National Forum

Ulster Football Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Tyrone to win out against Monaghan in the final. Whether the critics like it or not I think Mickey will have the system in place to break out fast and hit teams on the counter. Tyrone have good forwards but scores will come from other areas. Tyrone looked tired in the league and may have suffered from playing so many back to back matches. Still not sure about Donegal and they made need a bit more time while introducing new players. Monaghan may have found a good forward in McCarron to take some of the pressure of McManus.

Byanthon (Tyrone) - Posts: 1780 - 21/04/2017 12:58:21    1981439

Link

Replying To Byanthon:  "Tyrone to win out against Monaghan in the final. Whether the critics like it or not I think Mickey will have the system in place to break out fast and hit teams on the counter. Tyrone have good forwards but scores will come from other areas. Tyrone looked tired in the league and may have suffered from playing so many back to back matches. Still not sure about Donegal and they made need a bit more time while introducing new players. Monaghan may have found a good forward in McCarron to take some of the pressure of McManus."
Delusional to say the least!

I can't stand this attitude that Mickey can do no wrong. Everyone appreciates what he has done but the time has definitely come to move on. 15 years is too long and especially as we have achieved so little over this past 7-9 years.

There is natural progression with most county managers which helps to ensure that the next generation are bought through. This is that the minor management if successful move on to U21 and then to senior. This happened for Mickey when he took charge at the end of 2002 and the honorable thing to do. It means that the players have a natural affiliation with the management and that no player becomes irreplaceable.

We have a successful U21 management team of Fergal, Peter and Brian and now is the time to use them at senior level.

I have lost count over the past decade of the amount of really talented players that were given either no chance or half a chance and then just dumped. The reason was not that they were not capable or talented but purely because they did not fit the Mickey Harte type player that he thought was required after the golden generation retired.

We are literally going to win nothing this year.

Wally (Tyrone) - Posts: 912 - 21/04/2017 13:38:01    1981449

Link

I do not say Mickey can do no wrong but he is the manager at the moment and I will back him while he is in the post. A change of manager does not always work in the 1990's lots of people called for Danny Ball successful under 21 manager to take over from Art McRory. Unfortunately it did not work out. One of the achievements is to keep Tyrone around the top tier despite all the changes over the last 15 years. Counties like Armagh, Meath, Galway who have won All-Ireland's in the last 18 years have all fell away for considerable periods. Over the last two years I though Tyrone have played some good football at times and were unlucky against both Kerry and Mayo in the last two all-Ireland's. I do think Tyrone will improve on that this year.

Byanthon (Tyrone) - Posts: 1780 - 21/04/2017 14:44:00    1981476

Link