SFC: Walterstown comeback denies Simonstown

April 13, 2015

Simonstown's Colin Wickham with Paul Donnellan Walterstown during the opening round of the hoganstand.com Meath SFC at Lomans Park Trim.

Walterstown 2-09
Simonstown 3-06

Walterstown came into this match against Simonstown as big underdogs, however an impressive second half comeback by the Blacks saw both sides finish on level terms.

Simonstown opened the scoring with a point inside the first 2 minutes, Richie Barry leveled a minute later before a free from Alban Crosbie and a 45 from Paul Donnellan put Walterstown ahead with 11 minutes gone. Christopher Reynolds added a point a minute later to put 2 between the sides. Simonstown however were awarded a penalty with Alban Crosbie fouling and with Conor Sheridan converting they now were back ahead. 2 minutes later Conor Sheridan hit the back of the net once again to now lead by 4 points, things got worse for Walterstown with Conor O'Sullivan shown a black card and Simonstown awarded their 2nd penalty of the match and Conor Sheridan found the back of the net for the 3rd time to give Simonstown a 7 point lead.  Simonstown added a point a minute later before Mark O'Meara got a much needed score for Walterstown in the 25th minute, after 14 minutes with no score. Simonstown added 2 further scores before the break to lead by 8 points at half time - Simonstown 3-04 v Walterstown 0-5.

The first 15 minutes of the second half saw both sides trade early scores and with Simonstown leading by 8 points with 15 minutes left many would have thought the Blacks would struggle to gain anything from the game. Walterstown however strengthened their team by bringing on Ruairi O'Dowd, David Donnellan and Mark McCormack who all helped change the game with Walterstown finishing the game the strongest, Richie Barry added a point before Alban Crosbie and Richie Barry both finding the back of the net and with Ruairi O'Dowd adding a point in between Walterstown now found themselves level with 4 minutes remaining. Walterstown had a great chance late on to win the match however Alban Crosbie's shot just went left of the post and the referee blew the full time whistle to leave the Full Time score - Simonstown 3-06 v Walterstown 2-09

Walterstown Team: John Davis, Aron McLoughlin, Conor O'Sullivan, Colm Reilly,, Peter Reynolds, David Reynolds, Cathal Hennelly, Alban Crosbie, Mark Reynolds, Mark O'Meara, Ray Reynolds, Christopher Reynolds,  Richie Barry, Paul Donnellan, Robbie McDonnell. Subs: C.McGrane for C O'Sullivan (bc), R.O'Dowd for R.McDonnell, D.Donnellan for R.Reynolds, M.McCormack for C.Reynolds, G.McGuinness for D.Donnellan(inj)


Simonstown and Walterstown played out a draw in this 1st round S.F.C. game played in Trim yesterday (April 12th) on a final score line of Simonstown 3-6 v. Walterstown 2-9.

Simonstown led 3-4 v. 0-5 at half-time thanks to three goals from full-forward Conor Sheridan. Two of those goals came from the penalty spot when referee Patrick Nelis awarded them for fouls on Pauric McKeever and Sheridan.

Despite this comfortable lead Walterstown rallied, and Simonstown could only manage to score two more points in the second half compared to Walterstown's 2-5. In fact Simonstown were lucky not to loose the game when Walterstown were awarded a free with time almost up, but Alban Crosbie's shot just trailed wide.

Simonstown Team: M.McCabe, B.O'Donnell, E.Donoghue, N.McMahon, R.O'Connor, S.Kenny, C.Wickham, M.O'Rourke, S.O'Rourke 0-1, S.Tobin 0-1, P.McKeever 0-3, J.Lyons, N.O'Brien, C.Sheridan 3-0, A.Kearney 0-1. Sub: B.McGrath for J.Lyons

Referee: Patrick Nelis (Kilmainham)

Most Read Stories