Donal and Gerry's last year.

As I have said every year recently I couldnt give a toss about the league in terms of results (less so this year as there is no relegation) I just want to see performance and key players showing leadership and form.

Its good for the county that we have a full compliment to pick from at this time of the year with no all ireland club commitments

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1986 - 16/01/2019 01:48:54    2157482

Link