Antrim Forum

Ulster minor final

(Oldest Posts First)

Down run out winners this year after a 18 year gap but what happened Sambos boys and why do the other lads not play.

sliothar (Antrim) - Posts: 339 - 15/07/2012 17:50:44    1217954

Link

What other lads sloither

jeremiah (Down) - Posts: 322 - 15/07/2012 20:06:10    1218178

Link

Dont understand how Domhnall quinn didnt start who i have saw in various competitions around Antrim where he has been fantastic, started in Ulster mid-field for the successful St.Johns team of last year, is an All-star and yet Sambo starts his son?? think that really answers your question! If Antrim hurling is going to progress managers like this need to disappear! Another person who sat on the bench is Michael Bradley, personally thought he should have started

inoall (Antrim) - Posts: 28 - 15/07/2012 21:23:20    1218361

Link

Domhnall Quinn didnt start or play any part in the Ulster Final replay as he slept in (Match was at 1pm) and turned up at half time for the match. Michael Bradley never hit leather in the 1st match so I think he played himself out of contention. I don't believe you can blame Sambo for playing his son. He is the top scorer for Ruairi Og Minor team this year as well as the top scorer in the U16 Hurling age group this year as well.

The problem with Antrim Minors on Sunday was too many players didnt perform to anywere near their potential and win their position. John McGoldrick, Ruairi Diamond, Maol Connolly, Paddy Burke, Conor Johnston, Ciaran Johnston, Niall McKenna, Ryan McCambridge, Jackson McGreevey, M

goalgetter (Antrim) - Posts: 87 - 16/07/2012 09:55:19    1218551

Link

Can't believe anyone would question Sambo McNaughton after all he has done for Antrim hurling. The dedication he has shown to the minor team this year alone is phenomenal. Hang your head in shame. I am a St. Galls man with no agenda on this issue, that's a ridiculous post.

altview (Antrim) - Posts: 114 - 16/07/2012 13:18:25    1219009

Link

Sorry, all of my previous post didn't send -

Domhnall Quinn didnt start or play any part in the Ulster Final replay as he slept in (Match was at 1pm) and turned up at half time for the match. Michael Bradley never hit leather in the 1st match so I think he played himself out of contention. I don't believe you can blame Sambo for playing his son. He is the top scorer for Ruairi Og Minor team this year as well as the top scorer in the U16 Hurling age group this year as well.

The problem with Antrim Minors on Sunday was too many players didnt perform to anywere near their potential and win their position. John McGoldrick, Ruairi Diamond, Maol Connolly, Paddy Burke, Conor Johnston, Ciaran Johnston, Niall McKenna, Ryan McCambridge, Jackson McGreevey, Michael Dudley and Gary Lennon all werent great and if you have that many players playing below par winning any match will be hard.

Regarding players that were missing from the panel, I can only speak about my own club Ruairi Og as to why they didnt go - What certain players have told me is that their experience of development squads etc in the past means they dont want to commit to the county!! I know from speaking to players that are there this year that the Development Squads have improved this year with the better players attending, better coaches and structures and this will only help Antrim hurling

goalgetter (Antrim) - Posts: 87 - 16/07/2012 14:01:26    1219116

Link

am i wrong or was sambo's son not on the program as sub keeper . im sure i seen him in the 1st match wearing the sub keepers jersey

redmick (Antrim) - Posts: 92 - 16/07/2012 15:10:52    1219264

Link

Yea Goalsetter but Michael bradley played last year, hes experienced so let me tell you something for free, in big games you play your most experienced players, big difference playing club level and county! Im a city man and to be honest i think mckenna, dudley, johnstons, lennon and mccambridge all hurled rightly and tried hard which is something i couldnt say about the others, think they were Antrim's silver lining on Sat, i just thought the half backs were absolutely awful and that's where they lost the game although i know what your saying when a certain amount of players dont perform you cant win. A fella sitting beside me who was a Galway fan even commented on how downs half forwards stopped everything so why wasnt something done about this??! How can we question Sambo McNaughton?????? they trained one day a week and sambo took himself of to Portugal a few times this year according to a minor i was speaking to after so where's the commitment there? They had only one or two Challenge games and one of these was against Armoy (hardly a game) so come on fellas, the question is how can we not question sambo????

inoall (Antrim) - Posts: 28 - 16/07/2012 15:38:40    1219301

Link

the players that were overlooked for whatever reason or that felt they had to leave the panel due to lack of game time would have made a difference on saturday in my opinion, players from my own club were overlooked and quite frankly would walk onto that team but were not given the chance, i have a lot of respect for sambo but this years minor preparations were not what they should have been.

POL (Antrim) - Posts: 144 - 16/07/2012 20:59:01    1219823

Link

Christy McNaughton was Antrim's top scorer (1-3, 0-1 free that floated over when was trying to lob the ball in at the end) so he was one of the few who played well. Game was lost in defence, conceded 0-11 from frees which was the real downfall. Indiscipline or inability to tackle properly was the killer there, especially in the first half when we were on top and then didn't score in the second half for 23 minutes. Down's midfield and half backs simply ate us alive and Bailie missed nothing. Beaten by a better team, no excuses

