SFC: Ratoath caught by Summerhill late show

April 11, 2016

Summerhill's Ross Ryan

Summerhill 2-8 Ratoath 0-13

Summerhill got off to a winning start in the first round of the Hogan Stand Senior Football Championship against a Ratoath side that were playing in their first ever Senior Championship in Dunshaughlin on Sunday afternoon.

Ratoath led at half time 0-7 to 1-3 ahead. The Intermediate champions were well in control midway through the second half leading 0-12 to 1-4. A point from Sean dalton was quickly followed by two from Michael Byrne to leave two points between the teams. With the clock ticking down Ross Ryan pulled on a ball and hit the back of the Ratoath net. This proved to be the games crucial score and Summerhill held on to win by a point.

Summerhill scorers: Ross Ryan 1-1, Sean Dalton 1-0, Michael Byrne 0-2, David Dalton 0-2, David Larkin 0-1, Padraigh Geraghty 0-1, Ciaran Gillespie 0-1

Summerhill: Tony Mc Donnell, Willie Ryan, Caolan Young, John Lavelle, Padraigh Geraghty, Richie Hatton, Ronan Ryan, Michael Byrne, Ross Ryan, Paul Rispin, Ciaran Gillespie, David Larkin, David Dalton(capt.), Bobby Lyons, Sean Dalton. Subs: Iarla Hughes for Bobby Lyons, Damien Byrne for Ciaran Gillespie

Ratoath Report

Despite a bright start and a pointed free from Joey Wallace, Ratoath found themselves 1-1 to 0-1 down after 10 minutes after Summerhill excellently slotted home a penalty. This seemed to waken the players up and Ratoath hit four unanswered points in six minutes, two more frees from Wallace, one from marauding wing back Emmet Boyle and Bobby O'Brien to put Ratoath ahead by the minimum. Summerhill levelled matters three minutes later only for Boyle and Bobby O'Brien to put Ratoath two points ahead approaching half time.

With the last attack of the first half and first attack of the second Summerhill were back on level matters. Ratoath then took control and kicked five unanswered points over the next 15 minutes, Gavin McGowen kicked one, Wallace hit two points and Cian O'Brien struck two as well.  An injury to Brian Power forced him off from midfield and Summerhill started to hit the ascendency and in a period of 10 minutes they hit 1-4 without reply, the goal coming with two minutes to go really knocking the stuffing out of Ratoath. Wallace did hit an immediate reply from the dead ball to leave the minimum between the sides going into injury time of which there were three minutes of addede time for Ratoath to equalise. Despite a monster effort from Shane Duffy, it drifted just wide and the Hill held out for a fortuitous win in the first round of the championship.

Best for Ratoath on the day were Joey Wallace, Cian O'Brien and Emmet Boyle.

Ratoath Scorers: Joey Wallace (0-6, (0-5F)),  E Boyle (0-2), Cian O' Brien (0-2), Bobby O Brien (0-2) and Gavin McGowen (0-1).

Most Read Stories