Antrim Forum

Denial of Underage Transfers unreasonable ?

(Oldest Posts First)

So when will the debate take place and will the unreasonable bye law be amended ?

DRA ruling ? Brolly rules again.

http://sportsdra.ie/documents/DRA06-015-award.pdf

wondering (Antrim) - Posts: 96 - 29/05/2015 13:00:43    1729953

Link

I'll try this one more time!
Why was this allowed to happen?

Rules_man (Armagh) - Posts: 152 - 18/06/2015 11:44:35    1738926

Link

I agree there should be freedom of movement - against a human right to choose, - at least now the will for participation overrules the rule.

wondering (Antrim) - Posts: 96 - 18/06/2015 12:11:19    1738949

Link

This will open the flood gates. Smaller clubs need protected. Whats the point in putting work into a juvenile teams when the big teams can just come and hand pick your best player's.

StillWater2 (Antrim) - Posts: 32 - 18/06/2015 13:06:41    1738992

Link

Smaller clubs in Belfast would need to watch as the sharks are circuling.

Rules_man (Armagh) - Posts: 152 - 21/06/2015 12:33:50    1740170

Link

Disaster for smaller urban clubs

christy sting (Derry) - Posts: 259 - 22/06/2015 09:08:13    1740602

Link

As a member of a smaller club who have feel victim to underage transfers i think it will be an unbridalled disaster should this become the norm. Currently it is difficult enough to operate at underage level and if this were to become frequent practise we might as well quit at underage now. The GAA often preach about your club, your parish so they make it completely illegal for a juvenile transfer to take place barring mitigating circumstances which would have to be quite exceptional.

SaffNBArmy (Antrim) - Posts: 15 - 22/06/2015 17:11:54    1741097

Link

SaffNBArmy
County: Antrim

1741097 As a member of a smaller club who have feel victim to underage transfers i think it will be an unbridalled disaster should this become the norm. Currently it is difficult enough to operate at underage level and if this were to become frequent practise we might as well quit at underage now. The GAA often preach about your club, your parish so they make it completely illegal for a juvenile transfer to take place barring mitigating circumstances which would have to be quite exceptional.

SaffNBArmy, think you need to talk a look at your values. the bottom line is if a kid isnt happy at a club, why would you keep him there against his will? Who is winning here? Certainly not the club or the player. Instead, why dont clubs concentrate on creating an environment where players will want to stay involved, and if a player wants to leave its morally wrong to make him stay. Only in the GAA. Dinosaur.

GAANTRIM (Antrim) - Posts: 26 - 24/06/2015 10:38:33    1741959

Link

This is not a new thing, I remember more than 20 yrs ago playing one team in the minor chapionship who had a county minor playing for them while a few years later at u21 the same guy was turning out for their city neighbours. Likewise I went to uni with lads who gravitated towards the same club by their late teens in search of playing at a higher level. Only one of the guys made any sort of splash at the new club but it did deny the clubs that they came through with first team players.

Naysayer (Antrim) - Posts: 2071 - 24/06/2015 10:55:36    1741968

Link

GAANTRIM that is a completly ridiculous statement, suggesting that i take a look at my values!! It would seem you come from a club were poaching underage players is the norm because that it what is happening. It is not children being unhappy at a club, it's other bigger clubs thinking they have a right to turn young player's heads with the ideology of joining a bigger and better team. If this is what the foundations and ethos of the GAA is based upon then i am shocked because i always adhered to the adage, 'you can pick your friends but you can't pick your parish' - if a player turns 18 and wants to leave a club all well and good as he is responsible to make his own dicisions at that age but when you have lads of 13 and 14 who are being coveted by other clubs then it is an utter disgrace and if you, as a GAA man, think that it is socially acdeptable then you really need to take a hard look at your morals.

SaffNBArmy (Antrim) - Posts: 15 - 25/06/2015 09:55:19    1742377

Link

well firstly no, I dont come from a club that 'poach' underage players. I come from an intermediate club in Antrim. And for the record youd be hard pushed to find a club in Antrim thats ethos is to actively go and poach players. What I take great umbridge to is when a kid who wants to play for another team, where yes his friends are, and/or in the case were he may be greatly unhappy at his present club where maybe there is a fall with his teammates or coaches, can you honestly say its morally correct to prevent him from leaving? Obviously im totally against clubs poaching players if it happens but what im talking about is a club selfishly ignoring what might be best for a young man as an indiviudal. Surely you must agree with that?

GAANTRIM (Antrim) - Posts: 26 - 25/06/2015 10:33:23    1742408

Link

No club should covet other players at whatever age that is not acceptable but in saying that if a young person is unhappy at a club for whatever reason is it not a duty for the club to let him go and play for another rather than loss a young person to another sport. My son changed clubs years ago at the age of 16 not because he wanted a bigger better club but because he was unhappy were he was, he never felt part of the club so he moved on not to bigger or better but to a place he feels he belongs. I found that hard to take but when it came down to he plays for another club or he does not play at all it was easy.

BT1 (Antrim) - Posts: 1 - 18/08/2015 08:54:32    1771773

Link

i think this is an issue in Belfast, certain clubs have benefitted from it down the years moreso than other clubs.

Personally, I would rather be successful with lads who have been with the club for a long stretch, rather than some blow ins.

johnanthony (Antrim) - Posts: 169 - 19/08/2015 12:10:07    1772435

Link

Smaller clubs are struggling to survive and the majority of transfers I have witnessed are boys transferring to the bigger club then quitting football by the age of twenty, whereas they'd still be playing if they'd stuck with the club of their roots. Its a pertinent issue in Belfast and the big clubs may shoot themselves in the foot by poaching these players, as they'll no longer have anybody to play against as evidenced my the number of amalgamations now having to be done underage. I would like to add I find Joe Brolly a hypocrite in that he waxed on about the Seanie Johnstone saga being sacrilegious to the GAA ethos, yet he is happy to represent players transfer requests when they are moving from a smaller club (Lisburn) to his own club St.Brigids

spy_in_the_sky (Antrim) - Posts: 273 - 19/08/2015 17:10:40    1772712

Link