srb (Antrim) - Posts: 344 - 17/07/2012 09:45:09    1219985

Link

Fair play to Down on their victory as it was fully deserved over both games and hopefully they go on and do Ulster proud in the all ireland series. however, goal getter i think your covering for sambo and trying to give excuses. im a hurling fanatic and travel to a lot of the games both club and county of various teams to see the talent on display and i am hopeful with the talent coming through that Antrim can soon become a serious hurling side once more but i wouldn't blame the players either. Players like Bradley and Quinn not getting run outs is a disgrace as they are quality players for their club and school, also ryan mc cambridge was far better when he went into half back and i believe he should have lined bailie from the outset, also why are we playing Ciaran johnston at centre forward? hes one of the best young defenders around at the moment and the down men actaully said to me after that they were glad he hurled mostly in the forwards over both games!! i also heard young moran from rossa walked because he was getting a chance which again is surprising as i think he has the talent also. Down got their individual battles right and out smarted Antrim

voldemort3 (Antrim) - Posts: 8 - 17/07/2012 12:31:52    1220180

Link

to be honest with you i have no problem with down winning, i thought Antrim were better it was just indiscipline which cost them it, down were level at half time with antrim and yet they only scored one point from play? how can they be considered the better team? this needs to be addressed by the county board why Antrim did not win and who is to blame and someone needs to take the blame, sometimes the manager gets blamed in the wrong for when a team gets beat and i think that is right in this case. I have asked about and everyone seems to be telling me how Sambo made a fool of himself. Ryan mccambridge played half back in last years cushendall team yet sambo had him Full forward, Ciaran Johnston was centre back in last years Antrim minor team and captain and yet he played centre forward, Michael dudley was half forward in last years team and he sat on the bench the first match they played against down, same with domhnall quinn, he did not even name donal moran in the program the first match, did not even give him a jersey and did not give him a run out all year which made him leave and Gary lennon is a back for his club yet he puts him corner forward? surely these decisions he made led to them loosing and therefore to me he is to blame! typical Cushendall men making excuses for Sambo instead of admitting he was wrong!

inoall (Antrim) - Posts: 28 - 17/07/2012 13:38:53    1220281

Link

have to agree with inoall domnaill moran was given little or no encouragement by the management this year and has been playing well for Rossa at both minor and senior reserve senior teams, i also find it hard to believe micheal bradley didnt start even if he had a poor game the week before, he would be one of the top scorers in div 1 senior hurling this season for st johns and should have got the nod again. time to re think and re build,

POL (Antrim) - Posts: 144 - 17/07/2012 16:01:56    1220556

Link

Im not backing Sambo up at all on this forum. Everyone is quick to shout and roar and blame managers for poor performances and loosing finals but its the 15-20 boys who cross the white line who have to step up and be accountable.

As usual we have so many people lambasting people who step up and take a management job on but when these jobs are offered around at the beginning of each season they dont want to do it themselves.

goalgetter (Antrim) - Posts: 87 - 17/07/2012 17:33:15    1220720

Link

100% disagree Sambo done his best and your obviously from Belfast so you would know the players around there although im from North Antrim and i know 2 or 3 who sat on the bench and are exceptional talents (one of which in my opinion and of the opinion of many others is the best hurler at this age in our county). Although when the teams picked it up to the players on the pitch and like a previous post indicates many of the players either didnt perform or arent good enough at this level. Further to your point young johnston in fact played most of the game at centre half back. Managers are easy to make scapegoats but this time we must just admit to being beat by the better team.

antrim_1991 (Antrim) - Posts: 12 - 17/07/2012 19:19:52    1220845

Link

I know people feel annoyed at being beat by Down. However what ever the reasons I don't think it is appropriate to name players on a public web site. I know most of these players personally and know they did not deliberately play poorly. Most want a playing career out of hurling and I feel they need our support and not our criticism.

galled (Antrim) - Posts: 251 - 17/07/2012 22:00:33    1221076

Link

I agree i think the county board needs to ask the question why this team did not win the ulster title as the talent was there! players in my own club informed me that st mary's cbgs all ireland team played down and 12 of the down team which played agaonst antrim played against st mary's that day and st mary's ran out easy winners, i think it is down to organisation that has lost antrim this title. that down team were the best down team in years but they were just an alright team, frees is what won them the game hence why their free taker won man of the match. Holidays off to portugal and refusing to train with 12 lads is ludicrious.

voldemort3 (Antrim) - Posts: 8 - 18/07/2012 14:50:48    1221569

Link

People need to get into their head Antrim is a county not just Belfast. The main reason in my opinion we lost the game was because we didnt play our best team! Like the previous post i dont like to name players but at least four on the bench should have started but at the end of the day its the managers decision so we just have to accept defeat. The players who crossed that line on saturday were second best in every single position so therefore thats how we were beat. I do feel other players should have played but at the end of the day the manager is not at fault we dont see what goes on at training, behind the scenes etc

antrim_1991 (Antrim) - Posts: 12 - 18/07/2012 21:48:01    1222147

Link

As much as you can defend sambo i will always revert to his ramblings about dinny in the papers and so on, he carries too much gaa political baggage into coaching roles and in my eyes wont succeed at an inter county level regardless of how many teams he jumps in to take such as jingo mc kernans minor and senior teams before making a hash of the job.

Sambo was not the right man to lead these lads but ultimately the players bore the responsibility and wore the saffron jersey regardless of who played and who played where (why were these concerns not aired before the game hind sight is a wonderful thing), the players on the field lost the game.

I wish we would enter our under age hurlers at 14 & 16 to the A grade, bring in and pay if needs be, development coaches for each age from the likes of KK, Tipp or Galway, sure theres a few boys in these counties with good experience looking for work who will travel. In the long run would be well worth the money and only a temporary measure until we learn how these counties work.

North Side Gael (None) - Posts: 1076 - 19/07/2012 08:07:03    1222167

Link