Antrim Forum

Under 21 Football Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Naysayer I couldn't answer that to be honest. I have been away from creggan for a good many years now so wouldn't know many of the young fellas knocking about, nor do I know much about whitehill. I can say though that at whatever age group I played against randalstown in it was always close no matter which team was seen to be the favourites, the derby and familiarity between the players was always a big leveller.

frankbhoy77 (Antrim) - Posts: 1300 - 21/11/2014 14:18:58    1673969

Link

Lamh Dhearg comfortable victors in the end of what was a good game of football despite the slippy conditions, just too powerful for Portglenone. I assume they will probably meet St Johns in what should be an excellent final.

Naysayer (Antrim) - Posts: 2071 - 22/11/2014 17:23:11    1674222

Link

Interesting finals coming up on Sunday with the 2 fixtures from the grading section providing the 4 finalists. "A" final looks a cracker with Lamh Dhearg and St John's, with both teams looking fairly even. This Lamh Dhearg team hasn't quite kicked on since minor so this final presents a last chance for this crop of players. The win over Portglenone shows they've come on from last year and I fancy them to beat the Johnies who have had a quiet enough passage to the final with arguably the toughest match coming against Creggan. Undoubtably it'll be a tight game but with the Hannahstown men being a little bit more battle hardened I fancy them to just pip it by a point or 2.

"B" final looks a slightly more clear cut affair with Creggan expected to overcome Glenravel. Creggan will have been disappointed to be in second tier such is their great record in the competition. I think the fact they play a much higher standard of football than Glenravel should give them an advantage here. In fairness to Glenravel they held Lamh Dhearg to 7 points and overcome Glenavy and Randalstown, 2 teams expected to turn them over easily, so certainly they've earned their spot in the final and talking to friend who was at the Randalstown game they seemed to be worth their victory so certainly they are dark horses. Expect it to be tight enough but Creggan should pull through to win with a few points to spare.

Glens_gael1 (Antrim) - Posts: 13 - 26/11/2014 15:49:47    1675044

Link

U21 - So St Johns and Creggan cam out on top in the A & B championships.

Who will be favs for next year ? I reckon St Johns are hot favs to retain it with all but 2 or 3 of yesterdays team available once more.

wondering (Antrim) - Posts: 96 - 01/12/2014 10:33:07    1675716

Link

Impressive victory for St Johns in this years Championship all in when you consider they won every game with breathing space. Well done also to Creggan for winning the B competition.

While I am in favour of the A and B format to give these guys a chance at a few championship games I cannot help but think we possibly saw two of the stronger teams at U21 level compete in the B final given they lost to the A finalists St Johns and Lamh Dhearg in the grading round but then I suppose that is just the luck of the draw.

Also good that we got through this years competition with a clean bill of health after the shenanigans of last years event.

Well done to all involved.

Naysayer (Antrim) - Posts: 2071 - 01/12/2014 12:24:41    1675739

Link