Antrim Forum

Get behind the Antrim Hurlers

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

WHY SHOULD WE SUPPORT OUR HURLERS .
Why should we waste our time and money to watch a team that detests each other . all the arguments on the way home from the limerick match was a disgrace .players arguing with each and the players that actually threw punches at other players should be embarrassed if they werent already by the performance (although the pucnches i seen thrown were still further away than our shooting that day). players atittude need to improve drastically but these players that need to change the most think they can do what they want cuz they won an all ireland this year . get rid of the lot . used to be a case under age where belfast and north antrim didnt mix . nows its a case of the north antrim players hating each other . they all need to grow up

redmick (Antrim) - Posts: 92 - 02/07/2012 16:59:31    1207549

Link

From what I hear it wasn't all one sided.You seem to be blaming one team's players,get the facts right before you start spreading rumours .

bushwhacker (Antrim) - Posts: 261 - 02/07/2012 18:36:51    1207692

Link

Would strongly disagree about the lougheile lads being fully to blame, i have chatted with boys from 2/3 clubs on county panel and it seems the players from another club either with a chip on their shoulder or jealousy are mainly to blame.

However i wont name clubs to start rumours and the bottom line is we need to stop looking at the past and look forward.

In my eyes we now find ourselves in a position for which we can only blame ourselves, while the top teams improved and those coming behind improved we stayed still not on our own but with Laois also.

Now we find ourselves not good enough for Laim McC along with about 5 others who in my eyes should create a new tier, Antrim, Laois, Westmeath, Carlow, London and prob Kerry, the winner of the new tier could play in final round of qualifiers and automatic promotion relegation with bottom liam mc team coming down. At least this way we have competitive games and if we are to get hammered it will only be once unlike laois this year.

Need to be realistic here, im not being negative im trying to find our place in the pecking order.

North Side Gael (None) - Posts: 1076 - 03/07/2012 11:02:22    1208103

Link

The only thing that would unite the North Antrim boys is if a city team were to have the audacity to win a championship . They hate the city folk more than they hate eachother.
Antrim GAA is a disgrace at the moment. Too many self serving , chip on shoulder egos with agendas , involved from top down.
How much are we wasting on a centre of Excellence ? A centre of Excellence ?? It will be empty ?? Just an outdated trophy project . Disgusting.

Finsceal (None) - Posts: 556 - 03/07/2012 12:15:40    1208203

Link

Well done to ye Antrim fans who support yere county team.
What im reading on this is shocking stuff and these players carrying on like this really need to have a look at themselves.

Southsham (Limerick) - Posts: 668 - 03/07/2012 12:26:41    1208218

Link

i dont hate the city teams at all, i love playing them and roll on monday night when we travel to st johns!

also this nonsene about too many lgiel players is just utter tosh, they are the best team in the county and thats the why they have more players in the team.

Dunloyrealist (Antrim) - Posts: 498 - 03/07/2012 12:58:20    1208288

Link

8-26 to 1-15. God help any fan who paid good money to travel to Limerick and be forced to pay to see that debacle. Its a pity they weren't as good at hurling as they were at gubbing on facebook.
ANTRIM WERE A DISGRACE BOTH ON AND OFF THE PITCH.

shenboli (Antrim) - Posts: 82 - 03/07/2012 20:24:01    1208901

Link

I pay good money to watch club hurling in County Antrim and I get great value for money, the standard is fantastic, as good as anywhere in Ireland - A FACT proven on St. Patrick's day past. Over the past month I have watched St. Galls v Glenariffe in div. 2. I have watched Ballycastle v Loughuile in the Feis cup final. I have watched Cushendal v Ballycastle in the U21 final, all fascinating games for various reasons. County Antrim contains individuals on a par with many of the top counties in the country. Liam Watson, Neal McCauley, Shane McNaughton, Karl Stewart, Barney McAuley to name a few. I would not pay to watch Antrim play, I vote with my feet, we all should until the absolute farce, the absolute joke, disgrace, embarrasment is sorted out. Considering the last major game we won was 23 YEARS ago, I am devoid of hope and gave up the ghost a long time ago. Any players who don't want to play as part of a county TEAM should walk away and stop wasting everyone's time including their own!!

altview (Antrim) - Posts: 114 - 04/07/2012 11:59:14    1209209

Link

Doire Abú. We are going to teach you boys a lesson in hurling this weekend!

christy sting (Derry) - Posts: 259 - 04/07/2012 13:41:02    1209341

Link

to christy sting

is that the same lesson that london taught you boys :)

redmick (Antrim) - Posts: 92 - 04/07/2012 16:55:36    1209592

Link

Red mick- yes hopefully

christy sting (Derry) - Posts: 259 - 04/07/2012 17:56:55    1209669

Link

Despite the underperformance of the team I love the game too much to be a fickle supporter and walk away. Come the weekend there is only one cause.

However there are clearly issues that need to be identfied and resolved. From an outside perspective there were major issues around discipline. I would also add that it never bodes well for the season when certain players had to be, literally, begged to commit to the team. This was compounded further when the very same caused problems through the campaign. This led to factions building up on the panel because the perceived special treatment. Coupled with a questionable game plan, we had a recipe for disaster.

We have the potential to mix it with the likes of Wexford and Offaly. And on our day we have an odd big game that can stir the top teams. However if we do not have a full panel that are, vountarily, fully committed to the cause. We are going no where and worse still are setting all the wrong standards for the young lads coming through. Some of the stuff that went on was embarrassing and whoever takes over for next year needs to set down the rules at the start of the year. If you don't agree with them then go back horses or play football.

Glensboy (Antrim) - Posts: 244 - 06/07/2012 21:18:52    1211244

Link