IFC: The 'Ha' back on track

August 14, 2017

Ballinabrackey's David Finn with Andrew Battersby Curraha during the Meath IFC clash at Dunsany

Curraha 2-15 Ballinabrackey 2-12

Curraha got back to winning ways in the Intermediate championship after a hard-fought victory over Ballinabrackey on Sunday evening in Dunsany.

David Coyle opened the scoring for Curraha with a well taken point but Ballinabrackey were the ones who settled into the game better and raced into a 1-03 to 0-1 lead after 15 minutes and Curraha only got their second score of the game on the 19th minute mark when Gavin Coyle slotted over. This score seemed to bring Curraha back to life and Conor Moriarty added another point which was cancelled out by a score from Danny Quinn but Curraha finished the half stronger and four unanswered points from Moriarty had the teams level at the break on a score line of 1-04 to 0-07.

Points were traded inside the opening few minutes of the second half and it was end to end stuff and Curraha should have been ahead only for Coyle to be denied by a save from John Curry but they raised the green flag half way through the half thanks to David Toner to give them a three-point lead of 1-10 to 1-07 and this lead was increased to four after another Moriarty free. Points were traded again with Toner getting Curraha's with a fisted effort. The hard-working Sean Keogh added another and it looked like Curraha were kicking on to an easy victory but Ballinabrackey got in for their second goal to bring it back to the minimum. They added two further points to go one ahead but Keogh added his second to bring it back to a draw. A fantastic point from Damien Carroll had the Bracks back in front but Curraha weren't going to give in that easy and a fantastic solo run from Andrew Battersby ended up in David Toner being fouled inside the square. Referee Ciaran Flynn had no option in awarding a penalty in which Moriarty blasted to the net despite the best efforts of Curry.  Moriarty added a free soon after to give his side a three-point cushion in injury time and although Ballinabrackey tried hard to raise the green flag again they couldn't create a clear chance.

This very entertaining game of football was marred by some ugly scenes at the final whistle as tempers flared with both teams getting involved.

Curraha: L. Hogan, S. Hogan, N. Murphy, M. Jackson, S. O'Hanrahan, N. Shortall, M. Phelan, B. Joyce, D. Toner 1-01, G. Coyle 0-1, P. Dowling, A. Battersby, D. Coyle 0-1, A. Coyle, C. Moriarty 1-10. Subs: S. Keogh 0-2 for A. Coyle (BC)

Most Read Stories