National Forum

Another referee making up the rules

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To HurlingSnob:  "Just because others aren't called for too many steps doesn't make it ok for doc to take too many steps. That's like saying why did the guard pull me over for speeding when everyone else speeds. Too many steps is a blight on the game. It looks terrible but obviously the authorities have decided they don't care anymore. 5 steps is overcarrying, but these days people regularly take 8+ steps. The only time referees penalise you now is when you are bottled up, surrounded on all sides by players, unable to move or pass the ball, and ironically taking no steps whatsoever."
Completely agree. If it was 5/6 steps I would say fair enough given that he was being fouled. But he took way about 10. Just way too much. So he should have had a free in front of the posts. Between that and the other goal that was a 5 point swing when the game was tight.

2 refs are now needed in my opinion as the pace of the game is too much for them. So many bad decisions yesterday. Almost every game had at least one bad decision.

breakingball22 (Louth) - Posts: 419 - 22/05/2017 13:10:15    1989323

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "A lot of referees/umpires/fans/pundits seemed to have abandoned the square ball rule in open play.

The rule was amended not scrapped.

It'll only get a bit of traction if it happens in a close game later on in the summer."
Had a good look at Cillians goal last night and after slowing it down and throwing in a bit of slow motion came to the conclusion that he entered the square a fraction of a second before the ball was played so the goal should not have stood. Blaming the umpires though is a bit harsh as they don't have the benefit of replays and such before making their decision. It was so close that Cillians front foot hit the ground in the square at the exact moment the ball was passed. His momentum carried him forward so that he was almost on the line when he scored. Wrong call but understandable in my opinion.

Llaw_Gyffes (Mayo) - Posts: 1113 - 22/05/2017 13:16:06    1989325

Link

Replying To keeper7:  "Care to quote that rule please? Sounds ridiculous & totally unenforceable!"
2.1 The Referee, facing the players, starts the game and restarts it after half-time, by throwing in the ball between two players from each team, who shall stand one behind the other in their own defensive sides of the half-way line.
All other players shall be in their respective positions behind the 45m lines.

Torcaill (Australia) - Posts: 204 - 22/05/2017 13:21:11    1989329

Link

Replying To kikfada:  "The Fermanagh goalkeeper should have went for a Black Card on saturday night for a deliberate foot trip. Very simple and easy desision and he did'nt make it."
You were obviously watching that incident on tv like myself- in real time it was difficult to for anyone to be sure so I would give the Ref the benefit in that situation. However there were two Ferm players taken out of it with head high dangerous tackles which was very obvious to everyone in real time with no card given.

In Mayo/Sligo match the first goal was scored by taking 7 steps-the scorer was fouled and it should have been a free in. It is strange how all the big decisions go in with the big teams

browncows (Meath) - Posts: 2342 - 22/05/2017 13:33:21    1989344

Link

Replying To Torcaill:  "2.1 The Referee, facing the players, starts the game and restarts it after half-time, by throwing in the ball between two players from each team, who shall stand one behind the other in their own defensive sides of the half-way line.
All other players shall be in their respective positions behind the 45m lines."
So does that not mean that once they're behind the 45m line that they're alright?

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 22/05/2017 13:40:58    1989350

Link

Had a good look at Cillians goal last night and after slowing it down and throwing in a bit of slow motion came to the conclusion that he entered the square a fraction of a second before the ball was played so the goal should not have stood. Blaming the umpires though is a bit harsh as they don't have the benefit of replays and such before making their decision. It was so close that Cillians front foot hit the ground in the square at the exact moment the ball was passed. His momentum carried him forward so that he was almost on the line when he scored. Wrong call but understandable in my opinion.
Llaw_Gyffes (Mayo) - Posts:680 - 22/05/2017 13:16:06

Yeah I wasn't sure myself. Not particularly giving out about that goal standing but more the general mood out there that seems to think the square ball rule has been completely scrapped.

