IFC semi-final: Cilles up gears in extra time

October 03, 2016

Jamie McDonnell St Colmcilles with Walterstown's Davy Reynolds during the Meath IFC semi final at Pairc Tailteann

St Colmcille's left Walterstown in their slipstream in extra time in the second Meade Potato IFC semi-final at Pairc Tailteann on Sunday afternoon.

St Colmcille's .......... 2-19
Walterstown ........... 0-16

The Seasiders were playing catch-up for most of the first hour and needed a James Conlon point to force the additional 20 minutes with the teams tied, 1-10 to 0-13.

Graham Reilly well-taken goal was the most significant score in the first period of extra time. Five points in three minutes at the start of the second 10 minutes secured their passage to final against Dunderry.

Walterstown will look to seven wides in the second-half of normal time as well as enduring nearly 24 scoreless minutes in that phase of the hour as reasons for their demise.

Eamon Barry's men were first to register in extra-time with Ruairi O'Dowd completing a fine move involving Alban Crosbie, Conor O'Sullivan and Ronan Barry.

A poor kick-out led to Graham Reilly's levelling score for St Colmcille's. Then in the sixth minute of extra time the county star fired to the net at the town end with support from Ben Brennan and Niall Ronan.

Alban Crosbie pulled a point back for Walterstown, but it proved to be their penultimate score. Further points from Reilly and sub Conor O'Byrne left it 2-13 to 0-15 at the extra time interval.

Five further points within three minutes of the resumption of extra time copper fastened the outcome. Reilly posted two of those, but the pick of the bunch was James Conlon's solo effort within two minutes of the restart.

With the outcome determined, the scoring rate slackened with sub Joey Coogan posting Walterstown's and the game's final score in the 18th minute of extra time.

St Colmcille's outscored Walterstown by 1-9 to 0-3 in extra time. The Blacks weren't headed until the 53rd minute when Ciaran Kelly's expertly netted a penalty at the old swimming pool end following a foul on sub David Sheerin.

That left it 1-9 to 0-11. Walterstown responded with points from Brian O'Connell (free) and Richie Barry (for which O'Connell provided the assist) to lead in stoppage time at the end of normal time.

Conlon forced extra time with one of his five scores from play. Such a wide winning margin did not look likely at the end of the hour.

Playing with a diminishing breeze, Walterstown got off to a good start with points from Davy Donnellan and Tom Walsh. From there St Colmcille's were playing catch-up. An excellent Richie Barry effort left it 0-6 to 0-2 midway through the half.

A Kelly free left just the minimum in it, 0-6 to 0-7, after 25 minutes. Walterstown closed the half with four unanswered points with Cathal Hennelly getting two. The Blacks led by 0-11 to 0-6 at the break.

Within two minutes of the restart St Colmcille's 'keeper Jordan Brown did well to keep out Brian O'Connell's goal attempt. Just two points were scored in the third quarter, both for Colm Nally's side.

The first 20 minutes of the second-half yielded just three St Colmcille's points with Conlon getting two and Ben Brennan (free) the other. The next score was Kelly's goal which boosted the recent Corn na Boinne winners' considerably.

St Colmcille's - Jordan Brown; Adam Lynch, Eoin Woods, Ciaran Ward; Jamie McDonnell, Joe Sweeney, Ian Mullen; Graham Reilly (1-6, 0-2fs), Robbie McCluskey (0-1); Ciaran Kelly (1-4, 1-0 pen, 0-2 fs), Ben Brennan (0-1f), Ruairi O'Grady; Jack Reynolds, Niall Ronan, James Conlon (0-5). Subs - David O'Byrne (0-1) for O'Grady (37), John McKenna for Woods (37), David Sheerin for Reynolds (47), Conor O'Byrne (0-1) for Kelly (59). Extra-time - Daragh Brodigan for Lynch (60), Danny McMahon for McDonnell (76), Sean Collier for McCloskey (77).

Walterstown - John Davis; Colin McGrane, Davy Reynolds, Colm O'Reilly; Davy Donnellan (0-1), Peter Reynolds (C), Mark McCormack; Conor O'Sullivan, Tom Walsh (0-3, 1 45); Alban Crosbie (0-2 1f), Ruairi O'Dowd (0-2), John Geoghegan; Cathal Hennelly (0-2), Richie Barry (0-2), Brian O'Connell (0-3 2fs). Subs - Ronan Barry for Geoghegan (51). Extra-time - Joey Coogan (0-1) for D Donnellan (63), Kashif Ali for D Reynolds (70), Cormac Madden for Barry (70), Paul Donnellan for O'Reilly (74)

Referee - Joey Curley (Moynalty)

Most Read Stories