National Forum

Mayo vs Roscommon

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Pericles:  "Jimbo forgets about the two OG's which ultimately delivered Sam for the Dubs last year and is no doubt a believer in the sliding doors theory that Dublin would have found another way (can't argue with creationists). At least Leeroy's shot was going to require a save by the keeper."
Didn't forget at all

Just don't see any point in mentioning them as they have no relation to the point I was making

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 31/07/2017 12:06:55    2026569

Link

Just seen the prices for the replay 30 euro down from 35, they broke their heart with that farce of a price, 20 euro was more than enough, it costs 1 person nearly 100 euro to travel to Dublin on either train or car, then match ticket price and food, Grab All Association GAA

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1389 - 31/07/2017 14:13:39    2026662

Link

Replying To riverboys:  "Just seen the prices for the replay 30 euro down from 35, they broke their heart with that farce of a price, 20 euro was more than enough, it costs 1 person nearly 100 euro to travel to Dublin on either train or car, then match ticket price and food, Grab All Association GAA"
Agreed GAA sadly is now just been run as a business instead of a National Sport. I seen then taking drinks off kids on the way in yesterday which is fine in terms of safety, but to buy anything in Croke Park is rip off. I don't bring in food myself and sometimes there is fun made on those that do, but the cost of travelling, parking accommodation, food etc. GAA should not be ripping people off within the ground and taking drinks off them before they enter.

As_it_is (Mayo) - Posts: 6 - 31/07/2017 14:24:59    2026672

Link

Replying To riverboys:  "Just seen the prices for the replay 30 euro down from 35, they broke their heart with that farce of a price, 20 euro was more than enough, it costs 1 person nearly 100 euro to travel to Dublin on either train or car, then match ticket price and food, Grab All Association GAA"
That is really bad form. If they're going to charge that for a ticket at least keep it closer to home
You'd think they'd have a bit of cop on and try to maximise the crowd by playing it somewhere closer for both teams. I doubt either team would be too put out if the game wasn't played at Croker. If they get more than 15k on a Bank Holiday Monday I'd be surprised

keithlemon (Australia) - Posts: 920 - 31/07/2017 14:32:16    2026681

Link

Replying To OverBlackSpot:  "No surprise at all to hear the negative comments from the Sunday Game panel, a glass half empty crew if ever I saw it. Froget the fact Roscommon got 2-2 in first ten minutes, lee keegan driving mayo back into the game with 1-3 (og or no og have to credit him with the goal)

As a Rossie fan with ten minutes to go I"
I thought the two teams really went for the win right up to the final whistle. They were very courageous in their approach and wanted to eech out a one point win.

Spillane should be retired to grass at this stage. He just makes sweeping statements with nothing to back it up. I'd say the RTE producer must have had a word in his ear because he rowed back after initially being extremely harsh, and on Mayo in particular.

Mayo are a soft target for the Sunday Game pundits. I think Mayo deserve more credit than criticism. A lesser bunch of players would have thrown in the towel at this stage. They have come through in tight finishes against Derry and Cork and created the chances to win it yesterday too. They are judged as failures for not winning an All Ireland which I think is very unfair. Dublin have a stronger panel with classier forwards but yet they have had to earn every win they have had over Mayo since 2013. 2014 versus Kerry will haunt them if they never win Sam.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 31/07/2017 15:55:16    2026750

Link

Your welcome anytime...call to Westport...bring Connolly and il bring Leeroy ;) we will have a session

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts:8492 - 30/07/2017 22:12:07   2026258 

Cheers Yew.

I've had a fair few tangles with Connolly on the hurling field over the years. I reckon I could give even the likes of Keegan lessons!

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13707 - 31/07/2017 16:32:23    2026778

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Didn't forget at all

Just don't see any point in mentioning them as they have no relation to the point I was making"
I wasn't responding to your point Jim, not directly anyway, but you used the OG term to denigrate Keegan's goal. It might have been lucky, but so was the Rossies first one imo. And you won't get too many arguments that Mayo's performance was poor enough for three quarters of the game yesterday. But was it poorer than the Dubs the first day out last September? Even the best Dubs team of all time has ridden its luck and 3 of the 4 AI titles it has bagged could have gone either way with the breaks - only 2015 was a convincing win. It's a funny thing, there's no doubt the team's been struggling for form, but so long as it stays afloat in the championship I get more optimistic. That form will come... hopefully next Monday.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 2521 - 31/07/2017 16:38:14    2026785

Link

Posters here are complaining about the negative comments by the Sunday pundits and yet most posts on here are of a negative nature.

neverright (Roscommon) - Posts: 1648 - 31/07/2017 17:08:01    2026800

Link

Replying To Pericles:  "I wasn't responding to your point Jim, not directly anyway, but you used the OG term to denigrate Keegan's goal. It might have been lucky, but so was the Rossies first one imo. And you won't get too many arguments that Mayo's performance was poor enough for three quarters of the game yesterday. But was it poorer than the Dubs the first day out last September? Even the best Dubs team of all time has ridden its luck and 3 of the 4 AI titles it has bagged could have gone either way with the breaks - only 2015 was a convincing win. It's a funny thing, there's no doubt the team's been struggling for form, but so long as it stays afloat in the championship I get more optimistic. That form will come... hopefully next Monday."
I used the term to accurately describe the incident not attack Keegan who I in fact highlighted for praise, in that he stood out from a poor bunch on the day.

That's the worst I've seen that Mayo team

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 31/07/2017 17:26:26    2026806

Link

I thought it was an exciting game played by two poor teams with no hope of winning Sam.Kerry must be laughing, they had a nice training run yesterday that didn't knock a bead of sweat out of them and their semi opponents have to knock seven bells out of one another again next Monday.
Dublin V Kerry final.

