Antrim Forum

North Belfast Hurling

(Oldest Posts First)

With ST Endas making massive strides in juvenile and now winning the junior championship it is clear that hurling is alive and well.

However further down the road, two proud clubs with a few good hurling people in each have been struggling this last couple of years to get hurling off the ground proper.

Is it time the county sat down with these clubs and got the hurling people in both to put differences aside and create a new hurling club? North Belfast Shamrocks or something liking to this?

Pull together the volunteers from both clubs to form a coaching and executive committee.

Ardoyne have a bare 15 at adult level with some falling away leading to rumours of ardoyne folding, pearses have players eligible to play adult who for parochial reasons wont play for ardoyne, pearse have bare numbers at under age hurling up to u16 but have failed to field in some games due to lack of numbers, so surely the recipe for a new hurling club has its ingredients sitting on the table already, but differences need set a side a new club formed and a new future to look at, one which is bright and non parish political.

Anyone any views on this?

North Side Gael (None) - Posts: 1076 - 17/10/2012 10:27:11    1284282

Link

i take it by saying massive strides at juvenile hurling level you mean they can field at every level in hurling? not a lot in the way off honours, i think this seems a bit of a cheap shot at pearses and kickhams, i think its very hard for clubs in that area to sustain hurling and i hope they do try whatever way they decide. a junior championship would be seen as progress but a bit early to be anything other than that at this time, and its hardly the time to point out other clubs difficulties because of a junior championship win. bit more respect needed here.

POL (Antrim) - Posts: 144 - 17/10/2012 16:25:33    1284510

Link

This is not a pop, this is looking at a solution to the problems faces by both clubs, pearses have been trying now for about 6 years to get hurling of the ground and struggle, ardoyne have always attempted to field, both are excellent proud gaa clubs with a lot of passion and ive no doubt they are doing their best to promote the game, but a lack of hurling enthusiasts in both clubs has lead to a few doing the work of many and whats looks like a degree of burn out of enthusiasm.

As for your pop at st endas, i dont think that is fair or warranted i think the junior title brings us up to intermediate, endas also have under age teams regulary competing, i have a lot of friends in the club and i believe they have made great strides, the fact that they regulary compete with and beat the likes of lougheile and ballycastle at underage speaks more volumes than any cups, for if endas were regulary winning cups at underage hurling they would not need to make strides as they would be at top of their game, and now they have a senior team reflective of this, who knows they may meet your own club next year, wasnt that long ago they were competing with cloughmills with an arguably weaker side than they have now.

North Side Gael (None) - Posts: 1076 - 17/10/2012 16:59:43    1284529

Link

In the same light of this, what about davitts and mc dermotts?

Getting a new 3g training venue in the local park etc maybe they too could benefit from combining their hurling coaching staffs.

North Side Gael (None) - Posts: 1076 - 25/10/2012 11:09:20    1287992

Link

where the 3g pitch going to me ?

redmick (Antrim) - Posts: 92 - 25/10/2012 13:23:11    1288099

Link

Dunville Park directly facing their club houses, perfect location for under age. Both clubs need to cometogether to ensure hurling in lower falls has a team in ten years.

North Side Gael (None) - Posts: 1076 - 25/10/2012 15:26:10    1288192

Link

North Side Gael,

Because your club has won a junior hurling championship or are managing to compete in north antrim juvenile leagues doesnt make youse the benchmark for other 'lesser' clubs.
Im sure Pearses, Ardoyne, Davitts and my own club are well aware of the problems they face in respect of keeping hurling going in their respective areas. All the clubs you have recently mentioned in your posts here and on the official antrim website are trying to ensure hurling keeps going in their clubs. They do not need lectures from anyone about how to ensure its survival, so leave them to it and spare us the patronising posts please.

bumpernut (Antrim) - Posts: 1841 - 26/10/2012 10:54:38    1288551

Link

seem them working there wasnt sure what it was going to be
have to agree i think they should combine and keep the interest in hurling around the falls clonard area because from past experience when i lived there any half decent under age hurler seemed to go to rossa / st johns etc the likes of jim connolly sean kelly ray slane martin devine to name a few all played for clonard and then young maguire from mc dermotts had to play minor for rossa to get a competitive game or 2 so he could play minor county . just a few examples of good talent in the area but the interest wasnt there to hold on to them

redmick (Antrim) - Posts: 92 - 26/10/2012 11:57:20    1288578

Link

seem them working there wasnt sure what it was going to be
have to agree i think they should combine and keep the interest in hurling around the falls clonard area because from past experience when i lived there any half decent under age hurler seemed to go to rossa / st johns etc the likes of jim connolly sean kelly ray slane martin devine to name a few all played for clonard and then young maguire from mc dermotts had to play minor for rossa to get a competitive game or 2 so he could play minor county . just a few examples of good talent in the area but the interest wasnt there to hold on to them

redmick (Antrim) - Posts: 92 - 26/10/2012 11:58:17    1288580

Link

Bumpernut these are ideas, my club winning a junior championship has nothing to do with this.

