SFC Group B: O'Mahonys maintain 100% record

July 25, 2017

Jake Regan Navan O'Mahonys

Navan O'Mahonys posted their second win in the SFC when holding off a late charge from St Colmcille's at Pairc Taileann on Tuesday night.

O'Mahonys ......... 0-12
St Colmcille's ......0-9

The scores were tied four times in the opening 28 minutes before the Navan-side kicked-on to lead by 0-10 to 0-5 after 43 minutes when Paul Whelehan knocked over a great point.

St Colmcille's got to within a goal of the 2015 SFC winners on two subsequent occasions on an overcast night. However, they were denied a couple of goal chances by staunch defending.

It was a second narrow defeat for Des Lane's men (who lost by the narrowest margin to champions Simonstown Gaels first time out). Listed as 15, county star Graham Reilly adopted a deeper role and landed two points. However, Gary O'Brien did well to curb his influence.

St Colmcille's other corner-forward Daryl Brodigan, was also 'nominal' but covered even more ground that his high profile team mate.

O'Mahonys' winning margin was the same as in the opening round clash with Blackhall Gaels.

Niall McKeigue's block on Donal Meagher's 47th minute goal attempt set a fine example for the O'Mahonys' defence. Had it gone it in St Colmcille's would have been just two points off the pace early in the final quarter.

As the hour entered stoppage time, Ben Brennan's lobbed free from the stand side almost conjured up a leveling goal but the combined efforts of the O'Mahonys' rearguard kept out Donal Meagher's attempt to level matters.

The outcome of the last second round game in the competition, a second three-point win for the Brews HIll side, owed much to the collective efforts of the team.

With the breeze blowing from the town end the sides were tied three times in the opening 18 minutes. Des Lane's men led briefly when Ben Brennan made it 0-3 to 0-2 in the 17th minute.

O'Mahonys led for most of the opening half but recorded seven wides during this period, including five in the first quarter. St Colmcille's recorded four in the first 30 minutes. St Colmcille's has four second-half wides to O'Mahonys' three.

Ruairi O Coileain finished with 0-5 for O'Mahonys. His tally included a first-half stoppage time effort that made it 0-5 to 0-4 to the Navan men. It was a lead they maintained to the end.

From the restart, O'Mahonys gradually increased their lead. They were much indebted to the bravery of 'keeper Marcas Brennan who made a timely fetch under pressure moments into this second-half.

O'Mahonys - Marcas Brennan; James O'Malley, Niall McKeigue, Ian Matthews; James O'Reilly, Gary O'Brien (0-1), Shane Crosby; Stephen Monaghan, Conor Finnegan; Ruairi O Coileain (0-5 2fs), Dylan Regan (0-1), Daragh Maguire; Shane Gillespie (0-1), Paul Whelehan (0-1), Jake Regan (0-3, 2fs). Subs - Darragh Smyth for Gillespie (bc 30), Brian Dillon for Maguire (52), Aodhan Mallon for J Regan (60).

St Colmcille's - Andrew Beakey; Tomas O Hoistin, Jamie McDonnell, Adam Lynch; Cathal Hilliard, Ian Mullen, Jeff Kavanagh; Conor O'Byrne (0-1), David O'Byrne (0-1); Ciaran Kelly (0-1f), Ben Brennan (0-3, 1f)), Jack Reynolds (0-1); Daragh Brodigan, Donal Meagher, Graham Reilly (0-2). Subs - David Sheeran for D O'Byrne (bs), David Sheeran for Brodigan (52), James McAlearney for Reynolds (56).

Referee - David Coldrick (Blackhall Gaels)

Most Read Stories