National Forum

Another referee making up the rules

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Torcaill:  "No. The have to line out as per diagram with 3 in the half back / forward and 3 in the full back / forward lines."
As per diagram??? So if the corner forward stands in the half forward line the ref won't start the game?!?! Unenforceable & pointless.

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 22/05/2017 19:08:21    1989536

Link

Replying To s goldrick:  "The advantage rule is incorrect in GAA.

Currently if a fouled player is allowed advantage and is fouled again in a more advantageous position the free is brought back to where the original offence occurred. This makes no sense as it infers that the ball is not actually in play for those 5 seconds. The ball is in play."
That's not the case though. The rules say the play is brought back if no advantage occurs - in the case you describe the advantage is a free closer to goal. The referees guidebook makes that clear as well.

Soma (UK) - Posts: 2630 - 22/05/2017 20:41:46    1989572

Link

http://learning.gaa.ie/referee/advantage

benjyyy (Donegal) - Posts: 1422 - 22/05/2017 21:40:59    1989598

Link

Replying To benjyyy:  "http://learning.gaa.ie/referee/advantage"
As a point of information lads, umpires are not allowed to call a square ball, this is solely the referees job as ridiculous as that sounds.

Other thing which many club referees are getting totally wrong is the indirect free rule. Indirect frees are only to be given to the team in possession when the game is stopped for an injury. I've seen numerous referees give indirect frees to a team in possession after a game has been stopped for an off the ball incident. And in a similar way a team was awarded a free recently while a fight broke out at the other end of the pitch off the ball, the referee overturned the free and gave a throw in, totally wrong

890202 (Wexford) - Posts: 1278 - 22/05/2017 22:35:47    1989622

Link

i am delighted to see this. have the refs been told.

s goldrick (Cavan) - Posts: 5518 - 22/05/2017 23:26:43    1989638

Link

Replying To s goldrick:  "The advantage rule is incorrect in GAA.

Currently if a fouled player is allowed advantage and is fouled again in a more advantageous position the free is brought back to where the original offence occurred. This makes no sense as it infers that the ball is not actually in play for those 5 seconds. The ball is in play."
That is incorrect. The free would be from where the player was fouled the second time.

Torcaill (Australia) - Posts: 204 - 23/05/2017 00:13:44    1989646

Link

Replying To keeper7:  "As per diagram??? So if the corner forward stands in the half forward line the ref won't start the game?!?! Unenforceable & pointless."
Don't start twisting logic to suit your previous argument. The key logic is to ensure that all players are inside the 45 in football.

Torcaill (Australia) - Posts: 204 - 23/05/2017 00:16:08    1989648

Link

Replying To Torcaill:  "Don't start twisting logic to suit your previous argument. The key logic is to ensure that all players are inside the 45 in football."
Read my original post again. In the incident I'm referring to all players were well inside the 45m line. They just hadn't lined up as 3 half forwards & 3 full forwards. In my opinion, for a referee to insist on this formation at throw-in time is ridiculous. Logical now?

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 23/05/2017 10:42:18    1989715

Link

Replying To keeper7:  "Read my original post again. In the incident I'm referring to all players were well inside the 45m line. They just hadn't lined up as 3 half forwards & 3 full forwards. In my opinion, for a referee to insist on this formation at throw-in time is ridiculous. Logical now?"
It makes sense for the referee as having players line out in the traditional way allows him to quickly confirm that each side have 15 on the field. It also removes a potential flashpoint,6 or 8 lads clustered together before the ball is thrown in is a melee waiting to happen. Sounds like a manager gone crazy with tactics though.

Soma (UK) - Posts: 2630 - 23/05/2017 11:17:03    1989724

Link

Replying To Soma:  "It makes sense for the referee as having players line out in the traditional way allows him to quickly confirm that each side have 15 on the field. It also removes a potential flashpoint,6 or 8 lads clustered together before the ball is thrown in is a melee waiting to happen. Sounds like a manager gone crazy with tactics though."
Aye lad but how do you police it though? And so what if it is OTT tactics? This doesn't happen in rugby or soccer (I realise they both have an offside rule).

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 23/05/2017 13:00:40    1989787

Link

Replying To kikfada:  "Rule 2.1The refstarts the game with a throw in between2 players from each team who shall stand one behind the other in their own defensive sides of the half way line. All other players shall be in their respective positions behind the 45M Lines. F and 65 H."
Mid fielders rarely, if ever, line up behind each other nowadays but refs seem happy enough with the situation - in other words ref insists that other players are in position but midfielders can do as they wish. BTW does anyone remember what year the rule was introduced that only the midfielders could contest the throw-in?

neverright (Roscommon) - Posts: 1648 - 23/05/2017 17:23:06    1989909

Link

Replying To keeper7:  "Read my original post again. In the incident I'm referring to all players were well inside the 45m line. They just hadn't lined up as 3 half forwards & 3 full forwards. In my opinion, for a referee to insist on this formation at throw-in time is ridiculous. Logical now?"
The ref is right to insist on it because that is yhe rule. He shouldn't cherry pick whatever rules he wants, and people who don't know the rules shouldn't expect him to either !!!

Torcaill (Australia) - Posts: 204 - 23/05/2017 17:59:50    1989925

Link