IFC semi-final: St Michael's Lynch Nobber

October 07, 2017

St Michaels Phelim O'Reilly beats Nobbers Gerard Campbell to the ball during the Meath IFC semi final at Pairc Tailteann

The Lynchs outscored Nobber in the first IFC semi-final at Pairc Tailteann on Saturday afternoon.

St Michael's ...... 3-14
Nobbers ........... 1-9

Ciaran Lynch led the charge with 1-6, while David Lynch and Ronan Lynch chipped in with 1-1 and 0-1 respectively as St Michaels outclassed neighbours Nobber.

St Michael's lay the foundations for this win in the second quarter when turning a three-point deficit into a three-point interval lead. The Carlanstown-Kilbeg men kicked on from the restart to win by 11 points.

Between the 18th and 35th minutes, St Michael's turned the screw on Nobber outscoring them by 1-6 to 0-0 in that spell in overcast conditions.

Ciaran Lynch finished with 1-6 to his credit, before being withdrawn before the end in anticipation of the forthcoming decider.

The number 11 bagged his side's second goal in the 40th minute with help from Shane McDonnell to leave the board reading 2-9 to 0-7. The number 15 provided the assist for two of the winners' goals.

Moments earlier Dale Larkin (free) ended Nobber's barren spell, but it was little respite. St Michael's tagged on 1-5 in the final third of the hour while leaking 1-2.

Oran Meehan's second left-footed free moved 'Michael's 10 points clear by the midpoint of the second-half, 2-11 to 0-7.

Niall Farrell pulled by a goal for Nobber but it was countered by a similar score from David Lynch in the 53rd minute.

The final minutes were a procession for St Michael's with sub Ben Tobin getting among the scorers.

Nobber midfielder Alan Farrell was dismissed before the end which came shortly after Ray Reilly completed the scoring.

Nobber responded well to the concession of the opening score to St Michael's Ray Reilly within 20 seconds of the off. It was countered by a Dale Larkin free. It was the first of three times in the opening half that the sides were level.

With the wind behind them, Nobber set about making hay, moving three points clear on as many occasions, including  0-6 to 0-3 by the 18th minute  Moments earlier Oran Meehan drove a goal attempt for St Michael's wide at the old swimming pool end.

The number 14 atoned in the 22nd minute when driving to the net with assistance from Shane McDonnell to tie the scores, 1-3 to 0-6.

Despite playing against the elements, the Carlanstown-Kilbeg outfit closed out the half with three unanswered points. The sequence started in the 26th minute when Nobber 'keeper Dary Hutchinson tipped over Ronan Lynch's goal attempt.

Six different players contributed to Nobber's first-half total, but they had to face the wind after the change of ends.

St Michael's - Darren O'Connell; Ronan Cassidy, Jamie Reilly (C), Sam Briody; Christopher Drew, JB O'Reilly, Matthew Halpin; Peter O'Connell, Phelim O'Reilly; David Lynch (1-1), Ciaran Lynch (1-6, 5fs), Ronan Lynch (0-1); Ray Reilly (0-2), Oran Meehan (1-2, 0-2 fs), Shane McDonnell (0-1). Subs - Shane McCormack for R Lynch (56), Ben Tobin (0-1) for C Lynch (59)

Nobber - Dary Hutchinson; Eanna Fagan, Paul Meade (C), Jack Condra; Brendan Heffernan (0-1), Pauric Weldon, Niall Farrell (1-0); Alan Farrell (0-1), Thomas Murtagh (0-1); Stephen O'Brien (0-1), Dale Larkin (0-2 fs), Darren Lambe; Brian Meade, Fiachra McEntee (0-2, 1f), Karl Casserly (0-1). Subs - Gerard Campbell for O'Brien (38), Sean Meade for D Lambe (38), Barry Cassidy for Fagan (45), Gavin Farrelly for Larkin (bc 47), Conor Halpin for N Farrell (59).

David Coldrick (Blackhall Gaels)

Most Read Stories