Carlow Forum

Hurlers 2019 Season

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

There is a nice blend of experienced guys and some new lads in the panel. Also the value of a strong Fitzgibbon team in Carlow IT is gradually becoming apparent - lads are hurling against the Munster colleges backboned by senior players from down there. Given the success of the college and matching the best out there has brought on lads like mouse Kavanagh, young Nolan this year, with a few other Carlow men involved both this year and previously.

Having 2-3 players involved every year or so with the IT has to be of assistance to the senior Carlow team. Given we are light on numbers in the county, such development structures almost 'hot house' players through exposure to the best that is out there and bring them on no end. The set up seems very professional. As an aside, I wonder is DJ being 'hot housed' himself for when Cody goes ??

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 445 - 14/03/2019 12:47:57    2172208

Link

Will the red card Edward Byrne got in the relegation play-off rule him out of the first round of the championship in Salthill? It seems like a similar situation to Conor Delaney and Seamus Harnedy.

Ashwielder (Carlow) - Posts: 84 - 21/03/2019 13:22:55    2174182

Link

We are ranked 11th in Hurling which is a huge achievement . I would argue we should be 10th ahead of Laois
Really looking forward to Leinster games .

The Joe MC Donagh also looks very competitive
Laois
Offaly
Kerry
Westmeath
Antrim
All in the hunt

Maybe there in lies argument for B championship in football

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 389 - 13/04/2019 08:17:33    2178646

Link

Replying To Blackbog:  "We are ranked 11th in Hurling which is a huge achievement . I would argue we should be 10th ahead of Laois
Really looking forward to Leinster games .

The Joe MC Donagh also looks very competitive
Laois
Offaly
Kerry
Westmeath
Antrim
All in the hunt

Maybe there in lies argument for B championship in football"
The tiered structure is the way to go for the football. I can't see what's the argument. Sur why not let all the club's here in the county play football at the one grade if not..

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2559 - 13/04/2019 12:35:25    2178662

Link

Replying To old yellar:  "The tiered structure is the way to go for the football. I can't see what's the argument. Sur why not let all the club's here in the county play football at the one grade if not.."
It's called the All Ireland for a reason lads. Be careful what ye wish for here...

There's already a tiered competition and thats called the league. Too many people listening and reading the likes of Colm O Rourke, Brolly (div 4 this year) and others who have the luxury of all Ireland medals and speak off high horses, prescribing medicine for the 'rest'

The comparison between the hurling and football championships just is not the same. No division 4 team in hurling would ever beat a division 1 or 2 team in a million years. That's not the same in football. Hope springs ethereal, just like the Kildare match last year. Give me that, over any Tommy 'Cooper' cup final where the handle falls. Call it whatever you want, but it will over ever be forgotten about scraps

Passer_By (Carlow) - Posts: 449 - 13/04/2019 18:20:44    2178696

Link

Yes indeed, the old long shot championship, how wonderful it is.

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2559 - 13/04/2019 21:11:27    2178708

Link