SFC: Cian's dozen sees off Dunboyne

August 16, 2014

Wolfe Tones Cian Ward with Gary Timoney Dunboyne during the hoganstand.com/Meath SFC game at Pairc Tailteann.
Wolfe Tones ....... 1-12
Dunboyne ........... 0-8

Cian Ward scored 1-9 as Wolfe Tones booked their passage to the business end of the hoganstand.com SFC with a decisive win over Dunboyne at Pairc Tailteann on Saturday night.

A fourth win of their Group A campaign ensures Gordon Ward's charges of top spot in Group A with a game to spare. The foundations for this win were laid in the opening half when wind-assisted Wolfe Tones moved seven points clear by the break.

Cian Ward's 30th minute goal was the highlight of a half in which he posted 1-6 with both boots contributing. It took him just 22 seconds to open his account and try as they did Dunboyne couldn't bridge the gap.

Dunboyne's workrate produced little end product and 12 second-half wides (17 in all) hastened their second defeat of the campaign. Wolfe Tones had just five wides.

Fiachra Ward was Wolfe Tones' other first-half scorer and combined to good effect with his elder brother. Cian Ward was denied another goal in the third minute when Andrew Markey saved comfortably.

Playing towards the town goal with the wind at their backs, Wolfe Tones took the game to Dunboyne from the off with Cian Ward posting three points within five minutes of the off. Seconds later Dunboyne got off the mark through Donal Lenihan.

The scoring rate dropped subsequenty but Dunboyne were denied a goal when David Nolan saved well from Conor Daly 11 minutes in.

A second scoring burst kicked-off around the mid-point of the opening half with Wolfe Tones posting four points in a seven-minute spell to lead by 0-7 to 0-1 22 minutes in.

Cian Ward got the sequence going with a magnificent pointed free 13-metres out on the left open terrace side. He added his fifth five minutes later. Fiachra Ward got in on the scoring act before his tenacity provided the opening for the game's only goal which the fixture's top scorer finished to the net 'soccer style' with his left boot

Lenihan shaved two points off the Dunboyne deficit frees in the 26th and 28th minutes. The final score of the half arrived with in the 30th minute when Cian Ward finished to the net with his left boot after his brother created the opening by legitimately dispossessing Dunboyne 'keeper Andrew Markey.

That score brought Cian Ward's first-half tally to 1-6 and left seven points between the teams at the break. Dunboyne resumed with the strong wind at their backs but the third quarter was nearly over before they added to their tally.

Ger Robinson got the score and within seconds Ronan Jones added another point as Dunboyne enjoyed the best spell that yielded three scores in five minutes. Sub Jason Daly completed the sequence at the start of the final quarter. That left the board reading 1-9 to 0-6.

As Dunboyne's wide count mounted, Wolfe Tones reasserted themselves in the latter stages during which time full-back Stephen Sheppard became their fourth scorer. Meanwhile, some diligent defending prevented the team in black and amber striped jerseys from getting in for a goal.

Wolfe Tones' remaining round robin fixture is against Blackhall Gaels while Dunboyne have to face Skryne.

Wolfe Tones - David Nolan; Shane Glynn, Stephen Sheppard (0-1), David Coleman; Eanna Harrington, Eoghan Harrington, Mark Coleman; Stephen Corrigan, Alan Callaghan; Niall O'Reilly, Niall McLoughlin (0-1), Paul Byrne; Ciaran McLoughlin, Fiachra Ward (0-1), Cian Ward (1-9, 0-4fs). Subs - Brughach O Fionnaigain for O'Reilly (49).

Dunboyne - Andrew Markey; John Meehan, Gary Timoney, Damien Sweeney; Cathal Finn, Shane McEntee, Seamus Lavin; David Gallagher, Sean McGarrell; Ronan Jones (0-1), Donal Lenihan (0-4, 3fs), Craig Berrigan (0-1); Ger Robinson (0-1), Colm Clarke, Conor Daly. Subs - Gerry Gallagher for Clarke (ht), Jason Daly (0-1) for C Daly (38), Tom O'Connor for M Coleman (39)

Referee - Cormac Reilly (St Mary's).

Most Read Stories