Antrim Forum

Antrim hurling

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Antrim don't give a fiddlers about the under 21 game otherwise they wouldn't a scheduled a full list of Club Football championship games which would automatically rule out several dual players.

shenboli (Antrim) - Posts: 82 - 20/08/2011 10:51:45    1015024

Link

I'll look at the positives, Antrim did well against Dublin considering they only had THREE training sessions altogether this season and Dublin had been preparing all year like a team preparing to win things....

Topa_the_left (Antrim) - Posts: 250 - 22/08/2011 10:15:31    1016024

Link

Our teams need to toughen up,we are not near physical enough.In every other aspect of the game we don't do so bad, but we are far to soft in our tackling etc.Just look at the way Dublin put in up to Tipp,they didn't draw back or shirk tackles.We need to harden up and and play the game as near the knuckle as we can,just short of being downright dirty.In the modern game that's the way it's played,like it or not.

bushwhacker (Antrim) - Posts: 261 - 22/08/2011 12:43:16    1016221

Link

Well topa if you call getting hammered by 26 points a positive then your either getting treatment from the men in white coats or your just trying to defend the indefensible. The point i was trying to make was those twenty or so players who faced Dublin were let down badly by our own county board and management system. The players themselves shouldn't be made scapegoats. They did their best. Now perhaps it time for Antrim to forfeit their right to An Ireland semi final place and let a team who have been prepared properly to take our place.

shenboli (Antrim) - Posts: 82 - 22/08/2011 14:39:31    1016373

Link

shenboli what i said would be common sense to most people, if you dont train you dont win, simple as that. I made no reference to your comment nor was i conducting a witch hunt. Do yourself a favor and dont be so dramatic!

Topa_the_left (Antrim) - Posts: 250 - 22/08/2011 16:11:04    1016514

Link

I feel sorry for our young players, such defeats are not their fault. I am sure they feel gutted and most probably scared for life. We, as a county need to put more effort into developing our young talent.

galled (Antrim) - Posts: 251 - 22/08/2011 19:00:03    1016697

Link

Guys like it or not, this stems from the senior mgmt - in my opinion Antrim Hurling has not really progressed under Dinny; ok we have had a couple of good results under him but nothing better than when Jingo was in charge; i still believe that he doesnt have the full backing from the club teams nor has he adhered himself to many clubs by his actions/inactions (there has been no engagement with any senior club mgrs about players etc - Bradley did this and won alot of respect/backing), i believe that the majority of the squad should be picked from the top teams playing in Div 1 (i also think that there are not enough Antrim teams playing in Div 1 but that is a diff matter), there will always be the exception with some great hurlers in lower divisions - but if our div 1 players also played in the lower divs would they not also be stars; Just my opinion.

Outdone (Antrim) - Posts: 106 - 23/08/2011 09:38:55    1016895

Link

Div 3 and 4 players do not have the experience no matter what potential they have.We have a county team, the majority are lower league players it doesn't make sense.Why will Dinny not play more Div 1 players ? I just don't get it. There are good Div 1 players who have never had a run out with the county ....WHY?.
Let us have a few trial games and we might discover something.

bushwhacker (Antrim) - Posts: 261 - 23/08/2011 10:49:51    1016966

Link

Every player, no matter what division they play in, who thinks he is good enough to play senior inter county should be given a chance. There should be trial games every year so that players can show what they have; Antrim doesn't have the right at the minute to be elitist and just play Division 1 fellas. I also believe that only Antrim people can solve Antrim's real problems and that's no disrespect to Dinny and his management team. While the inter club and rural/city divisions remain we won't make any progress. That defeat by Dublin was just plain embarrassing, shameful in fact.

Ulsterman (Antrim) - Posts: 9229 - 23/08/2011 17:27:37    1017474

Link

we have been doing that. our current full forward line doesnt play in Div 1 and if im brutally honest, they arnt good enough for that standard. i may get flack for saying that but they arnt good enough, end of. the bigger problem isnt that were playing these lads, no disrespect ment to them by they way as they are good players for their clubs, but we havent enough good forwards in div 1 to changle for places.

