National Forum

Never Heard Of Him!

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To HurlingSnob:  "No. Tyrone and Armagh did not play direct football in the 00s. You might remember it that way when you see what we have now, but it's not true."
Textbook bitter revisionism.

Whatever about the subjectiveness of "direct football", Tyrone were fantastic to watch and to suggest an Armagh team with Clarke and McDonnell were not "direct" is pure fantasy.

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12120 - 18/07/2017 09:52:02    2018498

Link

Replying To Breffni39:  "Textbook bitter revisionism.

Whatever about the subjectiveness of "direct football", Tyrone were fantastic to watch and to suggest an Armagh team with Clarke and McDonnell were not "direct" is pure fantasy."
Armagh were diagonally direct! I remember them hammering us in the '05 League semi final, ball after ball kicked diagonally into Clarke and McDonnell. After the first few, and realising that we were gonna be beaten easily, you just have to sit there and admire the pinpoint accuracy of the long passes and some sublime point kicking.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7345 - 18/07/2017 10:12:26    2018508

Link

Replying To GreenandRed:  "Armagh were diagonally direct! I remember them hammering us in the '05 League semi final, ball after ball kicked diagonally into Clarke and McDonnell. After the first few, and realising that we were gonna be beaten easily, you just have to sit there and admire the pinpoint accuracy of the long passes and some sublime point kicking."
Yeah they were a joy to watch. And posters are insisting it never happened. Truly bizarre.

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12120 - 18/07/2017 10:44:43    2018517

Link

Replying To Breffni39:  "Yeah they were a joy to watch. And posters are insisting it never happened. Truly bizarre."
The other thing I remember about Armagh in 2002 was coming up against a Dublin team that were happy to batter their way past opponents. Up until then there was a period of a years where the Dubs almost had the copyright on playing the game on the edge. The fallout from the Armagh Dublin game was great wailing and gnashing of teeth as Armagh put them on their ass time and again - maybe this is where some posters have got scarred memories of that Armagh side.

Naysayer (Antrim) - Posts: 2071 - 18/07/2017 11:27:06    2018544

Link

Replying To Breffni39:  "Textbook bitter revisionism.

Whatever about the subjectiveness of "direct football", Tyrone were fantastic to watch and to suggest an Armagh team with Clarke and McDonnell were not "direct" is pure fantasy."
Revisionism? For revisionism to occur, the opposite view would have had to be expressed at the time, and a different view now. I had the same views about Tyrone and Armagh then as I have now. Nobody at the time described it as direct football or attractive football. They described it as puke football. Now that's an extreme term but it didn't arrive out of nowhere. At the very least it was described as defensive football, negative football. We didn't all just suddenly start a vendetta against these counties out of the blue. Why would we do that? They're great counties with great people. And their tactics were extremely successful for them and good luck to them. But why we have to then say that it was attractive is beyond me. And naming skilful forwards doesn't change that.

HurlingSnob (Dublin) - Posts: 220 - 19/07/2017 17:25:05    2019441

Link

Replying To HurlingSnob:  "Revisionism? For revisionism to occur, the opposite view would have had to be expressed at the time, and a different view now. I had the same views about Tyrone and Armagh then as I have now. Nobody at the time described it as direct football or attractive football. They described it as puke football. Now that's an extreme term but it didn't arrive out of nowhere. At the very least it was described as defensive football, negative football. We didn't all just suddenly start a vendetta against these counties out of the blue. Why would we do that? They're great counties with great people. And their tactics were extremely successful for them and good luck to them. But why we have to then say that it was attractive is beyond me. And naming skilful forwards doesn't change that."
I thought the term puke football only real began trending with the emergence of Donegal in 2011 in the first year under McGuiness when he appeared to be concentrating on getting the defensive side of the game correct first with that famous low scoring game against Dublin in particular getting particular scolding from the like of Spillane and O'Rourke. As other teams followed and Donegal went on to achieve success the term got thrown out regularly.

See my previous post as to perhaps a reason why you may have had such negative thoughts on Tyrone and Armagh in the noughties. Dublin in particular did not enjoy when the Nordies decided that enough was enough of getting their heads tramped on by the like of Meath etc and took a more aggressive game to the series. Big difference in playing with a real edge and blanket defence though.

Naysayer (Antrim) - Posts: 2071 - 21/07/2017 10:28:05    2020424

Link

Replying To Naysayer:  "I thought the term puke football only real began trending with the emergence of Donegal in 2011 in the first year under McGuiness when he appeared to be concentrating on getting the defensive side of the game correct first with that famous low scoring game against Dublin in particular getting particular scolding from the like of Spillane and O'Rourke. As other teams followed and Donegal went on to achieve success the term got thrown out regularly.

See my previous post as to perhaps a reason why you may have had such negative thoughts on Tyrone and Armagh in the noughties. Dublin in particular did not enjoy when the Nordies decided that enough was enough of getting their heads tramped on by the like of Meath etc and took a more aggressive game to the series. Big difference in playing with a real edge and blanket defence though."
Puke football was first coined by spillane in 2003 after Tyrone beat Kerry. If you think it only began in 2011 then im not sure you really follow GAA. The only reason I have negative thoughts about Armagh and Tyrone in that era is because their playing style, while successful, was not attractive to watch. It wasn't because they beat Dublin. Sure Tyrone were a far better team than Dublin at the time.

HurlingSnob (Dublin) - Posts: 220 - 22/07/2017 02:15:57    2020766

Link