National Forum

GAAGO Schedule

(Oldest Posts First)

I'm hoping someone can help. Living in the US I had a keen interest in the newly created streaming service been offered by RTE/GAA. But before I shell out nearly $200 for the season pass I want to make sure I'm going to get the games I want to see (namely Galway's league and championship).

The GAAGO website looks like it was put together by some transition year students, and as far as I can see they only show the schedule for the next few weeks. Does anyone know where their full schedule might be listed so I can have a better clue what games will be shown?

Thanks!

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 3097 - 17/02/2015 17:41:29    1694487

Link

Yeah, they only appear to show the schedule through mid-March on the GAAGO site, the site is pretty sparse in general.

But, as far as I can tell, every game that's broadcast by TG4, RTE, Setanta, and Sky, will be available via GAAGO. So if you can get access to any of those channels upcoming GAA schedule's, that should give you a fair idea of what to expect from GAAGO.

I have the season pass myself, seemed worth it given the league games are being show this year as well. I purchased each game individually from the service last year, and it added up in the end.

Marlon_JD (Tipperary) - Posts: 1823 - 17/02/2015 20:07:22    1694530

Link

I purchased individual games last year and it was fine. Purchased the yearly package this time. The transmission of the Lim/Wat game Sat. was terrible. Kept buffering, getting behind and jumping to catch up. It looked like the camera work was with a mini video camera with someone running up and down the field. GAAGO keep trying to blame my internet connection but it has been checked out by my provider and works good streaming every thing else. I have seen these issue before with Setanta and U-Stream when trying to stream live, not enough G to service all. It is not cheap and they need to get it right.

Canuck (Waterford) - Posts: 2673 - 18/02/2015 17:35:57    1694811

Link

Canuck
County: Waterford

The camera work is on Setanta, but yeah, the streaming quality was poor for last weeks games. The TG4 stream (Tipp/Dublin) appeared to be a bit better than the Setanta streams (Cork/Kilkenny, Limerick/Waterford), but still not the best. Whereabouts were you watching from? I'd imagine there could be some latency issues for anyone streaming in the US, if the files are just being served from a European cdn. Nevertheless, the quality was much worse than what we saw for championship games last year, but we're still paying the same price. I hope it gets better in the coming weeks. Still better than nothing I guess.

Marlon_JD (Tipperary) - Posts: 1823 - 19/02/2015 19:48:17    1695122

Link

Streaming quality has been poor for the matches this weekend. Trying to watch Tipp v Galway at the moment, very jumpy, almost unwatchable (and I have a decent internet package). Cork v Clare last night was poor as well, especially from the 50th minute on, the player kept jumping back and forth, repeating the same segments. They need to do better than this. If its a case that they're going to have poorer quality streams for the league, make the league games free.

Marlon_JD (Tipperary) - Posts: 1823 - 22/02/2015 16:52:51    1695726

Link

i presume your happy about the boxing news marlon?..overall how would you rate the service so far?..would wanna be good considering the cost and the uproar over a certain deal with a certain tv company

fabio8 (USA) - Posts: 2182 - 22/02/2015 17:09:51    1695735

Link

Marion, the coverage was terrible again this weekend. I have been in contact with GAAGO all last week and they continue to blame my internet provider or my set up. There seems to be three different people dealing with it and keep coming back asking me to try the same solutions over and over despite having done so.
In the end last week they said that the stream has to go through so many computers before it gets to mine that this is the problem, or else too much traffic. However the problem I have with this is during their on going promotions.

I am in Canada and have no issues streaming anything else on my MAC computer using googol chrome. My internet provider has electronically and physically check my connection and it is more than adequate for streaming. I check internet speed and ping during the games today and it was good.

The camera work is also poor.

Canuck (Waterford) - Posts: 2673 - 22/02/2015 17:59:42    1695751

Link

Coverage was fine today on Premier Sports in the UK. I Think you would be better off just buying individual matches if you are only interested in Galway.

londonblue (Cavan) - Posts: 33 - 22/02/2015 21:06:15    1695817

Link

fabio8
County: USA

Yeah, I was suprised when they announced the fight for May 2nd, I really didn't expect it. Good news, but I won't believe its going ahead until I see the 2 of them in the ring!

As for the GAAGO service overall, its been a mixed bag. When it works well, its fantastic for people in the US. And the quality did improve steadily during the championship last year. When it comes to hurling, a live stream will rarely be as good as a broadcast, but it worked well enough for most of the championship last year. But the quality has been much worse for the games this year, which is a real shame. Most of the Tipp v Galway game today was unwatchable. From the network traffic I captured, they appear to be using a different delivery system than last year, so the stream isn't as good. If they're just doing this for the league, fair enough. But they should adjust their price accordingly.

So overall, I'd give it a B- mark. But that'll reduce if the poor quality of the past few weekends games persist. But otherwise, its still a great service for us in the US.

Marlon_JD (Tipperary) - Posts: 1823 - 22/02/2015 21:29:49    1695826

Link

For anyone with an android device you should put the "mobdro" app on it. you won't get it on the play store but you can get it on their website. They provide you with streaming of different channels and I have watched games on it before with no problems. From talking to people in Oz there does seem to be plenty of issues with GAAGO which aren't being resolved, most of all the streaming issues!!

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1671 - 23/02/2015 11:09:33    1695900

Link

GAAGO are returning my subscription stating the reason that none of the solutions suggested worked. This is not what I want but having the service returned to the level it was last year. As a GAA supporter I see this as very disappointing and a defeatist attitude . Not looking for total perfection but something that is watchable. I am sure they know exactly what is the reason for the deterioration in streaming. As they continue to promote this service they need to give the facts to their customers. The GAA itself needs to take responsibility for what they put their name to.

Canuck (Waterford) - Posts: 2673 - 23/02/2015 17:39:43    1696064

Link