IFC: Gaeil Colmcille advance

September 16, 2013

Gaeil Colmcille's Johnny Quigley beats Ratoath's Joey Wallace to the ball during the Meath IFC quarter final at Pairc Tailteann
Gaeil Colmcille 1-12
Ratoath 2-7

Gaeil Colmcille advanced to the Intermediate Football Championship semi final with a two point win over favourites Ratoath in windy conditions at Pairc Tailteann.

Gaeil Colmcille started without Danny McGovern and Conor Murray while Ratoath fielded without Eamonn Wallace (suspended) and Gavin Quigley and were further weakened by the loss of Bobby O'Brien to a hamstring injury after 10 minutes.

The teams struggled to come to terms with a difficult wind that favoured the Kellsmen in the opening half. Top scorer Brian Hanlon pointed for Gaeil Colmcille before Bryan McMahon brought the game to life with a well worked goal. Gaeil Colmcilles responded in brilliant fashion. Hanlon sent over four points including a wonderful strike from the sideline and another from Stevie McManus put Gaeil Colmcille ahead 0-6 to 1-0 after 20 minutes. Hanlon stretched the lead a minute later with a goal after some fine work by half back Stephen Reddy. Kells looked in control at this stage but failed to score for the remainder of the game while Ratoath tagged on three points through the influential McMahon. Half time score Gaeil Colmcille 1-6 Ratoath 1-3

Hanlon and Cian O'Brien traded points in the opening five minutes of the second half before Justin Carry Lynch brought off a fine save to deny McMahon a certain goal. This spurred on the Kellsmen and points from Hanlon and Mattimoe along with a fine effort from midfielder Gary Arkins had them 1-10 to 1-4 up after 15 minutes. Ratoath introduced Gavin Quigley and his point sparked a mini revival. Gavin McGowan netted after a goalmouth scramble and another O'Brien point had the gap down to 1-10 to 2-6. Seamus Mattimoe raced through to get a very important score for the winners and when Hanlon kicked his 8th point a goal separated the teams with five minutes to go. Conor McGill pointed but as Ratoath came looking for a winning gaol the Kells defence held firm to book their place against Castletown in the semi final.

Gaeil Colmcille: Justin Carry Lynch, Paul Tormey, Michael Foley, Barry Tormey, Stephen Reddy, Robbie Flanagan, Barry Smith, Gary Arkins 0-1, Cormac Keegan, Seanie Curran, Keith Reilly, Stevie McManus, Seamus Mattimoe 0-2, Martin Barrett, Brian Hanlon 1-8. Subs: Johnny Quigley, Liam Ferguson, Declan Smith, Barry Farrelly

Ratoath: Andrew Smith, Stephen O'Brien, Darragh McGill, Gavin McGowan, