Antrim Forum

Antrim football

(Oldest Posts First)

As a long term admirer of Antrim football, it pained me to see the shambles last Sunday. Can I ask a few questions, where are a lot of your good players that played last year in the championship. Why are so few St Galls players playing. I hope to see Antrim football on the rise again.

room2 (Monaghan) - Posts: 93 - 09/04/2013 21:56:53    1364501

Link

Hear what u say room2, we are rubbish at the moment and things look bleak indeed under present management. We seem to be a county without a semblance of pride at the moment, and although hope does spring eternal I cannot see things getting any better.

Ramblingman (Antrim) - Posts: 67 - 10/04/2013 16:51:56    1364993

Link

I believe we need every player of county standard on the panel not sitting in the stand ,I thought when we got Sean Mc Veigh back from London that he and big Gallagher would be great in midfield with Michael Mc Cann in font of them we could go places ,so disappointed we look like we are going backwards please sort this out now we have 7 weeks to the championship and me and all the fans who go all over the country supporting the team deserve this just want to get back to the days of Ulster finals I was so proud of the team remember we beat Donegal that year who a few years later were all Ireland champions why can't we ?

seanor37 (Antrim) - Posts: 9 - 10/04/2013 18:19:55    1365097

Link

To be brutally honest, the Ulster final run of 2009 papered over the gaping holes in our structure as a county. That championship run was built on the back of about half of the starting fifteen training flat out for two years at Sigerson level in college. It was a total anomaly that we had so many players in university at the time and it is unlikely to ever happen again. Top level GAA is a simple combination of learned skill and hard work on the training field. The more training you do to compliment the learned skill, the better chance you have of succeeding; once these players left university they were no longer training and competing at the same level of intensity and thus their performances declined.

As far as the learned skill goes, we are obviously failing badly at juvenille level by not providing coaching in our schools to a high enough standard. IN my honest opinion, Dunsuilly will make no difference to our fortunes at senior level. The money would have been better spent sending coaches into primary schools to start working with our youngest children on a weekly basis.

Look at the facts: we consistently get absolutely battered in the first round of the Ulster minor championship (it's quite common for us to score less than five points in these games). I don't remember the last time we won an U-21 championship game, even when that team of '09 were of age. How can we expect to succeed at senior when we are so abjectly poor going down through the age groups?

duirtancharraig (Antrim) - Posts: 22 - 11/04/2013 09:24:05    1365362

Link

There's no real interest in the Saffron jersey amongst certain clubs and players. Antrim is a very divided county football and hurling wise and many simply cannot put aside their differences, disagreements, feuds, egos etc for the greater good. The city sides don't like each other, the rurals sides dislike each other and city and rural despise each other. I have said on many occasions that some of the rural teams have a massive chip about Belfast and the city being the centre of the GAA in Antrim.

Ulsterman (Antrim) - Posts: 9216 - 11/04/2013 14:03:10    1365688

Link

We're in a very bad way. No pride in our county. No supporters attend games (very few anyhow).

Majority of our best players dont want to play for the County. When i say that i mean the St Gall's players (majority of them).

Of our starting team the last few days very few of them would make St Galls starting team. That is a sad state of affairs.

CLG_09 (Antrim) - Posts: 42 - 11/04/2013 14:06:13    1365694

Link

true words duirtancharraig

Topa_the_left (Antrim) - Posts: 250 - 11/04/2013 19:39:38    1366176

Link

There are a lot of true words here. As a county we have had some very successful football and hurling club sides, my own included. However this has never been translated into the county teams. I have been very critical in the past of some players from my own club stepping away from the county setup. However feedback from these players has lead me to believe the county setup does not match their expectations. Not that they are pre-madonas, but the county expects commitment from the players, so why should not the players expect more from officials.
Antrim as a county need to be a little more professional in their approach. Dawsey is a very tough, uncompromising manager. I don't know if he did the right thing with the two Cargin boys, but as I said he is uncompromising. Managers and players need more support from officials that is where the pride has to start, or the likes of Dunsilly will be a white elephant.

galled (Antrim) - Posts: 251 - 11/04/2013 22:05:40    1366318

Link

While not being a big fan of gaelic football and I confess to only watching 2 Antrim football matches in my life, for the love of god, why does our county implode year after year in either hurling or football.

