Antrim Forum

Casement . . . a step back for Ulster GAA?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I was reading the posts on the Antrim Web site when I read a response from the person answering the mail sent in ,this went on to be a person asking where he could park at the game on Sunday,his response was that the person should park in streets around Casement .Knowing what its like to live near a stadium and the parking problems outside your own house I sent in a response that the person should be informed where the nearest carpark may be .Of course the response was not given the slighest courtesy of an acknowledgement as the moderators of the county web site seem to have little or no manners ,more than this i am now wondering what the people of that area are going to let themselves in for if the redevelopment of Casement goes ahead,maybe the money would be better spent in our hospitals .

mambo (Antrim) - Posts: 111 - 02/02/2011 15:33:13    858770

Link

I would imagine Mambo, that planning permission for the redevelopment is contingent on supplying adaquate car parking space in the vicinity of Casement Park. As regards using the money for hospitals instead it is not the GAA's responsibility for funding hospitals.

lilywhite1 (Kildare) - Posts: 2966 - 03/02/2011 18:48:27    859739

Link

Mambo, I have actually stopped going on the antrim website due to the rude and ignorant nature of the administrator/administrators on it. They give no time to anyone who has an opinion different to their own

frankbhoy77 (Antrim) - Posts: 1300 - 03/02/2011 21:17:50    859890

Link

lilywhite ,I was just making a point trying to get some people to recognise that manners and respect dont cost anything ,was it not just as easy to tell the person looking for somewhere to park at Casement that the leisure center is usually open for parking especially if you arrive early or that there is ample space in the industrial estate of kennedy way ,but like most things organised by the GAA in Antrim people and supporters are only an irratation that they should be seen and not heard.As for the money going into Casement that is not the Gaa's money but tax payers alot of whom think that the money could be better spent .Personally I'm looking forward to the new development but maybe somebody should appoint a public relations officer to over see the problems that are going to arise ,as I know that the last act that came from the county was to remove free tickets to the rescidents in Owenvarragh and Moorland that are tortured by cars, busses and crowds trying to get over there garden walls.As for the county moderators Frank I think the first line sums them up !!!!!

mambo (Antrim) - Posts: 111 - 04/02/2011 08:23:34    859953

Link

Mambo, Apologies I didn't realise that some of the funding for the project is taxpayers money. I agree entirely re your point regarding moderators. Anyway looking forward to a good game on Sunday. Best wishes.

lilywhite1 (Kildare) - Posts: 2966 - 04/02/2011 11:39:41    860124

Link

Mambo, you are right in alot of your post, parking signage is poor and there's not even a map of how to get to the grounds on the Antrim website(with parking location would be good), but then again Antrim league matches have gone from a 100 supporters to thousands in 2 years. It's new to Antrim but they should learn from the experiences of re-developing Croke park, same issues and problems.

Also the Tax payer is not funding all the development, Antrim GAA, Ulster and everyone who walks through the turnstiles will be funding millions towards this project; but I take your comment of "manners and respect ", sums it up; and they dont cost a penny.

Long may we see you "lilywhite" coming up to watch what will hopefully be a good match.

Saffron_in_Dub (Antrim) - Posts: 85 - 04/02/2011 12:41:01    860182

Link

Agree 100% about those who moderate on the official county website.

2taltohill.2000 (Antrim) - Posts: 104 - 04/02/2011 13:30:21    860229

Link

agree also ! dont even go near the guestbook now, just to check out the fixtures. wish a lot more good gaels would boycott it.

bob.foley (Antrim) - Posts: 47 - 04/02/2011 15:06:58    860337

Link

The problem for you guys is that you don't like your opinions challenged. It's just so easy to sound off about something believing in your own wee world of bliss that you're right. The best example is this complaint about parking around Casement annoying the neighbours. The fact is that the streets immediately around the stadium are cordoned off for big games. Parking around Casement has been going on for years. Using this as an excuse to turn down £60 million of funding proposed for redeveloping Casement is a complete nonsense. The positives for a redeveloped Casement far outweigh any potential negatives. As for the "Clones" supporter's view that the development should occur there. Does he not know where the funding is coming from for this? It isn't the taxpayers in the 26 counties, you know. The facts about what will and will not be happening around any redevelopment don't exist. No plans have been submiitted, there is probably going to have to be a long period of consultation before anything is agreed and all this speculation about this and that, is just fantasy.

anecdote (Antrim) - Posts: 1 - 05/02/2011 19:43:21    861139

Link

I take it anecdote did'nt read the post about parking as it was simply a post pointing out the fact that a bit of respect for the rescidents is all that was asked for ,this has been sorely missed by all living around and going to casement may it be the county chairman are the stewards who all seem to live in a we world of their own,ps hope the new chairman does a better job as he lives in the vicinity of casement and hope he will be able to respond with more sympathy and respect for their problems.

mambo (Antrim) - Posts: 111 - 07/02/2011 12:46:59    862111

Link

Anecdote, the fact that you have came on here with a brand new account seems to suggest that you are the one that cannot accept other people's opinions. ;)

frankbhoy77 (Antrim) - Posts: 1300 - 08/02/2011 16:56:08    863320

Link

Just came on this thread while checking on last nights u.21 games comments I wish Casement all the best and hope it becomes the Provinces main stadium would be great for Ulster GAA and Belfast would be a whole new chapter in the history of our games.

Pointer (Donegal) - Posts: 1200 - 17/03/2011 19:54:23    890911

Link

I am all for a casement redevelopment. The only people that don't want it are Clones residents and Wind up merchants.

Glenswilly77 (Donegal) - Posts: 201 - 01/04/2011 14:07:28    900779

Link

agreed.

saffman8 (Antrim) - Posts: 38 - 12/04/2011 10:57:52    909522

Link