Condorman (Dublin) - Posts: 983 - 31/07/2017 18:08:24    2026835

Link

Replying To BuffyBoffy:  "Toothless and headless"
ye would have an all ireland now if ye had given the job to mcstay..

Toothless (Dublin) - Posts: 38 - 31/07/2017 18:30:22    2026849

Link

Mayo play are they always play hard to beat and the majority of their players empty their tanks and their blanket defence give few points away from play making the best of forwards under pressure look average. Those on here that wrote Roscommon off got their answer yesterday, they were well prepared,organized and full focused to attack this game head on and were very close to getting that long awaited championship win against Mayo.

It was full blood contest very enjoyable and highly competitive contest and yes it had plenty of errors and the overall quality of play in difficult conditions wasn't the best but don't think either side deserve to lose. The winner of the replay will be more than ready for a Kerry side that aren't at the level of their previous teams.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 3347 - 31/07/2017 19:23:24    2026870

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "I used the term to accurately describe the incident not attack Keegan who I in fact highlighted for praise, in that he stood out from a poor bunch on the day.

That's the worst I've seen that Mayo team"
I partly agree, that's the worst I've seen Mayo play in a quarter final since before 2011, and some of that was down to the Rossies defending. But the Derry match a few weeks back and the Fermanagh one last year were an order far lower than yesterday. Mayo under Rochford are like a canal lock, they rise and fall to suit the traffic.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 2521 - 31/07/2017 19:27:26    2026872

Link

Replying To As_it_is:  "Agreed GAA sadly is now just been run as a business instead of a National Sport. I seen then taking drinks off kids on the way in yesterday which is fine in terms of safety, but to buy anything in Croke Park is rip off. I don't bring in food myself and sometimes there is fun made on those that do, but the cost of travelling, parking accommodation, food etc. GAA should not be ripping people off within the ground and taking drinks off them before they enter."
100% agree, these people in gaa hq live in a different planet knocking €5 off tickets hardly makes a difference,their will be full house on Saturday and Sunday at least they could do know 50% of the prices from yesterday prices and show Mayo and Roscommon supporters more respect

golfcar (Roscommon) - Posts: 60 - 31/07/2017 19:53:40    2026885

Link

I'm sick of rochford and his management team at this stage. How can the same guys always be the first to be substituted? And the same guys coming on. Every game of football is different with players form up and down and it just can't be that the same two players Boyle and Andy Moran are always the first to come off in a prearranged tactic. Why is Stephen even near this panel? He must be the most overrated player in mayo an David drake is not far behind him and these two guys are always rochfords first subs. Why Alan Dillon was kept on the panel is also mind boggling and if Brian reape, Irwin and Neil Douglas are not better than him at this stage well then they should pack in football alltogether.

He played Danny Kirby in every league game and Shane nally was outstanding in Tyrone and neither have hardly featured since. The end I fear is not far away

mayomanic (Mayo) - Posts: 85 - 31/07/2017 20:19:53    2026904

Link

Replying To mayomanic:  "I'm sick of rochford and his management team at this stage. How can the same guys always be the first to be substituted? And the same guys coming on. Every game of football is different with players form up and down and it just can't be that the same two players Boyle and Andy Moran are always the first to come off in a prearranged tactic. Why is Stephen even near this panel? He must be the most overrated player in mayo an David drake is not far behind him and these two guys are always rochfords first subs. Why Alan Dillon was kept on the panel is also mind boggling and if Brian reape, Irwin and Neil Douglas are not better than him at this stage well then they should pack in football alltogether.

He played Danny Kirby in every league game and Shane nally was outstanding in Tyrone and neither have hardly featured since. The end I fear is not far away"
I think most mayo people will agree with everything you said..alan Dillon has been brilliant for mayo over the years but its time to bring younger guys into the panel and let them have ago..a mayo man beside me was very happy to see the drake lad come on..

dave1988 (Roscommon) - Posts: 1055 - 31/07/2017 20:35:25    2026917

Link

Replying To neverright:  "Posters here are complaining about the negative comments by the Sunday pundits and yet most posts on here are of a negative nature."
You are being negative complaining about the negativity of other posters on this site ;)

Fair point though all the same.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 31/07/2017 20:42:01    2026922

Link

Replying To mayomanic:  "I'm sick of rochford and his management team at this stage. How can the same guys always be the first to be substituted? And the same guys coming on. Every game of football is different with players form up and down and it just can't be that the same two players Boyle and Andy Moran are always the first to come off in a prearranged tactic. Why is Stephen even near this panel? He must be the most overrated player in mayo an David drake is not far behind him and these two guys are always rochfords first subs. Why Alan Dillon was kept on the panel is also mind boggling and if Brian reape, Irwin and Neil Douglas are not better than him at this stage well then they should pack in football alltogether.

He played Danny Kirby in every league game and Shane nally was outstanding in Tyrone and neither have hardly featured since. The end I fear is not far away"
Hes looking out of his depth here.
Hes not maximising whats available to him.

Vishred (Mayo) - Posts: 303 - 31/07/2017 20:57:08    2026935

Link

Hopefully they'll hide the mentors laptop showing player's performance data. Pick and sub players based on how they're going in training and in game and not subbing them off when they're playing well, like Boyle, because the analysis says they're tiring.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7345 - 31/07/2017 22:56:22    2027042

Link

Fully agree and made this same point in relation to the Clare game. Alan was fantastic, but what must it be like for someone like Danny Kirby, who's fit, strong and in his footballing prime, to be given no game time game after game. If he can't push a 36 year old down the pecking order what does that tell us about the faith of the management team? Are the senior players still having more say than might be healthy?

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 2521 - 01/08/2017 09:05:10    2027135

Link