National Forum

Tyrone for Sam 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To jacktheDub:  "Wow that's some statement...a better version of this Dublin Team!!!!!! Don't have the forwards, can't kick there frees and too defensive..overly reliant on 2 or 3 players. I don't get the optimism about this Tyrone team can't see them winning ulster let alone an all kreland"
They are IMO on a par with Dublin and a good bit ahead of Kerry and Donegal now.
They have proven match winners and have 7/8 players who would get onto most teams in the country including Dublin who seemed to tire towards the end of last year.

ulster83 (Tyrone) - Posts: 114 - 21/01/2017 10:34:56    1947510

Link

A better version of Dublin, on par with Dublin..haha there is some funny ppl on this thread..Dublin are up there on there own, theres is no one on par with them...Tyrone are still a bit behind Kerry and Mayo until they get more consistent i think..Tyrone have a few good footballers but they rest are athletes, now every team needs athletes but i think Tyrone have to many but this is only shown when they play Dublin, Mayo Kerry..

tommy132 (Mayo) - Posts: 601 - 21/01/2017 13:10:03    1947527

Link

I doubt if any one in Tyrone believes they will win anything this year. We have had the same problems for a number of years (too defensive, no free kicker, poor goal scoring ratio) and there is no sign that they will be resolved.

Dermoot (Tyrone) - Posts: 46 - 21/01/2017 13:22:41    1947530

Link

Replying To Dermoot:  "I doubt if any one in Tyrone believes they will win anything this year. We have had the same problems for a number of years (too defensive, no free kicker, poor goal scoring ratio) and there is no sign that they will be resolved."
Agree Dermoot- freetaking is a massive issue for past few years. Also no marque forward or a big target man to change tactics during match. I also genuinely believe Tyrone have players who can fill those positions but for some reason Mickey doesn't seem to give it a try. Maybe Tyrone people have a different opinion but surely doing the same things over and over and getting the same result is a sure fire way of not not winning Sam. Look at Dubs, Kerry, Mayo - freetakers and great forwards in a few positions.

IrishGael3 (USA) - Posts: 1092 - 21/01/2017 14:36:27    1947539

Link

Replying To IrishGael3:  "Agree Dermoot- freetaking is a massive issue for past few years. Also no marque forward or a big target man to change tactics during match. I also genuinely believe Tyrone have players who can fill those positions but for some reason Mickey doesn't seem to give it a try. Maybe Tyrone people have a different opinion but surely doing the same things over and over and getting the same result is a sure fire way of not not winning Sam. Look at Dubs, Kerry, Mayo - freetakers and great forwards in a few positions."
Everybody seems to see Tyrones weaknesses except the people in charge.
When Tyrone won their All Ireland s they had several players capable of racking up big scores eg Canavan, O Neill and Mulligan.
Each of these was also an expert freetaker.
Now they havent one player of this calibre..... so how can they win an All Ireland? Not likely !!!!!

BIG SACKS (Tyrone) - Posts: 1681 - 21/01/2017 16:39:26    1947568

Link

Replying To ulster83:  "They are IMO on a par with Dublin and a good bit ahead of Kerry and Donegal now.
They have proven match winners and have 7/8 players who would get onto most teams in the country including Dublin who seemed to tire towards the end of last year."
What have Tyrone done in the last year let alone 4 years for you to say they are on par...I would be interested in hearing your reasons

jacktheDub (Dublin) - Posts: 944 - 21/01/2017 16:56:47    1947574

Link

Replying To riverboys:  "It's Kerry v Tyrone for the 2017 All Ireland Final, Mayo showed how to stop Dublin, only for defence mistakes giving away soft scorable frees (and a few dodgy ref decisions) Mayo should have beaten Dublin twice in 2016, I expect Tyrone to have plenty in the tank and tactics to beat Dublin in the semi final. Will they win Sam I don't know I have been saying that 3 years is too long for Kerry without Sam"
don't know what game you were watching lad, games are not won on ifs. best team won end of time to get over it !!