Dunloyrealist (Antrim) - Posts: 498 - 24/08/2011 09:35:44    1017788

Link

Dunloyrealist - I agree with you regarding the forwards not being good enough, but how do we know that the div 1 forwards aren't good enough if they are not even tried

Outdone (Antrim) - Posts: 106 - 24/08/2011 11:53:38    1017902

Link

This may seem like stating the obvious, but here goes anyhow. Dinny is a great hurling man with massive knowledge & experience. Period. Heres the thing though. Like it or not he is here to manage the current senior county team. No matter what way you dress it up at the end of the day year in, year out his only concern is to get the best possible team on the field for the championship. So every year we amble through the league & to many observers this is treated as more of an unwanted distraction rather than neccessity for the education & training of the players. Come c'ship exit we are proffered the notion every year that we are progressing & improving all the time & the evidence of this is offered as "glorious in defeat". Yes we beat dublin last year. Then we got thumped by Waterford. Roll on 12 months we get thumped by Limerick. Where is the improvement in losing heavily to a division two side??? We stop our best players from training & playing with their clubs regulary. Proof of this was evident in this years feis final between Dunloy & ruairi og. Players were told that under no circumstances were they to play for their clubs. the result of which was what can only be described as o total non match. The most baffling part of this was that most of the players who would play against Limerick were in fact rested the day before the feis for the Ulster final v Armagh.t his meant the spine of your c'ship side had no competitive hurling two weeks before the Limerick game. Bottom line. If the clubs are not good enough, the county never can be!!

auldstock (Antrim) - Posts: 10 - 24/08/2011 12:47:45    1017977

Link

.....Dinny is a great hurling man with massive knowledge & experience. Period. Heres the thing though. Like it or not he is here to manage the current senior county team....

A great hurling man with massive knowledge & experience does not always make a great manager. I can see no improvement in Antrim hurling since McKernan left, actually in his time we had made significant inroads and then the county believed his face idn't fit and he was replaced .... we all know what has happened since - glorious in defeat etc.
Furthermore a so called great hurling man with this massive knowledge etc surely he would attend some matches to view potential players, use everything at his disposal (e.g. talk to team mgrs about potential players etc), field the best team at every opportunity adopt practices that other counties have ie. not cancel league matches all the time etc..
Come on guys really it has been downhill (ok there has been some ups) since McKernan left - but he wasn't high profile enough.

Your thoughts??

Outdone (Antrim) - Posts: 106 - 24/08/2011 13:18:16    1018018

Link

"outdone" im in total agreement with you.What im saying though is that no matter if brian cody managed Antrim ,ultimately he will work to his own brief & simply put that is to ensure that the county team performs. My thought is that you need to get your club teams up to a standard & unfortunately at the minute ours are not.A big part of the reason for this is lies squarely with the insistance that the players be at the countys beck & call at all times. Surely its no coincidence that when the club leagues were very strong & competitive the knock on effect was that the county team were regulary seriously contesting all ireland semis (yes we got to the last four automaticalyy by winning Ulster) & were unlucky not to contest at least two other deciders. if you take 5 or 6 players from a club to make up a training squad for the county what happens to the rest of that clubs senior players? well the club training becomes fractured at best with the best of your players training with a make up of reserves & in some cases third team players.As a result all the attributes you need to perform ie skill level, discipline, fitness all drop. Would we be any further back than we are now if for instance we let the county players play & train with their clubs & forget this ten day rule .i feel than this is how you raise the quality of club player you produce & so then the county manager has better options available to him.Lets get back to picking players from 5 or 6 very good clubs instead of creating a club outside of the clubs namely the county team!!! when the clubs flourish only then will the county!!

auldstock (Antrim) - Posts: 10 - 24/08/2011 15:52:10    1018203

Link