Antrim Forum

Football Leagues 2015

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Good ideas there regarding Championships - whatever way they are run I think leagues aligned to championship is the way forward.

I agree that Aghagallon have probably regressed since they won the Intermediate Championship though you also have to remember had it not been for collusion between a couple of clubs that they would probably still be in Division 2 this year.

Naysayer (Antrim) - Posts: 2071 - 09/03/2015 08:16:31    1700634

Link

What's the latest thoughts on how the league tables look at the minute? Aghagallon are running away with Div3 as expected and I imagine look like a good thing to drop zero points! Div2 looking as tight as ever! Slightly surprised by how St. Paul's are performing, thought they would of had more about them!

opposition (Antrim) - Posts: 41 - 13/05/2015 09:19:35    1723034

Link

opposition if you had asked that question a week ago I would have had a different answer but seeing Lamh Dhearg easily dispatch St Galls on Sunday they have to now be strongly considered along with Galls and Cargin for Div 1. I said at the start of the season that St Teresa's jiggery pokery with GNM last season would see their natural good progress accelerated unnaturally to their determent and so it looks as they are on their way back down.

In Div 2 St Brigids look like they have themselves sorted out and are on their way back up - who joins them I am not sure though Moneyglass might be favourites at this stage with St Pauls looking vulnerable and Ballymena being particularly disappointing. Relegation from Div 2 is anybody's guess especially given Glenavy always seem to be struggling before doing enough.

Div 3 - agree that Aghagallon will probably go through the league unbeaten - should never have been down last season and there does exist a gap between leagues - on difficult to know who will join them for promotion as Div 3 and 4 have been amalgamated so hard to judge teams performance so far given the disparity in some teams in this division. Again if you had asked before the weekend I would have said OD's or Davitts to go up until their seemingly surprise defeats but now I am thinking Glenravel in the mix as well while Dunloy, Antrim and Ardoyne also merit a mention.

Naysayer (Antrim) - Posts: 2071 - 13/05/2015 10:26:14    1723058

Link

I wasn't overly surprised at Lamh Dhearg beating St Galls at the weekend past and had predicted it on the other post - the reason was that having played at Hannastown manys a time it can be windy there when it is a lovely day elsewhere. A quick check of the weather forecast for Sunday past in Hannastown showed that there was going to be a very strong wind in the afternoon and rain which I just thought would favour the Lamhs given they are used to the conditions up there. I still think when it comes to the end of the season it will be between St Galls and Cargin. As for relegation its not looking good at the moment for Aldergrove or St Teresas.

In Div 2 St Brigids are looking good already for promotion at this early stage and if I had to punt for who will be joining them I would say Moneyglass though there are a couple of teams there who will be in the mix. Hard to tell at this stage who will go down as there isn't a huge gap between 5th and 10th place as only 3 points between them (allowing Ballymena and Sarsfields have a game to play still which if there is a winner will move one of them on to 7 points).

Division 3 should see Aghagallon back up out but who will be joining them is a lot harder to call. As Naysayer pointed out its hard to get a true picture of this Division at this juncture given that the last years Div 4 teams were amalgamated in for the Grading Round so it means you are going to have some very one sided games in this league and I haven't the time to look at who the other potential promotion teams have played so far. If Glenravel win their game in hand against Éire óg they move 2 points clear of a pack of 5 other teams on 8 points but if they don't then you are sitting with 6 teams on 8 points and 1 on 7 after 6 games. Could be interesting come the split as I reckon you're going to see teams missing out on score difference (or whatever they are using to determine).

Offside_Rule (Antrim) - Posts: 3958 - 13/05/2015 11:16:21    1723076

Link

Indeed the football league system is very interesting much more so than the hurling with the forthcoming retstructure. In division 1 I feel it will come down to the Lamhs and Cargin with both benefitting with some of their more experienced players opting out of playing county football (which is a crying shame in my view). LD also a lot younger and rumours circulating boys could be off to the states for the summer (dont blame them). In term of relegation I am near certain it will be Aldergrove and St.Teresas for the drop with player availability affecting both. Will be interesting if who ever wins the battle between the two in the upcoming weeks can use it as impetus and try drag Aghohill and Rossa into a survival scrap but somehow I doubt it.

