National Forum

Monaghan vs Fermanagh

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

so who all exactly is missing for Fermanagh. If the following players are still available they will put it up to Monaghan.

Tomas Corrigan, Eoin Donnelly, Ryan Jones, Ryan McCluskey, Declan McCusker, Barry Mulrone, Sean Quigley, Aiden Breen. Che Cullen, Lee Cullen,

Are these players available ?

s goldrick (Cavan) - Posts: 5518 - 09/05/2017 10:05:22    1985387

Link

Replying To s goldrick:  "so who all exactly is missing for Fermanagh. If the following players are still available they will put it up to Monaghan.

Tomas Corrigan, Eoin Donnelly, Ryan Jones, Ryan McCluskey, Declan McCusker, Barry Mulrone, Sean Quigley, Aiden Breen. Che Cullen, Lee Cullen,

Are these players available ?"
Jones is out. McCusker it looks like will be out. Corrigan should be fit but again not 100% certain. Quigley may not be available.

The rest should all be fit and available.

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 09/05/2017 11:35:53    1985422

Link

Only one week to go now. Think this one could be a lot tighter than people expecting. Monaghan by 4

monaghanfan (Monaghan) - Posts: 22 - 13/05/2017 21:32:14    1986480

Link

I'm expecting Fermanagh to give us a good game with Monaghan to pull away in the last 15-20 or so
Hopefully McManus get's back into form for the championship too

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 738 - 14/05/2017 17:11:00    1986592

Link

Seen Fermanagh against Meath and though they had gone back a lot since last year, although one of the best player on the field that day was their full back. Big Quigly was poor which left little forward power up front.

browncows (Meath) - Posts: 2342 - 14/05/2017 17:58:37    1986603

Link

I would expect Monaghan to have too much for them. Might not be a massive score difference, but they should could out with the win.

Marse (Dublin) - Posts: 217 - 14/05/2017 18:28:54    1986610

Link

First televised match, look forward to seeing copper and brolly together if they are the first up.

oakleafersir (Derry) - Posts: 808 - 15/05/2017 10:27:23    1986737

Link

Will Corrigan and Quigley be alright for the match. They could cause a few problems for Monaghan if they play at full ability.

oakleafersir (Derry) - Posts: 808 - 16/05/2017 23:26:39    1987350

Link

Am still haunted by memories of a quarter final defeat in Brewster back in 2008.

Any win, of any sort that sets up an O'Classico will do for me.

Hon

Knoxboya (Monaghan) - Posts: 357 - 17/05/2017 11:59:27    1987459

Link

Replying To Knoxboya:  "Am still haunted by memories of a quarter final defeat in Brewster back in 2008.

Any win, of any sort that sets up an O'Classico will do for me.

Hon"
I can't believe people had Monaghan down as favourites for that game in 08. That was a very good Fermanagh side that was back boned by Macrory sides that had won 3 out of 4 competitions from 99-02 and whose side in 03 should have won it. The one side that didn't win the MaCrory in the 99-02 era got beat by a Sean Cavanagh inspired St Pats Armagh side who won with the last kick if memory serves me correct in 2000.

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 17/05/2017 12:55:27    1987485

Link

Agree with you Gotmilk,

...IIRC Monaghan's previous year one point quarter final defeat to Kerry meant that all the pre match hype was entirely focussed on Monaghan...and it got way way out of hand with supposed experts dismissing Fermanagh with no analysis.

Joe Brolly (I know) on RTE said he saw Banty before the match and he looked petrified.

Moral of the story: manage the head, manage the game.

Knoxboya (Monaghan) - Posts: 357 - 17/05/2017 14:27:32    1987540

Link

The closer this match gets the more edgy Monaghan are becoming. Drew Wylie talking about home advantage, Colin Walsh insisting that lessons were learned last year, O'Rourke reminding everyone that nothing is being taken for granted.
When you hear this type of stuff it is a sure sign that the result is being taken for granted. Monaghan understandably are not used to being favorites and it is showing. Still, Fermanagh should not have enough to trouble them but we said that last year about Longford. First 20 minutes will tell a lot. It will be an enjoyable match to watch.

MadgeKing (Cavan) - Posts: 493 - 17/05/2017 15:36:08    1987587

Link

Monaghan understandably are not used to being favorites and it is showing.

I think I've seen you say this a few times and you'll have to elaborate, as it doesn't make much sense.

The Longford result aside(which was a huge shock), Monaghan have more or less won all the games we've been expected to win since Malachy came in. A couple of the games we lost to Donegal and Tyrone may have been when we were slight favourites, but really those were toss ups so its not like we've lost a game we were big favourites in, Longford aside.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 936 - 17/05/2017 18:16:02    1987671

Link

Replying To MadgeKing:  "The closer this match gets the more edgy Monaghan are becoming. Drew Wylie talking about home advantage, Colin Walsh insisting that lessons were learned last year, O'Rourke reminding everyone that nothing is being taken for granted.
When you hear this type of stuff it is a sure sign that the result is being taken for granted. Monaghan understandably are not used to being favorites and it is showing. Still, Fermanagh should not have enough to trouble them but we said that last year about Longford. First 20 minutes will tell a lot. It will be an enjoyable match to watch."
so thay are getting edgy but they are taking them for granted, they will have too much for Fermanagh yet Fermanagh could beat them. what exactly is it you are trying to say. ?