These are general observations from a concerned gael about my county, do you even know what state juvenile hurling is in these areas? Or was your post just a pop at st endas rather than something constructive, never once have i criticised these clubs or there input to hurling, all i am saying is that there are hurling men in mc dermotts and davitts, yet we have no juvenile teams in the lower falls.

This for me means two things, the clubs alone cant get the kids out and hurling is not available to the youth of the lower falls, so somebody has to do something, if it even means amalgamating at u14 but having seperate teams at u12 so be it but something needs done, i work very closely with hurling coaches from a range of clubs organising blitzes and all the rest but there is nothing more disheartening than seeing gaa clubs trying and not getting anywhere, to date, these clubs have produces u10 teams and u8 teams in recent times but it doesnt come to fruitation, maybe a new strategy needs to be brought in. This my friend is called common sense not patronising or anything else!

North Side Gael (None) - Posts: 1076 - 26/10/2012 12:12:36    1288586

Link

North Side Gael
County: All

1288586 Bumpernut these are ideas, my club winning a junior championship has nothing to do with this.

These are general observations from a concerned gael about my county, do you even know what state juvenile hurling is in these areas? Or was your post just a pop at st endas rather than something constructive, never once have i criticised these clubs or there input to hurling, all i am saying is that there are hurling men in mc dermotts and davitts, yet we have no juvenile teams in the lower falls.

This for me means two things, the clubs alone cant get the kids out and hurling is not available to the youth of the lower falls, so somebody has to do something, if it even means amalgamating at u14 but having seperate teams at u12 so be it but something needs done, i work very closely with hurling coaches from a range of clubs organising blitzes and all the rest but there is nothing more disheartening than seeing gaa clubs trying and not getting anywhere, to date, these clubs have produces u10 teams and u8 teams in recent times but it doesnt come to fruitation, maybe a new strategy needs to be brought in. This my friend is called common sense not patronising or anything else!

Yeah your not being patronising, read your first question again!
There is an issue with Hurling in Belfast in general which isnt specific to individual clubs. Bar St.Johns and Rossa quite a few of the clubs are struggling to field year in year out at every level. It wasnt that long ago Sarsfields and St.Pauls were involved in an amalgamation team and these would be considered two of the bigger clubs in belfast. You dont need, as i said previously, to state the obvious re the lack of interest not only in hurling but GAA games in general in north belfast and the lower falls. As someone whos there on the ground i see it continually and im trying to address it, im sure there are hard working volunteers doing the same for those other clubs you mentioned.

bumpernut (Antrim) - Posts: 1841 - 26/10/2012 12:58:17    1288608

Link

If your on the ground then you will realise that the clubs mentioned have been struggling with hurling for a considerable time now, gort, st pauls, lambh dearg, sarsfields are all on the up in terms of hurling, rossa, st johns and st galls have no problems, neither, however for the clubs i have mentioned this isnt about a barren spell of 5 or ten years they have been struggling for a very long time and their volunteers which are very good to keep any hurling at all within their club deserve more direction and support to do what is right for hurling.

Its not patronising its asking the question, the question people like you dont want to admit has to be asked sometimes, some clubs in north antrim had to face this question a long time ago, its not about community, parish or pride its about doing whats right for hurling in certain areas, i grew up playing against good davitts hurling teams in the old south antrim div 2, and i hope they can come back to fielding at most age levels, as do i hope the same for ardoyne, pearses and mc dermotts, even sadder is that odees dont field at each age level nor do st agnes'es, maybe again at certain age levels could be looked at for hurling amalgamations.

I wish all the hurling volunteers in all these clubs all the best with hurling in their respective clubs, all i ask is that if you only have 6 hurlers at anyone age level, that you act the bigger man and talk to your neighbours about ensuring these lads get hurling and arent standing as subs in the age groups above.

North Side Gael (None) - Posts: 1076 - 26/10/2012 13:20:02    1288620

Link

Gaelic Games are losing out massively to soccer in North Belfast and the people involved in running the 3 North Belfast clubs deserve a medal for what they do.

Ulsterman (Antrim) - Posts: 9216 - 30/10/2012 19:22:45    1290342

Link

No one disputes that ulsterman, im sure st endas based on recent under age achievements are winning the battle with soccer, however the inner city clubs seem to struggle more probably due to the vast majority of north belfast soccer clubs being in the same area as them, pearses and ardoyne have made great steps forward in endorsing the gaa in inner city north belfast, but hurling enthusiasts in both clubs need to pool ideas to ensure the future of the ash game in the inner city part of north belfast and i for one look forward to the day they do, as theres plenty of room in north belfast for another strong hurling club!

North Side Gael (None) - Posts: 1076 - 30/10/2012 21:03:06    1290407

Link