I've seen a few goals given that have been fairly blatant and no one seems to realise that the square ball rule still exists in open play.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13704 - 22/05/2017 14:05:38    1989365

Link

Replying To keeper7:  "Care to quote that rule please? Sounds ridiculous & totally unenforceable!"
Rule 2.1The refstarts the game with a throw in between2 players from each team who shall stand one behind the other in their own defensive sides of the half way line. All other players shall be in their respective positions behind the 45M Lines. F and 65 H.

kikfada (Louth) - Posts: 2091 - 22/05/2017 14:15:32    1989374

Link

Replying To HurlingSnob:  "Just because others aren't called for too many steps doesn't make it ok for doc to take too many steps. That's like saying why did the guard pull me over for speeding when everyone else speeds. Too many steps is a blight on the game. It looks terrible but obviously the authorities have decided they don't care anymore. 5 steps is overcarrying, but these days people regularly take 8+ steps. The only time referees penalise you now is when you are bottled up, surrounded on all sides by players, unable to move or pass the ball, and ironically taking no steps whatsoever."
As it stands if he took too many steps then it shouldn't. It's like this either it's a rule or it isn't not to be at the decretion of the referee

Spoddgy (Mayo) - Posts: 660 - 22/05/2017 14:22:35    1989383

Link

Replying To browncows:  "You were obviously watching that incident on tv like myself- in real time it was difficult to for anyone to be sure so I would give the Ref the benefit in that situation. However there were two Ferm players taken out of it with head high dangerous tackles which was very obvious to everyone in real time with no card given.

In Mayo/Sligo match the first goal was scored by taking 7 steps-the scorer was fouled and it should have been a free in. It is strange how all the big decisions go in with the big teams"
Remember lads if a player is signaled ADVANTAGE and then fouls the ball by throwing or overcarrying it is NOT a free in it is a free against him so a Referee should always try to blow the free before the player with 'ADVANTAGE' loses out.

kikfada (Louth) - Posts: 2091 - 22/05/2017 14:24:16    1989386

Link

Replying To keeper7:  "So does that not mean that once they're behind the 45m line that they're alright?"
No. The have to line out as per diagram with 3 in the half back / forward and 3 in the full back / forward lines.

Torcaill (Australia) - Posts: 204 - 22/05/2017 14:38:56    1989396

Link

Replying To kikfada:  "Remember lads if a player is signaled ADVANTAGE and then fouls the ball by throwing or overcarrying it is NOT a free in it is a free against him so a Referee should always try to blow the free before the player with 'ADVANTAGE' loses out."
no its not. If the ref is playing advantage and the player commits a technical foul, he can correctly award the initial free. otherwise it would be carnage if you are being fouled, the ref in his interpretation gives you advantage, but because you are being fouled you over carry the ball and the ref gives a free against you? That would be ridiculous. The ref has up to 5 seconds to award the initial foul. After that, yes he can call a foul against the team who were initially fouled if he has not awarded them the free.

james2011 (Wexford) - Posts: 602 - 22/05/2017 15:06:43    1989408

Link

Replying To james2011:  "no its not. If the ref is playing advantage and the player commits a technical foul, he can correctly award the initial free. otherwise it would be carnage if you are being fouled, the ref in his interpretation gives you advantage, but because you are being fouled you over carry the ball and the ref gives a free against you? That would be ridiculous. The ref has up to 5 seconds to award the initial foul. After that, yes he can call a foul against the team who were initially fouled if he has not awarded them the free."
You are incorrect James. If a player, while playing the advantage, fouls in any way then a free must be awarded against him. This includes taking the 5th step, over carrying, etc.

Whether people feel it is unfair or whatever, this is the rule.

Torcaill (Australia) - Posts: 204 - 22/05/2017 15:50:28    1989431

Link

Replying To james2011:  "no its not. If the ref is playing advantage and the player commits a technical foul, he can correctly award the initial free. otherwise it would be carnage if you are being fouled, the ref in his interpretation gives you advantage, but because you are being fouled you over carry the ball and the ref gives a free against you? That would be ridiculous. The ref has up to 5 seconds to award the initial foul. After that, yes he can call a foul against the team who were initially fouled if he has not awarded them the free."
This should be the case but it is not. lets say you receive Advantage and throw the ball within 5 seconds the ref will shall award a free against you. The same for steps if you break the foul/tackle and are awarded Advantage and then take 5 steps even within the 5 seconds it is a free against not back to your advantage. Carnage is right i hav'nt seen it yet but thats the rule.

kikfada (Louth) - Posts: 2091 - 22/05/2017 16:04:05    1989440

Link

It's incredible but the lads above are right. If the team with the advantage commits a foul then it is a free to the opposition rather than a free for the advantage. This is NOT in the official rules but it is in the guidance given to referees. That is farce number 1. Farce number 2 is the rule itself as it opens it up to exactly this problem. So if a man takes 4 steps, is fouled and advantage played and then takes one more step, then going by the guidance it should be a free out. Nuts.

benjyyy (Donegal) - Posts: 1422 - 22/05/2017 16:29:32    1989459

Link

Replying To Torcaill:  "You are incorrect James. If a player, while playing the advantage, fouls in any way then a free must be awarded against him. This includes taking the 5th step, over carrying, etc.