superbluedub (Dublin) - Posts: 2837 - 21/01/2017 17:32:29    1947583

Link

Replying To Dermoot:  "I doubt if any one in Tyrone believes they will win anything this year. We have had the same problems for a number of years (too defensive, no free kicker, poor goal scoring ratio) and there is no sign that they will be resolved."
Agree Dermoot- freetaking is a massive issue for past few years. Also no marque forward or a big target man to change tactics during match. I also genuinely believe Tyrone have players who can fill those positions but for some reason Mickey doesn't seem to give it a try. Maybe Tyrone people have a different opinion but surely doing the same things over and over and getting the same result is a sure fire way of not not winning Sam. Look at Dubs, Kerry, Mayo - freetakers and great forwards in a few positions.

IrishGael3 (USA) - Posts: 1092 - 21/01/2017 19:46:08    1947597

Link

Replying To IrishGael3:  "Agree Dermoot- freetaking is a massive issue for past few years. Also no marque forward or a big target man to change tactics during match. I also genuinely believe Tyrone have players who can fill those positions but for some reason Mickey doesn't seem to give it a try. Maybe Tyrone people have a different opinion but surely doing the same things over and over and getting the same result is a sure fire way of not not winning Sam. Look at Dubs, Kerry, Mayo - freetakers and great forwards in a few positions."
Name them.

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 2088 - 21/01/2017 20:26:56    1947607

Link

Replying To ulster83:  "They are IMO on a par with Dublin and a good bit ahead of Kerry and Donegal now.
They have proven match winners and have 7/8 players who would get onto most teams in the country including Dublin who seemed to tire towards the end of last year."
Lads. This guy came on here a week ago and making outrageous statements. He is on the wind up.

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 2088 - 21/01/2017 20:28:08    1947608

Link

Replying To BIG SACKS:  "Everybody seems to see Tyrones weaknesses except the people in charge.
When Tyrone won their All Ireland s they had several players capable of racking up big scores eg Canavan, O Neill and Mulligan.
Each of these was also an expert freetaker.
Now they havent one player of this calibre..... so how can they win an All Ireland? Not likely !!!!!"
why are you blaming the "people in charge" if you say Tyrone don't have a canavan,mulligan,o'neill how is it that the managers fault? i don't get your point

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 2088 - 21/01/2017 20:33:09    1947609

Link

McAliskey takes frees for Clonoe. Harte for errigal. O'Neill for Omagh. Sean C for Moy. All successfully. However when the pressure is on in Tyrone games they fail. Not sure what else the management can do. Down to the players imo. I mean Micky can't hit the frees for them. He has tried all the players above and Morgan.

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 2088 - 21/01/2017 20:38:56    1947610

Link

Replying To The_Fridge:  "McAliskey takes frees for Clonoe. Harte for errigal. O'Neill for Omagh. Sean C for Moy. All successfully. However when the pressure is on in Tyrone games they fail. Not sure what else the management can do. Down to the players imo. I mean Micky can't hit the frees for them. He has tried all the players above and Morgan."
And maybe there lies the problem, 'he has tried them all', and quite often in the same match. I suggest management select 2 sure starters and have them, and only them, taking the frees, right from the mckenna cup through to seasons end.

Dermoot (Tyrone) - Posts: 46 - 21/01/2017 21:03:01    1947624

Link

Tyrone will not win Sam in the foreseeable future IMO. They have a handful of top class players and then mostly average ones making up the rest of the team. They lack firepower and don't have a top forward. That is not the makeup of an All Ireland winning team.

That said, 201 7 is wide open. Dublin looked seriously vulnerable in 2016 and both Kerry and Mayo have their own issues as we know. Stranger things have happened, but I wouldn't back Tyrone at this stage. The other three all look better equipped for me.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 2105 - 21/01/2017 21:12:56    1947627

Link

Replying To Iamlegion666:  "Mayo beat themselves in the first match, remember two own goals?

They will obviously have new plans if they get that far again."
Seems every county in the country was unlucky against Dublin last year, I'm a bit undecided on which county deserves "we got close to beating Dublin" trophy though.