Here is the long at the short of it. Monaghan are rightly favourites. Fermanagh are no pushovers and will make a game of it but ultimately they will come up short.

s goldrick (Cavan) - Posts: 5518 - 18/05/2017 07:45:45    1987785

Link

Replying To s goldrick:  "
Replying To MadgeKing:  "The closer this match gets the more edgy Monaghan are becoming. Drew Wylie talking about home advantage, Colin Walsh insisting that lessons were learned last year, O'Rourke reminding everyone that nothing is being taken for granted.
When you hear this type of stuff it is a sure sign that the result is being taken for granted. Monaghan understandably are not used to being favorites and it is showing. Still, Fermanagh should not have enough to trouble them but we said that last year about Longford. First 20 minutes will tell a lot. It will be an enjoyable match to watch."
so thay are getting edgy but they are taking them for granted, they will have too much for Fermanagh yet Fermanagh could beat them. what exactly is it you are trying to say. ?

Here is the long at the short of it. Monaghan are rightly favourites. Fermanagh are no pushovers and will make a game of it but ultimately they will come up short."
Ok so, I suppose that was not so clear!
What I am ineloquently getting at is that Monaghan know they are clearly favourites for this match which is right and logical. But there is something about them psychologically that makes them very uncomfortable in this situation.
It's as if they don't want the expectation on their shoulders. Most of their best days, and to their credit there have been a good few in the last decade, have come when they were written off totally. On the other hand the pressure is different when expectation builds. So now it is a case of spinning Fermanagh's odds as closer to 50:50 in interviews etc. I take the point that this happens for many other counties (e.g. Kerry talking up Limericks chances every couple of years). But for Monaghan it is different because they are never quite sure of the win whereas Kerry are 99% over the line in their heads. Monaghan have built a good, balanced competitive team but maybe this refusal to believe is a big reason why they will ultimately fall short. Would there be any doubt if Donegal or Tyrone were playing Fermanagh this weekend? I doubt it...

MadgeKing (Cavan) - Posts: 493 - 18/05/2017 10:01:20    1987826

Link

Replying To MadgeKing:  "
Replying To s goldrick:  "[quote=MadgeKing:  "The closer this match gets the more edgy Monaghan are becoming. Drew Wylie talking about home advantage, Colin Walsh insisting that lessons were learned last year, O'Rourke reminding everyone that nothing is being taken for granted.

Here is the long at the short of it. Monaghan are rightly favourites. Fermanagh are no pushovers and will make a game of it but ultimately they will come up short."
Ok so, I suppose that was not so clear!
What I am ineloquently getting at is that Monaghan know they are clearly favourites for this match which is right and logical. But there is something about them psychologically that makes them very uncomfortable in this situation.
It's as if they don't want the expectation on their shoulders. Most of their best days, and to their credit there have been a good few in the last decade, have come when they were written off totally. On the other hand the pressure is different when expectation builds. So now it is a case of spinning Fermanagh's odds as closer to 50:50 in interviews etc. I take the point that this happens for many other counties (e.g. Kerry talking up Limericks chances every couple of years). But for Monaghan it is different because they are never quite sure of the win whereas Kerry are 99% over the line in their heads. Monaghan have built a good, balanced competitive team but maybe this refusal to believe is a big reason why they will ultimately fall short. Would there be any doubt if Donegal or Tyrone were playing Fermanagh this weekend? I doubt it..."]I don't think there's any doubt there, but do you expect Malachy and the players to completely write off Fermanagh when they're asked about them by the media? These kind of lines about not taking Fermanagh for granted are bound to come up considering we were knocked out of the championship last year by a much lower ranked team who we were expected to beat well. It doesn't mean they're any less confident of winning this weekend. It's a good balanced team at this stage who are well confident in themselves.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 936 - 18/05/2017 11:30:18    1987862

Link

Madgeking,id be more worried about your own county's failure to deal with been favourites.............the one game you's were favourites this year against Roscommon you's were bet out the gate!!!!!!!

Us in Monaghan,we take one game at a time,respect the team we are playing,study them and try our best to beat them,unlike you's who if you's get a result in a game it goes to your heads and you's talk about taking over the world!!We will beat Fermanagh if we perform,if we dont we might lose,same as everyother team in the country.

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1366 - 18/05/2017 14:54:47    1987978

Link

Replying To hardcore:  "Madgeking,id be more worried about your own county's failure to deal with been favourites.............the one game you's were favourites this year against Roscommon you's were bet out the gate!!!!!!!

Us in Monaghan,we take one game at a time,respect the team we are playing,study them and try our best to beat them,unlike you's who if you's get a result in a game it goes to your heads and you's talk about taking over the world!!We will beat Fermanagh if we perform,if we dont we might lose,same as everyother team in the country."
Hardcore, You having be rabbiting on about Monaghan this 10 years and you will always live in the Shadow of the Cavan man. MOnaghan are typical TG4 footballers. Play well in the league but useless in the Championship. And if you get over Fermanagh this weekend you will be in for a pasting in Breffni when you enter the Foxes Denn!

foxes_denn (Cavan) - Posts: 129 - 18/05/2017 20:51:33    1988110

Link

Cavan folks, yawn, boring, actually Fermanagh will give us a better game than yous will, and when we turn up in Cavan, sure it's. just another stepping stone for us, see yous in June ya yaps

binman53 (Monaghan) - Posts: 104 - 18/05/2017 21:48:15    1988129

Link

Not long to go now, can't bate the start of the championship.

Like the look of that Monaghan team, especially looking forward to seeing how the full forward line of McManus, McCarron and McCarthy gets on. Alot of scoring in that forward line, although I wouldn't be surprised if there are changes before the game, Malachy is usually good for one or two.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 936 - 20/05/2017 12:41:16    1988521

Link