Whether people feel it is unfair or whatever, this is the rule."
Can you show where you get this from. The rule says if no advantage accrues within 5 seconds it should be called back and a free awarded. If a fouled player then fouls the ball himself what advantage has accrued?

Soma (UK) - Posts: 2630 - 22/05/2017 16:34:09    1989465

Link

Replying To kavvie:  "amazed at the lads on the sunday game last night saying coc goal was ok..sure it was quite plain he was inside the square wen the pass was made,,..i thought the "highlight" bad ref decision yesterday was the free given against mark ellis in the first half of the hurling"
You can be in the square in general play, but not from set play ie frees, sidelines etc, thats the rule in football anyway ,hurling is the same I think ,!

Teddy5 (Wexford) - Posts: 122 - 22/05/2017 17:07:59    1989482

Link

Replying To Soma:  "Can you show where you get this from. The rule says if no advantage accrues within 5 seconds it should be called back and a free awarded. If a fouled player then fouls the ball himself what advantage has accrued?"
It does not state it in the rules. However, the fact that it does not state that the player is allowed to "foul" within the advantage while still maintaining it infers that it cannot go unpunished. I don't necessarily agree with it, but that is the reason referees are advised to treat the advantage with caution and unless there is a very clear advantage, blow the first foul.

(Based on 14 years as a Referee tutor, countless seminars in Croke Park, many more additional years refereeing at Intercounty and Club level.)

Torcaill (Australia) - Posts: 204 - 22/05/2017 17:18:09    1989486

Link

Replying To kikfada:  "The Fermanagh goalkeeper should have went for a Black Card on saturday night for a deliberate foot trip. Very simple and easy desision and he did'nt make it."
Admin we'll try again. I would like to know how you determined that it was deliberate. As far as I can see he tried to play the ball and missed it.

neverright (Roscommon) - Posts: 1648 - 22/05/2017 17:30:18    1989495

Link

Replying To Torcaill:  "It does not state it in the rules. However, the fact that it does not state that the player is allowed to "foul" within the advantage while still maintaining it infers that it cannot go unpunished. I don't necessarily agree with it, but that is the reason referees are advised to treat the advantage with caution and unless there is a very clear advantage, blow the first foul.

(Based on 14 years as a Referee tutor, countless seminars in Croke Park, many more additional years refereeing at Intercounty and Club level.)"
Thanks for the reply. I still don't know how a referee could adjudge that an advantage has occurred if the foul results in a player overcarrying. I can understand why the referee guidance says if there is a second foul the free should go against the attacking team as otherwise players would have an incentive to foul with no real punishment during an advantage period. I have also never seen a referee penalise a player for overcarrying while advantage is being played. Having said all that my biggest frustration as a player is a forward being allowed by a referee to carry a ball 10 steps because he is being fouled.

Soma (UK) - Posts: 2630 - 22/05/2017 18:12:18    1989512

Link

Replying To Torcaill:  "It does not state it in the rules. However, the fact that it does not state that the player is allowed to "foul" within the advantage while still maintaining it infers that it cannot go unpunished. I don't necessarily agree with it, but that is the reason referees are advised to treat the advantage with caution and unless there is a very clear advantage, blow the first foul.

(Based on 14 years as a Referee tutor, countless seminars in Croke Park, many more additional years refereeing at Intercounty and Club level.)"
The advantage rule is incorrect in GAA.

Currently if a fouled player is allowed advantage and is fouled again in a more advantageous position the free is brought back to where the original offence occurred. This makes no sense as it infers that the ball is not actually in play for those 5 seconds. The ball is in play.

s goldrick (Cavan) - Posts: 5518 - 22/05/2017 18:18:36    1989516

Link