SFC: Summerhill overpower Rathkenny

April 12, 2015

Summerhill's Ross Ryan is put under pressure against Rathkenny in the hoganstand.com Meath SFC game at Pairc Tailteann.

Summerhill 3-12
Rathkenny 0-10

Summerhill outgunned Rathkenny in this hoganstand.com SFC Group A fixture at Pairc Tailteann on Sunday afternoon.

Declan McCabe's men finished with 11 points to spare and realistically might have bagged three more goals when playing against the wind in the first-half.

This was the third year running that the sides met at the round robin phase of the SFC, but there was never a chance of a repeat of the 2013 close encounter that saw Rathkenny prevail with a late Donal Curtis goal.

Both sides short key players with underdogs Rathkenny more adversely affected with county senior captain Donal Keogan unable to line out. They were also without Ross Gore, Jack Gore and Ronan Martin through injury.

Summerhill fielded without the injured Davy Larkin, Kevin Ryan (introduced as a sub to good effect) and Sean Dalton. Despite this Declan McCabe's men struck first with Barry Dardis firing to the net at the hospital end inside two minutes.

With Brian Lenihan and Caolach Halligan pointing placed balls with right and left boot respectively, Rathkenny worked their way into the game and levelled matters for the only time, 0-4 to 1-1,  with a splendid Lenihan score from a sideline in the 15th minute.

Summerhill lost experienced midfielder Damien Byrne through injury early in the second quarter but his replacement Kevin Ryan made an immediate impression as his side moved double scores clear, 2-4 to 0-5, by half-time.

The 'Hill might have netted three more goals in the opening half with one effort rebounding off a post, another blocked while Kevin Ryan shot into Colin Curtis arms in the last action of the half.

Moments earlier Summerhill got their second goal with Ross Ryan firing to the net to leave the south county side looking set for a winning start to the campaign.

The scoring rate dipped in the third quarter. Brian Ennis extended Summerhill's lead within 22 seconds of resumption. Eight minutes later Christy Meade replied with a great point for Rathkenny.

Three points from as many players in as many minutes moved Summerhill 2-8 to 0-6 clear by the end of the third quarter. Barry Dardis' second goal made up for some of the chances of similar scores denied them earlier.

Summerhill - Tony McDonnell; Iarlaith Hughes, Caolan Young, Willie Ryan; Padraig Geraghty, Davy Dalton, Eamon McDonnell; Conor Gillespie (0-1), Damien Byrne; Ross Ryan (1-0), Brian Ennis (0-3, 1f), Michael Byrne (0-1); Paul Rispin (0-2), Barry Dardis (2-2), Ross Ryan. Subs - Kevin Ryan (0-3) for D Byrne (19),

Rathkenny - Colin Curtis; Joe Gore, James Macken, Niall Brannigan; Stephen Crosbie, Ross Gore, Thomas McGuinness; Brian Meade (0-1), Christy Meade (0-1); Michael Macken, Brian Lenihan (0-4, 2fs, 1 sl), Ivan Lenihan; Thomas Martin (0-1), Caolach Halligan (0-2fs), Keith Timmons (0-1). Subs - Stephen McCabe for M Macken (40), Robert Garry for R Gore (40), Sean Mongey for I Lenihan (52).

Referee - Cormac Reilly (St Mary's)

Most Read Stories