National Forum

Another referee making up the rules

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

The farcical situation where the referee threw in the ball with only one team on the pitch is another example of one of those mythical 'rules' which are actually totally wrong. All the referee had to do was register in his report that one team were present on the pitch and the others were not, then head home with himself. This silly myth that the ball has to be thrown in and one team to score is total nonsense

890202 (Wexford) - Posts: 1278 - 15/05/2017 23:20:29    1986982

Link

Just a bit of drama for the supporters who turned up and maybe threw a few bob at the gate. Rule or not sure what harm did it do. He should also have insisted on a score just to add a bit of pressure, send the crowd home happy.

Offside_Rule (Antrim) - Posts: 4058 - 15/05/2017 23:45:41    1986992

Link

Just a shame that they didn't kick it wide :)

Torcaill (Australia) - Posts: 204 - 16/05/2017 10:10:50    1987021

Link

That's bad enough but I have seen where at the end of the club League where teams will end up mid table decide not to play a match and give the points to the opposition who by virtue of that 'victory' are guaranteed avoiding relegation, where teams don't turn up for a match or give the points to the other team should be fined heavily, rural clubs who struggle to field teams week in week out have a valid point but if your club can field 2 or 3 teams then they have plenty of players to fulfil a fixture

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1389 - 16/05/2017 17:04:30    1987203

Link

Replying To riverboys:  "That's bad enough but I have seen where at the end of the club League where teams will end up mid table decide not to play a match and give the points to the opposition who by virtue of that 'victory' are guaranteed avoiding relegation, where teams don't turn up for a match or give the points to the other team should be fined heavily, rural clubs who struggle to field teams week in week out have a valid point but if your club can field 2 or 3 teams then they have plenty of players to fulfil a fixture"
Agree with you, it's a serious blight on the game. Happens in every county and more needs done to to stop it. Maybe even ban a team from playing at home for a game along with a heavy fine.

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 2088 - 16/05/2017 20:17:31    1987274

Link

Word is that the team that did'nt field had objected to the appointed referee doing any of their games because of previous 'experiances'. Should clubs be allowed to 'avoid' certain referees that are well up to standard but are unpopular because they apply the rules to the letter of the law. A Can of worms.

kikfada (Louth) - Posts: 2091 - 22/05/2017 08:30:45    1989125

Link

On a seperate note the first 3 televised goals on the Live games were all illegal. Mayos first goal was a run ball with 7 steps taken, maybe the Referee could have awarded a free in before he had taken these extra steps but because he did'nt he is then obliged to award a free out instead. The 2nd Mayo goal was a blatant square ball as the goalscorer was inside the small square well before the final pass which was delevered from outside the small square with 5 officials watching on. The first Cork goal should also not happened as the corner forward took 8 steps in the play leading up to the goal. Not good enough lads and for all the so called experts on the TV analysis never mentioned any of these infringements.

kikfada (Louth) - Posts: 2091 - 22/05/2017 09:27:39    1989151

Link

At a county football final here a few years ago, a top-ranked referee, who happens to be from Longford & is on our CCCC, prevented one team's forwards from standing in a bunch around the 20 metre line (trying to confuse the opposition defenders) before the throw-in. Nowhere in the rules does it say you have to stand in an allotted position for the throw-in/start of a match!!!

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 22/05/2017 10:38:16    1989202

Link

Replying To keeper7:  "At a county football final here a few years ago, a top-ranked referee, who happens to be from Longford & is on our CCCC, prevented one team's forwards from standing in a bunch around the 20 metre line (trying to confuse the opposition defenders) before the throw-in. Nowhere in the rules does it say you have to stand in an allotted position for the throw-in/start of a match!!!"
That Referee was correct...... it is a rule all players must be in their positions before the throw in.

kikfada (Louth) - Posts: 2091 - 22/05/2017 10:47:34    1989208

Link

Yeah the application of the rules imhas been poor, and the analysts/commentators don't cover themselves in glory.

Dessie Dolan tried to justify the pull down on seamie oshea not warranting a black card because he wasn't sure if oshea would have been clean thru on goal. That has nothing to do with the black card whatsoever!

It should've been a free in to DOC as he was awarded advantage but took 13 steps.

It was a stone wall penalty when parsons had his standing leg taken from under him.

COC was in the small square before the pass was made. No goal.

