Antrim Forum

Aodhan Gallagher quits

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

if this is correct and is the reason he pulled out of the squad then your taking the p*ss spyboy. Nothing wrong with the captain of a team booking themselves a wee holiday in the middle of the season. Wise up. He would have been well aware at the start of the season the dates of all rounds of Ulster championship matches and qualifiers and if he felt he had only a small window of opportunity to go on holiday during the summer he should never have accepted the role of captain and he should have informed management of it and maybe opted off the county panel. And if he didnt because he didnt think they would make it that far its an absoulte disgrace and hes obviusly not captain material. The whole thing is embarassing and an absoulute insult to the guys he trained beside and played with all season. As somebody else said would it have happened in the middle of St galls championship? no chance and thats maybe why he opted to go now. If I can remember correctly he also took himself off somewhere and was unavailable for the replay against Kildare at casement 2 years ago.

2taltohill.2000 (Antrim) - Posts: 104 - 25/07/2012 10:39:07    1228313

Link

There are different ways this can be looked at and as nobody knows the truth both are viable.

1) Aodhan Gallagher has been having personal problems. He plays through these and after helping the team to a victory over Galway tells Baker that he's having these issues and he can't commit to the team anymore. After breaking this news to Baker he decides to book a holiday to try and clear his head.

2) Aodhan Gallagher booked a holiday 6 months ago and decided not to tell Baker as in reality what chance have Antrim of getting to an Ulster final or through the first stage of qualifiers so he'll be free by that stage. This backfired after Antrim beat Galway and he dropped off the panel and the county board and Baker have been lying to us ever since about personal problems.

Same outcome, Gallagher drops off panel and goes on holiday, announcement from board and Baker regarding personal problems. How does anybody know that he didn't notify the management team that he could only commit until the middle of July and was asked to come along anyhow? As I stated I believe he had commitment issues as I understand the reason he didn't start against Galway was because he'd missed training. There are a lot of unknowns here and people are going on hearsay. We know that he's on holiday but do we know if he booked the holiday before or after notifying Baker after the Galway game. If after, then the holiday wasn't the reason he dropped off, as it wasn't booked until after he dropped off. Again until the lad himself answers these questions we don't know. So what I'm objecting to here is the way Antrim fans will jump on players at any opportunity they get, makes you wonder why anyone would want to play for the county.

spyboy (Antrim) - Posts: 343 - 25/07/2012 11:13:22    1228355

Link

Thats a fair point spyboy....

Cmills Fan. (Antrim) - Posts: 508 - 25/07/2012 12:17:27    1228456

Link

Spyboy I dont usually get involved in petty tit for tat arguements on this forum so this will be my last post on the subject. My initial post was not without thought at all, do I have to spell out every minute detail of my thought process for you or are you able to read between the lines and interpret this for yourself? Everyone who follows GAA knows these dates in advance so why should I have to point out the obvious to you? or perhaps I over estimated you?

I know for a fact that this holiday was booked way in advance of the Galway game.
I know only too well of the commitment involved in the intercounty scene as I have close friends and family involved at intercounty level.
I was at the game and if he'd played we'd definitely have won as we have no strength in depth so in my book he shoulders the blame!
When he pulls on that shirt he is representing all of us in the county, time someone else who is willing to put holidays on hold for the cause was given game time from the start of the year.

oso (Antrim) - Posts: 148 - 25/07/2012 12:28:09    1228473

Link

He has always said he would love to represent Antrim in hurling now would be a good time for him to make the switch. I watched him in Loughgiel in eh semi-final against Cushendall and he was mighty, especially in the air he caught everything as did CJ.

Brian_Coyote (Antrim) - Posts: 327 - 25/07/2012 15:56:41    1228809

Link

so when can someone who plays for Antrim book a holiday I take it that you lads who are on here put your holidays on hold over the summer untill we are out off every competition,think not.

NEAS (Antrim) - Posts: 125 - 25/07/2012 20:02:26    1229081

Link

If I trained 3/4 nights weeks every week from January (possibly even before that) I most certainly wouldn't be booking a holiday come championship, why put that effort in?! It's about time players took pride in playing the sport we all love (and this amateurism excuse is a load of tosh, it's why we love it) and pride in the county where we all live and maybe our fortunes in Eire would change!

antrimgael (Antrim) - Posts: 44 - 26/07/2012 17:11:39    1229818

Link

We have to ensure it doesn't happen next year - use it as a learning curve and move on!! If players commit then it should be for the whole summer !!

altview (Antrim) - Posts: 114 - 27/07/2012 12:55:10    1230384

Link

We have had that many learning curves we should be dizzy by now

srb (Antrim) - Posts: 344 - 29/07/2012 19:38:44    1232766

Link

so where did paddy cunningham go,did'nt hear to much about him and what about cj

NEAS (Antrim) - Posts: 125 - 29/07/2012 21:59:48    1233023

Link

This was posted as a new thread but as the subject matter is the same it has been incorporated here.

VODAFONE
Fermanagh
06/12/2012
17:24

A Gallagher

Pity to see Gallagher out this year too. What is the issue to why he cant play?. A great player and stalwart

Administrator (None) - Posts: 2199 - 06/12/2012 17:36:46    1307402

Link

Sorry guys only seeing the thread now.
Interesting if he had a holiday booked, poor for captain to do, but how does that explain this years withdrawal too??? Was chatting a player on fermanagh panel who has his wedding this year in September. He asked Canavan for a date to have his stag and was told wkd in feburary is the only date he can go. Fermanagh For sam????

VODAFONE (Fermanagh) - Posts: 80 - 06/12/2012 17:42:30    1307409

Link