I believe Frank Dawson has totally lost the run off himself in telling Scullion and McCann not to come to the match because they didnt travel on the bus to a hotel.

The players from what I have read about seem to be very good footballers so why was there no compromise?

Why did the county board not intervene at the time and why havent they tried to sort this mess out?

Can Antrim afford to be without these 2 players come championship?

After Wallacegate last year you'd think the county board would learn but oh no, another scandal rears its head.

So can I ask the powers that be to sort this scandal out because it seems we only make the headlines in the papers negatively and maybe try to make some positive headlines!!!

goalgetter (Antrim) - Posts: 87 - 12/04/2013 13:04:20    1366520

Link

You don't know if Dawson was right in how how treated the Cargin duo in the anniversary mass affair???.....Get a grip Galled, of course he was absolutely wrong and if u care to read what Brendan Crossan had to say in the "boot room" in to-day's Irish News perhaps u will understand........Mr Dawson was not only disrespectful to the players involved but to their entire family.........wonder if a gall's player had been involved in this shambolic affair would you still have offered such opinion??

Ramblingman (Antrim) - Posts: 67 - 12/04/2013 13:27:07    1366545

Link

Just for fun. Would this Antrim team of players who for one reason or another beat the team that lined out against Monaghan?

Chris Kerr

Kieran McGourty
Paul Doherty
Andy McClean

Deaghlan O'Hagan
Sean Kelly
James Loughrey

Michael McCann
Niall McKeever

Kevin McGourty
Mark Sweeney
Kevin Brady

CJ McGourty
Michael Magill
Ryan Murray

duirtancharraig (Antrim) - Posts: 22 - 13/04/2013 19:26:28    1367142

Link

For fun?
that team wouldn't beat Monaghan but the re-introduction of Niall McKeever would be awesome.
I wonder if he would come back like Clarke did.

Rules_man (Armagh) - Posts: 152 - 14/04/2013 08:17:25    1367224

Link

Hear the expected panel for the Championship game v Monaghan will raise a few eyebrows with several ommissions and more than a few introductions. Controversy will reign and we will most likely lose again..........bring back the Baker and look for lost pride.

Ramblingman (Antrim) - Posts: 67 - 17/04/2013 14:20:22    1369201

Link

I see the row has continued. Can anyone shed any light why Kevin or C.J MC Gourty are not on the panel?. Is Big Gallagher injured?

room2 (Monaghan) - Posts: 93 - 19/04/2013 13:46:05    1370330

Link

room2 they chose not to get involved this year, mind you Kevin was talking to his correspondent in the Irish News today about the possibility of a comeback. If he does it must beat Sugar Ray Leonard's record of comebacks.

Topa_the_left (Antrim) - Posts: 250 - 19/04/2013 15:40:28    1370436

Link

I can tell u topa the left that neither of the mc gourty bros, CJ or kevin were asked to participate................such immediately hinted at the questionable decision making qualities of Dawson i think.

Ramblingman (Antrim) - Posts: 67 - 19/04/2013 17:21:02    1370503

Link

that's hard to believe given their talent and the fact Dawson is supposed to be a Galls man. I imagine he's lost Michael McCann now as well after the treatment of his bother and brother in law so that's another masterstroke. Surprised to hear that Sean Kelly has rejoined at this stage, maybe something can be gained from all of this.

Topa_the_left (Antrim) - Posts: 250 - 19/04/2013 20:03:55    1370563

Link

At the end of the day lads if antrim want to progress their best players must be playing. St galls have proved time and again their footballers have the experience and temperament to play county football so i personally believe as many of them should be playing in the county team as possible. The likes of andy mclean sean kelly aodhan gallagher kevin kieran and CJ mcgourty plus karl stewart should all be coaxed into playing from the outset. Then the cream of the rest of the county should only add to this paddy cunningham brendan herron declan lynch john finucane are all proven. The cargin men such as tomas and michael mccann scullion crozier and magill cannot be faulted as they will train or play anywhere to get their hands on a saffron jersey, its just unfortunate michael mccann wasnt available. At the end of the day dawson knows the players that should be playing and he should be busting his arse to get them to play!!

St_Mals_Man (Antrim) - Posts: 13 - 21/04/2013 16:48:29    1371095

Link