That's a lot of big calls to be getting wrong! I'm all for protecting officials, but these were all easy to spot, clear cut decisions.

cavanman47 (Cavan) - Posts: 5012 - 22/05/2017 10:51:27    1989211

Link

amazed at the lads on the sunday game last night saying coc goal was ok..sure it was quite plain he was inside the square wen the pass was made,,..i thought the "highlight" bad ref decision yesterday was the free given against mark ellis in the first half of the hurling

kavvie (Clare) - Posts: 505 - 22/05/2017 11:19:55    1989238

Link

Was at the game yesterday and have to say on first sight I thought D O'Connor had taken too many steps and Sligo should have been awarded a free out but saw the clip again last night on TV and O'Connor appeared to be fouled and ref gave an advantage yet the rules say you can only take 3-5 steps so advantage or not ref should have blown up for a free in to Mayo, no goal. Also I thought the ref was too quick on the whistle awarding free for soft incidents to both sides he should have allowed the game to flow, if that was an Ulster match there wouldn't be half the frees awarded, to see that awful game and then to sit back and watch the excellent hurling match in Munster and see the heads nearly taken off some players show that football is gone too soft

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1389 - 22/05/2017 11:53:08    1989263

Link

The Fermanagh goalkeeper should have went for a Black Card on saturday night for a deliberate foot trip. Very simple and easy desision and he did'nt make it.

kikfada (Louth) - Posts: 2091 - 22/05/2017 12:13:11    1989276

Link

I'm going to say it, guys are here blaring on about docs goal being too many steps. Come on lads look at that match yesterday if you call that up for too many step then you have to call up every other time too every Gaelic football match is littered with player taking more than 4 steps and very rarely is it pulled. It's symptomatic of the problems in officiating in games half the stuff isn't call on to let the game 'flow'. It's a real bugbear for me in general it's the law and it should be enforced. When it comes to goals or point being scored when too many steps are taken I'd say the majority of times it isn't called up.

Spoddgy (Mayo) - Posts: 660 - 22/05/2017 12:16:29    1989278

Link

What is the rule on square balls now? I still operate on the old rules of not being the square before the ball is kicked which would have meant coca goal was a square ball but didn't they change it? Another rule that has a habit of not getting called on a lot of the time.

Spoddgy (Mayo) - Posts: 660 - 22/05/2017 12:19:09    1989282

Link

Replying To kikfada:  "That Referee was correct...... it is a rule all players must be in their positions before the throw in."
Care to quote that rule please? Sounds ridiculous & totally unenforceable!

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 22/05/2017 12:25:06    1989286

Link

Replying To kikfada:  "The Fermanagh goalkeeper should have went for a Black Card on saturday night for a deliberate foot trip. Very simple and easy desision and he did'nt make it."
The strangest thing about that incident was that the ref actually signalled a dive!

And still allowed play to continue!

cavanman47 (Cavan) - Posts: 5012 - 22/05/2017 12:27:03    1989291

Link

Replying To kikfada:  "On a seperate note the first 3 televised goals on the Live games were all illegal. Mayos first goal was a run ball with 7 steps taken, maybe the Referee could have awarded a free in before he had taken these extra steps but because he did'nt he is then obliged to award a free out instead. The 2nd Mayo goal was a blatant square ball as the goalscorer was inside the small square well before the final pass which was delevered from outside the small square with 5 officials watching on. The first Cork goal should also not happened as the corner forward took 8 steps in the play leading up to the goal. Not good enough lads and for all the so called experts on the TV analysis never mentioned any of these infringements."
A lot of referees/umpires/fans/pundits seemed to have abandoned the square ball rule in open play.

The rule was amended not scrapped.

It'll only get a bit of traction if it happens in a close game later on in the summer.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13707 - 22/05/2017 12:27:45    1989294

Link

Replying To Spoddgy:  "I'm going to say it, guys are here blaring on about docs goal being too many steps. Come on lads look at that match yesterday if you call that up for too many step then you have to call up every other time too every Gaelic football match is littered with player taking more than 4 steps and very rarely is it pulled. It's symptomatic of the problems in officiating in games half the stuff isn't call on to let the game 'flow'. It's a real bugbear for me in general it's the law and it should be enforced. When it comes to goals or point being scored when too many steps are taken I'd say the majority of times it isn't called up."
Just because others aren't called for too many steps doesn't make it ok for doc to take too many steps. That's like saying why did the guard pull me over for speeding when everyone else speeds. Too many steps is a blight on the game. It looks terrible but obviously the authorities have decided they don't care anymore. 5 steps is overcarrying, but these days people regularly take 8+ steps. The only time referees penalise you now is when you are bottled up, surrounded on all sides by players, unable to move or pass the ball, and ironically taking no steps whatsoever.

HurlingSnob (Dublin) - Posts: 220 - 22/05/2017 12:40:49    1989306

Link

Replying To Spoddgy:  "What is the rule on square balls now? I still operate on the old rules of not being the square before the ball is kicked which would have meant coca goal was a square ball but didn't they change it? Another rule that has a habit of not getting called on a lot of the time."
The rule from a free kick or sideline ball is exactly the same as the old rule i.e. you cannot enter the square before the ball.

In open play you can enter the square before the ball but only after the pass has been played.

Cillian O'Connor looked to be in the square before the pass was played therefore it should have been a free out.

To be fair though there was no analysis of the goal at all so it's hard to be 100% sure that was the case. Since the rule was amended this has been happening though as I think a lot of people think the rule was scrapped rather than amended. It didn't make a difference yesterday but I think the only way it'll get highlighted is if it happens in a close game later in the summer.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13707 - 22/05/2017 12:58:45    1989315

Link