SFC Group C: Wolfe Tones revive campaign with first win

August 21, 2016

Daniel O'Neill Wolfe Tones with O'Mahonys David Bray during the hoganstand.com Meath SFC game in Pairc Tailteann.

SFC Group C: Wolfe Tones revive campaign with first win

Wolfe Tones boosted their bid to make the business end of the hoganstand.com SFC on Saturday night when proving too good for holders O'Mahonys at Pairc Tailteann.

Wolfe Tones ....... 1-10
O'Mahonys .......... 0-8

Bouncing back from their nine-point loss to Na Fianna at this venue six days earlier, Wolfe Tones were the better team here.

Gordon Ward's men laid the foundations for a first win in four attempts in the opening half when creating a seven-point lead over the holders.

Navan O'Mahonys looked second best from the off but didn't help their cause with eight second-half wides when wind assisted. The 'Tones had half that number in the first-half.

O'Mahonys resumed with Kevin Reilly at midfield and within five minutes of resumption had cut three points of the deficit. Reilly posted the first with Cathal and Daragh Smyth adding one each.

The champions managed just one more score in the remaining 24 minutes; Rory Maguire's second score. The Wolfe Tones rearguard effectively shut out the O'Mahonys' attack. The closest they came to goaling was when Ruairi O Coileain's stoppage time free was deflected for a 45.

Increasing darkness, heavy rain at times and a crack of thunder puncuated an evening that was enjoyed by the Wolfe Tones' vocal support.

With the wind in their sails the 'Tones set the tempo from the off and might have goaled in the opening minute. Just over three minutes elapsed when Cian Ward landed a close range free.

The scores were tied for the only time in the opening half when David Bray levelled in the eighth minute.

Wolfe Tones moved 0-4 to 0-1 clear midway through the half with two Cian Ward frees and a Padraig Diamond effort from play.

O'Mahonys enjoyed a mini-revival in the 17th minute when points from Ruairi O Coileain (free) and Rory Maguire cut the gap to the minimum.

Seconds later Cian Ward goaled with an angled shot with assistance from Stephen Sheppard. Jake Regan (free) landed O'Mahonys last point of the half in the 19th minute.

Wolfe Tones closed out the half with four unanswered points with Thomas O'Reilly getting two. Stephen Sheppard also registered in this phase.

The 'Tones were denied a second goal when Cian Ward's 23rd minute effort crashed against the crashed. Four minutes later O'Mahonys''keeper Marcas Brennan advanced 20 metres to deny Fiachra Ward's goal attempt.

That left Wolfe Tones were seven points to spare at the break, 1-8 to 0-4, and on course for their first win of the campaign.

Wolfe Tones - David Nolan; Shane Glynn, Daniel O'Neill, Conor Sheppard; Eanna Harriington, Eoghan Harrington, Stephen Sheppard (0-2); Stephen Corrigan, Charlie McGarry; Padraig Diamond (0-1), Niall McLoughlin, Alan Callaghan; Thomas O'Reilly (0-2), Fiachra Ward (0-1), Cian Ward (1-4, 0-4 fs). Subs - Eanna O'Kelly-Lynch for Eoghan Harrington (bs 41-43), Eanna O'Kelly-Lynch for Diamond (44), Mark Coleman for Callaghan (50), Alan Fox for O'Reilly (59)

O'Mahonys - Marcas Brennan; Conor Finnegan, Niall McKeigue, Brian Dillon; James O'Reilly, Daragh Smyth (0-1), Gary O'Brien; Damien Moran, Daragh Maguire; Ruairi O Coileain (0-1 f), Stephen Bray, Rory Maguire (0-2); Jake Regan (0-2, 1f), David Bray, Cathal Smyth (0-1). Subs - Shane Crosby for Finnegan (30), Kevin Reilly (0-1) for Dillon (ht), Alan Forde for Regan (38), Henry Finnegan for C Smyth (59)

Referee - Richard Morris (Blackhall Gaels).

Most Read Stories