SHC: Trim triumph in thriller

June 28, 2014

Trim's James Toher
Tenacious Trim trumped neighbours Kildalkey in an exciting Ted Murtagh SHC Group A round two clash at Pairc Tailteann on Saturday evening.

Trim 3-11
Kildalkey 1-16

James Toher landed the decisive score from a 25-metre free into the old swimming pool end in the third minute of stoppage time. The midfielder finished with 1-6 to his name. His tally of 1-4 from placed balls included some pointed frees from distance.

Second-half goals from Neil Heffernan (42 mins) and Shane Ashe (46 mins) did much to tilt the balance Trim's way. The latter goal left John Andrews' men leading by 3-8 to 0-16.

Though Trim fell behind again to Padraig Geoghegan's long range 50th minute effort that wound up in the town goal. It proved to be Kildalkey's last score and the town side regained parity through Heffernan before Toher's decisive stroke.

It's Trim's second win of the campaign and all the sweeter for the manner it was achieved and that it was at the expense of one of their local rivals. There was just one score (Toher's winner) in the final 13 minutes of the game (including over three minutes of stoppage time). Both sides posted a number of wides in those gripping final minutes that one spectator jokingly suggested that the teams were playing for a draw.

Kildalkey looked set for their second win of the campaign having led for most of the game. The manner in which Pat O'Halloran's men responded to the concession of all three goals suggested they might prevail.

Trim trailed by five points within a minute of the restart but were on level terms by the 43rd minute. Heffernan's goal was central to this rally. It folllowed a solo run and close range finish.

Kildalkey were soon two points clear again thanks to David Harmon (free) and Tony Fox before Shane Ashe flicked a long-distance Toher free to the net and Trim were in front for the first time, 3-8 to 0-16, in the 46th minute.

Just under 45 seconds had passed when midfielder Sean Heavey pointed Kildalkey in front from distance. It set the tone for the opening half for Pat O'Halloran's charges who landed a dozen scores when playing into the old swimming pool end. Ten of those scores came from play with the remainder the product of a 65 and a free.

Trim countered that opening score with one of the highlights of the hour, a James Toher pointed free from about 10 metres inside his own half. By the 5th minute Kildalkey had moved 0-3 to 0-1 clear and remained in front until the break.

The flow of Kildalkey scores was interupted by an Aaron Winters effort from play. Trim received a much needed boost when Toher goaled from a 20-metre free after Heffernan's run towards the town goal was halted.

Heading into the second-quarter, Kildalkey led by two, 0-7 to 1-2, and proceeded to move four clear on four occasions and took that lead into the break, 0-12 to 1-5. Within a minute of resumption, Padraig Geoghegan pointed for the team in royal blue jerseys.

When Trim trimmed the defict to a goal, 0-13 to 1-7, in the 40th minute with one of Toher's two points from play, Kildalkey replied with a Derek Doran point. However they couldn't shake off the town side whose facility for goals proved decisive on this occasion.

Kildalkey - Conor Flynn; Sean Corrigan, Stephen Forde, Eoin Potterton; Johnny Murray (0-2), Gary Watters, Mairtin Doran; Luke Rickard, Sean Heavey (0-1); Francis Doran (0-1), Gary Kelly (0-2), Padraig Geoghegan (1-1); David Harmon (0-3, 2fs 1 65), Tony Fox (0-3),Derek Doran (0-3). Subs - Paddy Conneely for Watters (39), Mark Healy for Harmon (53).

Trim - Brian Carley; Ciaran O'Rourke, Eolan Harrington, Colm McGrath; Ryan Andrews (0-1), Colm Doyle, David Foley; James Toher (1-6, 1-4fs), Luke Moran; Ciaran Joyce , Shane Ashe (1-1), Neil Heffernan (1-1); James Andrews (0-1), Damien McGee, Aaron Winters (0-1). Sub - Sean McGee for Damien McGee (25).

Referee - Fergal Smyth (Blackhall Gaels)

Most Read Stories