Antrim Forum

Round Robin Beginning to Championship

(Oldest Posts First)

Why do we in Antrim not copy the likes of Tipp, Cork, Clare etc and have a round robin championship?

We have 30 hurling clubs here in Antrim. Why not have it top 6 go into senior championship two groups of 3, with top 2 gaining semi final places, its my honest opinion that north, south and south west should also have teams in this.

Next 9 into 3 groups 3 intermediate, next 9 into 3 groups 3 junior, next 6 into 3 groups 3 junior B!

Could run off first round of championship in April so players are firing on all cylinders from early in the year.

North Side Gael (None) - Posts: 1076 - 27/07/2012 20:29:10    1230972

Link

It would have the same outcome - Loughuile / Cushendall final. They are the two best teams. We need Dunloy, Ballycastle, St. Galls and Rossa to up the ante but that isn't going to happen for various reasons. There is not enough competition in the county football and hurling.

altview (Antrim) - Posts: 114 - 27/07/2012 21:43:05    1231022

Link

Surely it isnt about the outcome though? Surely its about providing the likes of rossa st galls st johns with more quality hurling games to bring the standard of player around the county up?

North Side Gael (None) - Posts: 1076 - 30/07/2012 08:49:29    1233050

Link

NSG we did try that a few times with groups of teams, then the league was used with the top 4 teams meeting in the semis then the final.

neither seemed to work that well so they reverted back to the old system. i personally prefer the current system as i dont think you should enter the championship and lose and maybe win it through a back door. its ok to do that in the all ireland football etc as theres plenty of teams competing and the GAA are looking as much money made as possible.

i would like to see more teams entering into the senior championship but as others say its the top teams in the county that will end up making it through. last year it was good to see st galls do well, albeit at our expense, and shake things up a bit. we need more of that.

Dunloyrealist (Antrim) - Posts: 498 - 30/07/2012 13:05:44    1233418

Link

I know what you mean Dunloy realist but maybe if it was round robin groups of four where the bottom two in each group went into senior b championship or something more may enter.

Round robin is used very successfully in Clare and other top counties, cant see why it cant work here.

North Side Gael (None) - Posts: 1076 - 30/07/2012 17:59:30    1233899

Link

what about putting the beaten teams from the early rounds into the intermediate championship? maybe that would be unfair on the teams in the intermediate. it prob wouldnt work with the grading system anyway.

that said i think that other teams should be encouraged to compete in the senior championship.

Dunloyrealist (Antrim) - Posts: 498 - 31/07/2012 13:20:47    1234428

Link

Maybe if a senior "B" championship was on offer for those knocked out in the first round more may go for it, championships are what makes a club season and if you meet lougheile or cushundall or a couple years ago dunloy in the first round you can be sure your time will be up before its started maybe the extra incenttive though of a senior B championship for the first teams out would be an incentive?

North Side Gael (None) - Posts: 1076 - 31/07/2012 14:14:31    1234499

Link

You could have a "b" SEEDED championship at every level for the teams knocked out in first round.

Say 16 Teams senior with losers going into quarters of senior B (more traditional teams seeded)

8 Intermediate with four defeated going to intermediate "B"

9 Junior with defeated first round teams going to Junior B along with a preliminary loser.

This would open more teams up to getting that winning feeling (success breeds success and all that), you could play the "B" finals as a tripple header in casement.

North Side Gael (None) - Posts: 1076 - 31/07/2012 14:32:31    1234540

Link

sounds good tho getting alot of teams to sign up for the idea is going to be tough. the last few years a few clubs took the easy option and dropped into the intermediate and won it and headed for all ireland finals. i dont think thats the way forward for an established senior club although i do see the reasons behind why they did it.

the senior football and hurling championship is too predictable and has been for a long time. the football is dominated by one team, st galls, and the hurling was over a long peroid by Dunloy/Cushendall and now Loughgiel look to be the team to beat for the foreseable future.

Dunloyrealist (Antrim) - Posts: 498 - 02/08/2012 13:22:26    1236345

Link