Antrim Forum

Belfast Clubs

(Oldest Posts First)

I know there are some big clubs in Belfast. A lot of them have been successful on the County, Ulster and All Ireland stage most notably St. Gall's. Who are the biggest clubs in Football & the biggest in Hurling? What are the big rivalries? Most of the clubs are dual clubs which is great to see. St. John's and Rossa have both solid hurling and football teams and St. Gall's won the All Ireland a few years back and were beaten in the IHC Final. Rossa & St. John's have also won Hurling & Football Ulster Championships. St. Paul's have a solid tradition as well. St. Bridget's are also handy. Also Gort na Mona, Lamh Dearg, Sarsfield's are also descent clubs. Is there any additional clubs that I forgot to mention?

Thoughts as I'm interested to know about GAA in our second city?

doubletree (Dublin) - Posts: 157 - 21/06/2012 19:00:12    1199485

Link

St John's have won Ulster Senior Titles in both hurling and football...

jdyok (Antrim) - Posts: 8 - 22/06/2012 10:03:49    1199653

Link

There are 12 or 13 teams in belfast which in my opinion is too many. Especially 8 in the West. Thats what it is though and will not change..

Cmills Fan. (Antrim) - Posts: 508 - 22/06/2012 10:54:58    1199695

Link

Agree there are way too many in Belfast. The smaller clubs need to amalgamate as there is no point in having a few teams that sometimes can't field, have a few decent players each where if they combined they could maybe do something.
In response to the original post. St John's are the only Belfast club in Antrim Div 1 hurling at the moment. Rossa have fallen away badly while the demands of football and hurling at St Gall's mean's they are a dangerous Championship team (beat Dunloy last year and within a whisker of beating Cushendall) but tough for a sustained league campaign.
Football St Gall's are still top dogs by a stretch. Lámh Dhearg won the Ulster minor Championship in 2010 and are prob the team to watch. St John's and St Brigid's also very useful while Rossa back in Div 1 this year for first time in a while but struggling badly. Sarsfield's making a bit of a revival but early stages while Gorts seem to have slipped a bit recently after showing great potential a few years back.

srb (Antrim) - Posts: 344 - 22/06/2012 11:15:07    1199713

Link

I agree that some if not all the clubs should amalgamate especially if they are finding it difficult financially to survive ,the likes of Eire og and St Agnes amalgamating is a no brainer,as they play a lot of juvenile games together already.St Teresa's have fantastic facilities but seam to struggle also with numbers and maybe they and Sarsfields should look at amalgamating helping them to field with boys and girl Gaa sports.St Pauls football and Rossa hurling would be a very strong move and I don't think would be very disagreeable with most of their members and would make them a major force in the county .St Galls St Brides would probably be beneficial for both financially but i couldn't see it happening .O Donnells Gortnamona another no brainer . St John's Lamh Dearg would also be a major force especially in football and would possibly be a major force for Antrim and in Ulster but will probably not happen .
To me the main reason it won't happen is that members want to hold on to their name and history and would rather disappear than look forward at developing the teams and the sport to try and bring it to another level, we rather have the mediocre than the sublime as long as we can look back and think of how it use to be. The future of Gaa in Belfast needs a radical re-org and people need to think outside the box as they say, as I look around me and look at how many people I know that where very involved with the Gaa and are not really interested any more it says a lot of how the clubs have grown away from the family's that traditionally were the strengths and the spine of the organisation.

rman (Antrim) - Posts: 102 - 22/06/2012 13:43:30    1199847

Link

Clubs will have to almalgamate or move. Simple as that. In the west of the city, I believe there are 8 senior clubs all with excellent standard of facilities, pitch, changing rooms and social premises. The junior clubs, who do not have facilities in place, will find it very difficult in future years to attract funding streams as duplication of services will cease spread funding. The only way for clubs to maintain their identity and avoid almalgamation is to move location. Clubs had to do it in the past and will have to again. There is no where near the same number of kids being channeled into the GAA as in the past and the playstation burger king generation has caused more woeful attitudes towards sport and the GAA in the west of the city from younger persons and families. I personally don't like to see clubs almalgamate and I don't want to see clubs fold, but the truth is staring us in the face in Belfast, if we don't act soon the standards will continue to diminish and clubs will cease to exist.

Rules_man (Armagh) - Posts: 152 - 22/06/2012 16:00:16    1199990

Link

The GAA in North Belfast is still struggling a bit and sadly I believe losing the battle to soccer. Ardoyne have ploughed a lone furrow for years while Pearses on the lower Antrim Road/New Lodge have reorganised and are doing good work at youth level. St. Enda's in Glengormley would be the strongest GAA club on the North side and they are a very good set up; they have just opened new pitches and have many teams at all levels. North Belfast sides have also seen their best players poached by West Belfast clubs for decades and that has had a very big impact. However there is NO doubt that soccer is THE major sport amongst young Nationalists in North Belfast with the likes of Newington and Malachians etc all doing well at high levels.

Ulsterman (Antrim) - Posts: 9215 - 26/06/2012 20:29:13    1203110

Link

Do Larne & Ballymoney still have clubs operating?

portavogielad (Down) - Posts: 444 - 26/06/2012 20:50:15    1203123

Link

Larne still there but only just some of their members would say, no idea about Ballymoney.

Last Man (Antrim) - Posts: 56 - 27/06/2012 10:46:13    1203266

Link

Ballymoney don't. We were due to play them in Junior Championship about 4 years ago and they never showed up - haven't heard anything since then from them. They're not in any league at any level.

PE1985 (Antrim) - Posts: 59 - 27/06/2012 14:35:08    1203533

Link

Ballymoney had to fold, too difficult to field particularly for games in the city. Support from the Co Board wasn't great either, constant battle to keep the club going partly due to location!

backtobasics19 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 18 - 03/07/2012 10:24:13    1208064

Link

i played a season for them at the start to help a few few friends out that had started it and it was very tough to get off the ground. traveling to the city so much was tough esp when we went one night tp play st galls 3rd team and the pitch wasnt availble anywhere and no one chose to tell us that night was one of the reasons that alot stopped traveling to games.

pity as it was great idea for them to get a team going in there.

Dunloyrealist (Antrim) - Posts: 498 - 03/07/2012 12:55:57    1208282

Link

I don't see why reducing the number of small clubs would improve things. What would St Agnes and Eire Og get out of amalgamating? They are both fantastic little clubs with their own ambitions and their existence does not threaten the bigger clubs so it's not a no-brainer. Antrim clubs have ben AI champs in both football and hurling in the last few years, no other county can say the same. Yes, the performance of the county team is disappointing but that's only part of the picture. Stop being so negative!

belfastman (Antrim) - Posts: 10 - 04/07/2012 16:42:59    1209575

Link

Thats my point fantastic little clubs and fantastic big clubs that cant field at under age.

rman (Antrim) - Posts: 102 - 06/07/2012 13:59:11    1210926

Link