Clare Forum

Munster Hurling Final 2018

(Oldest Posts First)

This deserves its own thread.

I am not in the slightest worried about playing in Thurles. We beat Tipp there recently and will have no fear of Cork there.

The key question here is are we better than last year? I believe we are. The hangover from the Davy Fitz era has no been shaken and the managers have had a season to instill their philosophy on the team. We were there or there abouts last year despite giving all the impetus to Cork and allowing them to dictate the play.

This will not happen this year and I believe that Cork are also not as strong as last year, albeit still a very good team with excellent forwards. Remember after losing to them we beat Wateford, Limerick and Tipp. They just got over the line with Waterford, drew with 14 man Limerick and drew with Tipp after throwing away a 9 point lead.

With that being said we have had serious issues playing Cork since 2013 and this needs to end now. No better place to do it than a Munster final. If we can defend like tigers, like we did against Limericks free scoring forwards then I believe we will win the game. Cork lads think Cadogan can nullify Conlon. This would surprise me, but if they do that will go a long way towards beating us. I am confident though Conlon on current form has the beating of any full back in the country. He is hurler of the year so far IMO. He was double marked against Limerick for parts and still won the ball.

The addition of Duggan to the team has been vital, not only in what he brings from general play and placed balls but it also allows us to push Conlon into the full forward line where he is most dangerous. Assuming Morey is fit - I would go with the same team as the last day although if I had to make 1 change it would be a straight swap Fitzgerald for Malone.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1986 - 21/06/2018 02:00:59    2113483

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "This deserves its own thread.

I am not in the slightest worried about playing in Thurles. We beat Tipp there recently and will have no fear of Cork there.

The key question here is are we better than last year? I believe we are. The hangover from the Davy Fitz era has no been shaken and the managers have had a season to instill their philosophy on the team. We were there or there abouts last year despite giving all the impetus to Cork and allowing them to dictate the play.

This will not happen this year and I believe that Cork are also not as strong as last year, albeit still a very good team with excellent forwards. Remember after losing to them we beat Wateford, Limerick and Tipp. They just got over the line with Waterford, drew with 14 man Limerick and drew with Tipp after throwing away a 9 point lead.

With that being said we have had serious issues playing Cork since 2013 and this needs to end now. No better place to do it than a Munster final. If we can defend like tigers, like we did against Limericks free scoring forwards then I believe we will win the game. Cork lads think Cadogan can nullify Conlon. This would surprise me, but if they do that will go a long way towards beating us. I am confident though Conlon on current form has the beating of any full back in the country. He is hurler of the year so far IMO. He was double marked against Limerick for parts and still won the ball.

The addition of Duggan to the team has been vital, not only in what he brings from general play and placed balls but it also allows us to push Conlon into the full forward line where he is most dangerous. Assuming Morey is fit - I would go with the same team as the last day although if I had to make 1 change it would be a straight swap Fitzgerald for Malone."
I agree that we have a great chance of adding a munster title its been 20 years seem to fit with the timeframe for teams like Clare every 20 or so years we have very good team.

This year we are hurling more off cuff we have more leaders very settled team and a very reliable free taker better goal keeper more experience management also.

Team is positioned lot better also match ups now working well and impact subs now Conor McGrath will come into form very soon he did ok when he came on David Fitz will probably not start great man to have on line Ian Galvin now proven as a huge impact player you would nearly be tempted to start him Cian Dillon so experienced and skillful Deasy Corry Taylor Hayes O Neill O Malley also offer options and the utility man Jason McCarthy of course.

Cork still very hard to beat tradition cuteness ect but we need not fear them we need to force them like Limerick did to puck ball long not to allow them to work it out push up on them. They have a few players at back and midfield that make them tick Christopher Joyce Mark Coleman Daniel Kearney Dara Fitzgibbon that set up the likes of Harnody/ Horgan/ Lehane and we will have find a way of reducing their influence. If you are first to ball control is with you.

I really feel we can do it never better placed

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 467 - 21/06/2018 10:15:11    2113508

Link

Cathal Malone does a fantastic amount of work for the team. Just picking lads cos they are better hurlers was an error than we fell into too often in the last few years. A team needs a balance.

Morey and Fitz are fantastic hurlers but their workrate is not as good as malone. We have a nice balance to the team now, Malone is a good foil for Galvin. If it was Fitzgerald, he would be bombing up the field leaving holes.

Morey/Fitz, Jason Mac, Ian Galvin and Conor McGrath all add pace to the team as the 2nd half of games kicks on.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 984 - 22/06/2018 11:45:20    2113726

Link

It looks like the bandwagon is back on the rails and the team will have fantastic support in Thurles Sunday week. Amazing - there is real faith in this team again. Another reason to be optimistic for the match.

Last year was a total farce and embarassment to be a Clare fan looking at the sea of red.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1986 - 23/06/2018 02:22:16    2113832

Link

Reidy and Moloney appeals to be heard today. Reidy will be ok but from what i have heard I cant see how Moloney can get away without a ban.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1986 - 23/06/2018 14:01:54    2113887

Link

Different numbers of supporters this year,same result . Cork miles ahead in the leadership and brains department. So very disappointing a second half. Cĺeary and Malone not up to that speed of game. They aren't good enough.

PeggyShippen (Limerick) - Posts: 300 - 01/07/2018 19:02:52    2117329

Link

Replying To PeggyShippen:  "Different numbers of supporters this year,same result . Cork miles ahead in the leadership and brains department. So very disappointing a second half. Cĺeary and Malone not up to that speed of game. They aren't good enough."
13 point turn around in this match...clare not as good as they looked against limerick....what a match ye have in store now with davy waiting for ye.

munsterchamps (Limerick) - Posts: 810 - 01/07/2018 19:27:36    2117341

Link