National Forum

Carlow vs Wexford

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Wayno with egg on his face yet again...

Jimin10 (Meath) - Posts: 783 - 21/05/2017 17:44:51    1988860

Link

I went to see Louth v Wicklow , but this seems to have been a great game. Well done to Carlow. Got to say I didn't think it would have been them winning. Ahh thee Leinster championship got to love it.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 21/05/2017 17:58:45    1988873

Link

Fair play to Carlow, I was assuming Wexford would win this but great to have a bit of a shock on the first day. First win for them since 2011 too apparently.

Hopefully they give the Dubs a good rattle!!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6354 - 21/05/2017 18:50:35    1988916

Link

First of all, well done Carlow, better team on the day and you could see how much it meant to them at full time. Losing Daithi Waters to a BC after 15 minutes and Colm Kehoe our other midfielder to injury 5 minutes later was a huge blow to us and Brendan Murphy dominated from there on. Broderick kicked 9 or 10 points for Carlow and has a serious left foot. The first half was a hard game to watch as Carlow had 14 or 15 men behind the ball at all times but I felt the game livened up in the second half with the 4 goals. Ridiculous if true that the quarter final will be in Portlaois.

irishmanabroad (Wexford) - Posts: 48 - 21/05/2017 19:52:13    1988962

Link

Brilliant result for them no matter what happens against the Dubs, this result will do a lot for Carlow GAA.

woops (Kerry) - Posts: 2073 - 21/05/2017 20:09:35    1988972

Link

Well done Carlow. Delighted for the neighbours.

Laois76 (Laois) - Posts: 1270 - 21/05/2017 20:19:05    1988984

Link

Replying To Laois76:  "Well done Carlow. Delighted for the neighbours."
Nice to see shocks in the football and hurling championships today. You probably could classify Laois beating Longford a slight shock..it was to me anyway!

After the Camogie win last year Carlow GAA are getting a few days to savour. They've always had good footballers, just getting their better players out and a lacking a bit of confidence has hindered them.

Probably their best start to the championship since beating Wicklow and Wexford in 1996 before losing to Meath, eventual all-ireland winners.

Laois76 (Laois) - Posts: 1270 - 21/05/2017 20:53:30    1989013

Link

This has the makings of a very good game of football. I really think Carlow can do a job. They have a few quality big men in Gannon, Foley and Murphy and play a very attacking brand of football. Wexford were going okay in the league without ever demolishing anyone and the momentum ended when Banty made 14 changes for the Westmeath game. Carlow to spring a surprise in a game that'll be well worth going to.

icehonesty (Wexford) - Posts:2020 - 16/05/2017 22:20:42

Told ye boys. No surprise.

icehonesty (Wexford) - Posts: 2550 - 21/05/2017 21:13:24    1989023

Link

Turlough O'Brien is a Carlow man to the core he has spent up to three years putting this squad together and keeping them there. There's a hint of an Eire Og attitude of the glory years in them in that they play for one another, along with that the word sub's is not used loosely, from what I'm led to believe it's a panel of players from which a starting 15 is picked.
Carlow can win this one of that I have no doubt, they have the ability, the skill, the talent, all key positions filled, leaders on the field, replacements as/if required, a good solid manager and management team. So what can stop them from winning this one, well because I'm not a negative person, I can't answer that.
I won't be at the game, so unless KCLR allow me to tune in, I'll have to wait for post match comments, perhaps I might even be using that famous cliché, "worth waiting for."
supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts:1586 - 20/05/2017 00:10:37 1988461

The above is the latter half of a previous post of mine, and I think it points out the reasons why Carlow won today, I never doubted for a minute anything else other than a Carlow win.

Some previous poster showing "microscopic" particles of being a sports minded person said, - Cant wait for this. Has the makings of an all time classic.....Sigh! - and yes, he was right it was the makings of all time classic as far as I was concerned, I personally hoped it would go on for another 70 mins. My regret is, I wasn't at the game just listening in, would love to have been there to see that "classic" live. - - sigh.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2907 - 21/05/2017 23:01:34    1989067

Link

Well done Carlow. Never nice to lose a derby match, but ye deserve your win and enjoy it! Now go out and give the Dubs a good rattle next day, I don't think I'm the only yella-belly who'll be shoutin for ye!

extranjero (Wexford) - Posts: 375 - 21/05/2017 23:12:04    1989071

Link

Replying To icehonesty:  "This has the makings of a very good game of football. I really think Carlow can do a job. They have a few quality big men in Gannon, Foley and Murphy and play a very attacking brand of football. Wexford were going okay in the league without ever demolishing anyone and the momentum ended when Banty made 14 changes for the Westmeath game. Carlow to spring a surprise in a game that'll be well worth going to.

icehonesty (Wexford) - Posts:2020 - 16/05/2017 22:20:42

Told ye boys. No surprise."
I saw Carlow at 2/1 a few weeks ago and thought it was a fierce generous price for what'd probably be a 50/50 encounter.

extranjero (Wexford) - Posts: 375 - 21/05/2017 23:16:30    1989073

Link

Welldon to cavan and to carlow yesterday and to their players and supporters , i know neither result will send ripples thourhgt the gaa world but to those counties they are massive results its their all ireland final

success is relative and for cavan and carlow success is winning a game , just doing that can bring unbridled joys to supporters same for my beloved limerick when we play clare in both hurling and football next week ,

janesboro (Limerick) - Posts: 1502 - 22/05/2017 11:14:57    1989230

Link

Agree janesboro - it is great to have a weaker so called county taste success even if it is relative - our win in football yesterday was a huge win and for man y on the panel their very first ever win in championship! So - when the celebrations lifted off after the game - those who are involved know and understand why there were such great celebrations on the pitch.
We all know that all counties are putting in huge efforts and often with little real success and many who are involved with county squads get little real support in some clubs. That has been the case in Carlow for quite a while where some blinkered club people see the club as the b all and end all. That blinkered approach got its answer yesterday in the football.
Our hurlers don't suffer from the same blinkered approach and all the clubs get their best players to play... hence the success in the hurling by comparison with the football.
I know many will jump down my neck at he above statement but people need to face the truth. Looking forward to Portlaoise and the Dubs and Croke Park and the Glensmen! Summer has begun!

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1821 - 22/05/2017 20:31:11    1989565

Link

Fair play to carlow..deserve their day out against the dubs..no matter what the score is on the day.good for carlow GAA and the fans.
But it is championship after all, and this dublin team doesnt show mercy to weaker teams. Dubs by +16 at a canter..

GGdub (Dublin) - Posts: 260 - 22/05/2017 21:09:52    1989590

Link

Living on the Wexford/Carlow border has meant keeping the head down the past 24 hours or so, but well done to Carlow, ye really turned up, determined, with a well executed game plan, ye didnt panic and went for it when it was there for the taking. How many times would Carlow have lost that game coming into the last 15 mins after Wexford drew level.

I know some lads feel "disrespected" by Wexford, but not from me, probably been to as many Carlow club games as my own county, and have seen first hand, the hard work ye put in and I knew ye were going to win sooner rather than later, was hoping it wasnt going to be against Wexford. But ye did and ye deserve huge credit. Lads like St Ledger and Brendan Murphy would get in a lot of teams in Ireland.

As for Wexford, just hope we regroup, and try get a home game and pick up a win somewhere.

WexGoal (Wexford) - Posts: 13 - 22/05/2017 22:42:43    1989625

Link