Div 2- St Brides barring collapse should win the division, I definitely feel division 2 isnt as strong as previous years with traditional heavyweights Portglenone, St.Teresas and Aghagallon departing the division. St Endas picking up wins is surprising as I certainly didnt rate them last seas.on maybe the very talented set of recent minors have matured and been given a more prominent role. I hear all is not well in Rasharkin and maybe they will be dragged into the relegation battle. Perrenial relegation dodgers Glenavy usually come good latter in the season which could leave Tir Na Nog in trouble.

DIV 3- Aghagallon far too good for this league and I honestly think they would beat several division one teams. The jury is out whether divison 3 will provide effective preparation for a tilt at Intermediate Championship because I definitely view them as dark horses. The rest of the teams bar the bottom 3/4 can all beat each other on any given day as evidenced by the results thus far. I actually believe the expanded division and forthcoming split has worked well as only Ballycastle and Mitchells seem to be significantly out of their depth and Ballycastle can be a tough prospect at home as seen with a narrow one point loss to Antrim. in regards to the second promotion position I feel Glenravel will do just enough to take it. The split will be interesting as there will be a cluster of teams in and around the split line I feel Eire Og and Dunloy could be the teams who miss out with Eire Og taking the 3B shield. However still early days and a very interesting season awaits

spy_in_the_sky (Antrim) - Posts: 273 - 13/05/2015 14:38:55    1723222

Link

All this being said about the leagues being interesting it must be remembered that no one really cares about League titles and as long as your not in danger of relegation then its all focus on championship.

'leagues are for playing in Championships are for winning' just ask any St Galls or Cargin man.

wondering (Antrim) - Posts: 96 - 13/05/2015 15:22:25    1723253

Link

wondering I would disagree - what you are saying about not being of interest would maybe apply to winning Div 1 but I would say all relegation and promotion issues are of importance to most clubs with a sniff of either and in the 3 divisions that could be as many as 20 + teams.

Naysayer (Antrim) - Posts: 2071 - 13/05/2015 15:33:29    1723258

Link

I agree with Naysayer on this, i often feel the line spouted about leagues are for playing etc works for clubs who lose their way in leagues and then throw their lot into championship. For example, last year i wonder when st endas or sarsfields had their pre season sit down did they say 'we are going to win the IFC' or was it a case of lets get out of division 3 and when championship comes we will deal with that problem when it comes about? likewise, would their meetings this year have consisted of 'lets give IFC a rattle this year' or would it be a case of lets get points on the board hit the ground running, try stay in div 2 and then lets see where we are about championship time. i would say similar conversations happen around the county to be honest.

the_watcher (Antrim) - Posts: 128 - 16/05/2015 11:32:22    1724178

Link

This was posted as a new thread but has been incorporated here as it is the same subject matter.

gaalegend9876
Antrim 11/08/2015 11:22

Division 2 football

Any predictions on who we think are going to get relegated?! With 3 games to go only a point separates second bottom and fifth! With many of the teams around that still to play eachother. What are everyone's thoughts?!

Administrator (None) - Posts: 2199 - 11/08/2015 11:23:55    1767893

Link

I thought the Paddies were gone but the last 2 results would say otherwise. What happened here? Still fancy them and Tir Na Og to fall. Whats the thoughts of others on the Div 2 relegation?

StillWater2 (Antrim) - Posts: 32 - 11/08/2015 11:54:48    1767928

Link

Could all be academic as there is talk of another restructuring to the leagues coming next season, with 12 teams in the top 2 divisions.

Would make more sense IMO due to the disparity in standards in the current 14 team div 3.

johnanthony (Antrim) - Posts: 169 - 11/08/2015 12:19:50    1767955

Link

Paddies look to have came good last two games since Championship defeat it looks to be working out in their favour. I think div 2 is too tight to call who will go down at the minute, maybe after tomorrow's set of results we will know more. Many teams will be feeling the pressure, great round of matches tomorrow night.

gaalegend9876 (Antrim) - Posts: 2 - 11/08/2015 13:03:21    1767996

Link