SFC semi: Summerhill prevail over game Rathkenny

September 29, 2013

Summerhill's Stephen Husband closes in on Rathkenny's David Donegan during the hoganstand.com SFC semi final at Pairc Tailteann
Summerhill ....... 0-15
Rathkenny ......... 1-7

Summerhill will face Na Fianna in the hoganstand.com SFC final following this 'semi' win over Rathkenny on Sunday afternoon at Pairc Tailteann

The 'Hill are through to their first final since last lifting the Keegan Cup two years ago and made most of the running here against injury hit Rathkenny.

Declan McCabe's men were never reeled in after Conor Gillespie opened the scoring in the fifth minute. They recorded nearly twice as many scores as Rathkenny with all bar three points of their tally coming from play.

There might have been some concern in the Summerhill ranks when they led by just three points heading into stoppage time having played with the wind that was blowing into the hospital end, in the opening half.

Brian Ennis pointed a free just before the break when it was 0-8 to 1-1. Summerhill controlled matters in the second-half despite conceding the first score of the second period, a Jack Gore free, which left just a goal in it.

Curiously Barry Dardis was the only member of the Summerhill full-forward line to score while the half-backs and midfield contributed 0-6 of the winners' tally between them. It's a reflection of the fluid nature of the modern game.

Des Lane's men got as close, 1-4 to 0-10, to their south county opponents when Jack Gore landed another free at the start of the final quarter.

Summerhill replied with scores from wing-back Padraig Geraghty and Adrian Kenny to leave five points in it for the third time in the hour.

They went five points clear on three more occasions, finishing with that margin to spare. They led by six once in each half. First, when Kenny pointed to leave it 0-7 to 0-1 after 27 minutes.

The second time was when David Larkin closed their account in the 57th minute before Jack Gore closed the scoring with his fourth pointed free of the hour.

From the side that beat Summerhill in a round robin fixture back in April, Rathkenny were without county man Brian Meade as well as Brian Lenehan (top scorer that April afternoon. Furthermore they lost corner-back Ross Gore to injury three minutes in.

Despite playing against strong wind in the opening half, Rathkenny created a number of attacks in the opening quarter but had just one point to show for their efforts, Owen Elliott's eighth minute score countered Conor Gillespie's opener.

John Donegan had a goal chance moments later but Summerhill 'keeper Tony McDonnell advanced smartly to smother.

Six points on the spin from five different scorers upped the 'Hill to a 0-7 to 0-1 lead after 27 minutes. A Brian Ennis (free) got the sequence going. Micheal Byrne (free), wing backs Padraig Geraghty and Stephen Husband also contributed.

Adrian Kenny became Summerhill's sixth scorer in the 26th minute before quickly doubling his account to complete the seqence. The wing-forward complimented an industrious display with four points from play.

Just as he did in the round robin meeting between the sides, Donal Curtis goaled for Rathkenny. Collecting a cross from Owen Elliott he rounded Willie Ryan before rifling to the net just as the first half entered stoppage time for his side's first score in 24 minutes.

There was still time for Summerhill to forge a double scores interval advantage with an Ennis free to leave it 0-8 to 1-1 at the break.

Rathkenny drew first blood in the second-half with Elliott pointing a close range free three minutes in. The Gillespie rounded off a move begun by Stephen Husband close to his own goal.

Kevin Ryan had Summerhill's best goal chance but Rathkenny 'keeper diverted the effort for a 45. Two Gore frees left just a goal in it, 0-10 to 1-4, heading into the final quarter.

Geraghty pushed forward for his second score early in the final quarter as the gap between the sides widened and Summerhill remain on course for possesion Keegan Cup despite having lost their opening two matches in the round robin phase.

Summerhill - Tony McDonnell; Padraig Jennings, Caolan Young, Willie Ryan; Padraig Geraghty (0-2), Alan Lyons, Stephen Husband (0-1); Conor Gillespie (0-2), Micheal Byrne (0-1 f); David Larkin (0-2), Brian Ennis (0-2 fs), Adrian Kenny (0-4); Kevin Ryan, Paul Rispin, Barry Dardis (0-1). Subs - Sean Dalton for K Ryan (47), Richie Hatton for Jennings (55), Damien Byrne for M Byrne (60.

Rathkenny - John Martin; Joe Gore, James Macken Ross Gore; David Donegan, Donal Keogan, Michael Macken; John Donegan, Ronan Curtis; Ivan Lenehan, Stephen Crosbie, Jack Gore (0-4 fs); Donal Curtis (1-1), Christopher Meade, Owen Elliott (0-1). Subs - Ronan Martin for R Gore (3), Thomas Martin for Crosbie (ht), Barry Carolan (0-1) for Lenehan (51).

Referee - David Coldrick (Blackhall Gaels)

Most Read Stories