IFC: Second win for Oldcastle

August 14, 2017

Oldcastle's Paddy Gilsenan

Oldcastle claim five points out of a possible six after recording their second win in this years Intermediate championship, this time against St. Ultan's in Kilmainham.

Oldcastle 2-13 St. Ultans 1-8

St.Ultan's were first on the scoreboard on the second minute until Oldcastle found their scoring boots with centre forward Paddy Gilsenan sending over two well taken points in quick succession. The game really had the championship aura built up by the tenth minute when a St Ultan's defender saw a straight red card with an off the ball incident involving Oldcastle's corner forward CJ Heay. The game ebbed and flowed with neither defence giving in until St Ultans found then net in the twenty-third minute; a goal which lifted them into a two point lead. This lead however, was to be short lived, as Oldcastle's numerical advantage began to to be evident throughout the rest of the opening half and raised the white flag on six occasions through substitute Robbie Farrelly (2) Jason Scully, Conor McHugh (2 1,f 1,45') and Robbie Smith. This left Oldcastle in the driving seat at half time with a score of line of 0-8 to 1-2.

St.Ultans began the scond half as they did the first by claiming the first score, but that immediately kicked Oldcastle's attack into gear and create a well worked move to stretch the Ultan's defence at pace and be palmed home by full forward Stephen Tierney to raise the green flag to retain a five point lead.

St.Ultan's kept the scoreboard moving in response of Oldcastle grabbing a foothold of the game, by sending over three frees to keep them within the fight. This however was not the case as Oldcastle began to stretch the strong spirited side even further by claiming six scores to kill out the half and claim the two points; further taken points from Farrelly and Gilsenan, Healy and Tierney ensured Oldcastle were the team who finished the strongest. To complete this streak of conviction Oldcastle put the game beyond St Ultan's reach when Paddy Gilsenan struck the back of the net in the final few minutes to ensure there was only one outcome.

Oldcastle will now aim to continue this form in the fourth round of the championship when they face a test from Walterstown.

Oldcastle Team: Packie Kevin, Keith Connell, Cian McPartland, Rory McHugh, Steven Lawless, Gerard Reidy, Eoin Gilsenan, Ross Cadden, Conor McHugh (0-2, 1f,1 45'), Darren Hawdon, Paddy Gilsenan (1-3), Robbie Smith (0-2), CJ Healy (0-1, 1f), Stephen Tierney (1-1), Jason Scully (0-1)

Subs: Robbie Farrelly (0-3) for Healy 15', Niall Mangan for Cadden 45'

St. Ultans Report

St Ultans 1-8 Oldcastle  2-13

St Ultans played their 3rd round of the Intermediate Championship on Friday night in Kilmainham against Oldcastle. 

Defences were on top in the early stages with scores hard to come by Ultans took the early lead through a Cian Rennicks' free. Oldcastle responded with two Paddy Gilsenan points from play, the first of which was a goal attempt that was pushed over the bar by Cian Farnan. 

Ultans we reduced to 14 men early in the first half with the dismissal of Jason Bennett, however Ultans responded well and won a penalty after good pressure was put on the Oldcastle defence, Darren Kavanagh hit the net with the penalty to leave Ultans leading by two points approaching the 20 minute mark. Oldcastle forwards finished the half strongly with 6 points. Ultans only response was a point from midfielder Kevin Galligan

The second half opened brightly for Ultans with a free from Cian Rennicks. Ultans missed a goal chance that would have restored the lead and within a few minutes Oldcastle proved more ruthless in front of goal to hit the net and lead by six. 

Ultans continued to battle hard and despite the numerical disadvantage closed the gap to three, 1-10 to 1-7, approaching the final few minutes, with points from Breslin and Rennicks. The game was in the balance right up to the last few minutes but some late points and a goal with the last attack left eight points between the sides at the finish. Next up for Ultans in the Championship is a must win game against Nobber 

St Ultans: Cian Farnan, Darren Costello, Sean Herward, Jason Bennett, Martin Dolan, Ronan Galligan, Declan Ball, Declan Galligan, Kevin Galligan 0-1 , Mark Allen, Ronan Breslin 0-2 2f, Emmet Costello, Conor Smyth , Cian Rennicks 0-5 5f, Darren Kavanagh 1-0 pen. Subs used Darren Mallon, Paul Murray

Most Read Stories