Antrim Forum

Development squads

(Oldest Posts First)

Having watched the U 17 footballers yesterday getting destroyed by Tyrone, I have been asking myself are the development squads worthwhile?,
initially I would have said yes, and to a degree I still would, but I can't understand why there are no players from the so called 'big city teams' on this panel???
Surely it should be an honour to represent your county no matter what the age level, not just from minor onwards, or am I missing the point?
I have an interest in this as my son has represented the county from U 15 level right through, of which I am very proud, but I can't help feeling that damaging defeats like the one I witnessed on Saturday, and last year also, can't really aid his development??
Just to add think the coaches do a great job with what they have to work with, just think that others, i.e. players should step up to the plate.

spiritof95 (Antrim) - Posts: 7 - 01/05/2011 19:20:02    921624

Link

they are worth while just run incorrectly by the wrong people , favouritism plays a part in the selction of players and at the moment it does not aid the county at minor , u21 or senior level re-organisation needs to be put in place

saffman8 (Antrim) - Posts: 38 - 03/05/2011 17:09:07    922847

Link

I was at the match also, it really knocked the confidence out of the boys but make no mistake about it tyrone are a top team and had 42 players. I agree with you when you are talking about the city teams i really think that if this team wants to progress we need to get the st.johns elite but for them hurling comes first! but i think development squads have to be about we are developing players in order to produce our best teams at minor,under 21 and senior,players need that experience of playing at that standard in order to become better and "develop"

saffron94 (Antrim) - Posts: 5 - 03/05/2011 17:29:32    922868

Link