The hallmark of this team, is that they come up against every system that throws adversity at them, Kerry tried to innovate as did Mayo, both changed their systems, both changed their natural footballing philosphey to evolve to try and beat Dublin. The Dublin players out thought both. One of the most satisfying things about the all Ireland last year is that Kerry and Mayo both tried something new, invovitive in term of approach and system that got the, closer and was surprising, yet the team were able to adjust and out think it.

As for Mayo I'm not sure, where they can go now, they have been going full tilt at Dublin for a while now, in a shoot out and open football they have been beaten, with defensive containment football they have been beaten, I don't think they have the depth of quality or quality of squad to get over the line, unless a big gun like Kerry or Dublin was taken out surprisingly and they got a rubber final, which can happen. Kerry have a very talented potentially great generation as well as their already great players coming through and if both align come August the semi final is not straight forward. The conveyor belt of talent isn't stopping in Dublin anytime soon and I think that will be evident again next year. I know Mayo won the U21 All Ireland last year, but after seeing that team at close quaters, they only just got over the line over a less then than vintage Dublin U 21 team. I didn't see the Cliffard or O Callaghan or a Neil Flynm the superstar forward to take them to the next level that they need. There was D. O' Connor but that trap is sprung to be very one of the half backs was impressive.

To be fair that's just my opinion the Mayo lads I'm sure will know more.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 4445 - 21/01/2017 21:28:06    1947631

Link

Replying To The_Fridge:  "why are you blaming the "people in charge" if you say Tyrone don't have a canavan,mulligan,o'neill how is it that the managers fault? i don't get your point"
Its down to those in charge to sort out the freetaking.....
its an art that improves with practice... and obviously there isn't enough time spent practicing it.
So its down to management to sort out freetakers and insist on them practicing and practicing until they get to an acceptable level and then maintaining it.
I mentioned three players on the team of a few years ago. They didn't become good freetakers by magic.... it was hard work

BIG SACKS (Tyrone) - Posts: 1681 - 21/01/2017 21:32:22    1947632

Link

Replying To BIG SACKS:  "Its down to those in charge to sort out the freetaking.....
its an art that improves with practice... and obviously there isn't enough time spent practicing it.
So its down to management to sort out freetakers and insist on them practicing and practicing until they get to an acceptable level and then maintaining it.
I mentioned three players on the team of a few years ago. They didn't become good freetakers by magic.... it was hard work"
I agree, it's an art. And believe me the players practise frees. Constantly. I think it's a mental thing as much as anything. I just don't know how much more a manager can do to improve a players free taking. I mean some of them have been hitting frees for their clubs since they were 14-15 years old. Again very very successfully. It's a very strange situation and one that I hope gets sorted ASAP

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 2088 - 21/01/2017 21:58:38    1947636

Link

I don't think Tyrone are quite ready yet, but the funny thing about them is, under a guy like Harte they have the capacity to step up if they make the business end, which they should. There is no Canavan, O'Neill or even a Mugsy in their 15 but they're not a mile off. It will take a decent side to beat them, and there's a few around.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8592 - 21/01/2017 22:40:21    1947639

Link

Can't see Tyrone winning the All Ireland. They are a decent side but the new players aren't all ireland winners in my opinion. Possibly in the future but not this year.

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1671 - 22/01/2017 00:24:16    1947648

Link

I think with a bit of luck like we got in 2014 where we beat savage mayo and Donegal teams Tyrone could deffo win the allireland .
No 1 gave us a chance outside our own county but I had a sneaky suspicion we'd win it, sometimes you just get a feeling or a kind of a buzz that something is happening.
I remember we had lost gooch Galvin and Tomas and we beat Tyrone in the league game by 17 points and were robbed against the dubs by coldrick in crokepark. But I knew we were more unpredictable without the gooch.
The dubs are trying to create a myth that they are unbeatable and of course it will be tough to beat them at home with a leinster ref but YES I think Tyrone can do it they can win the allireland.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 22/01/2017 12:09:52    1947682

Link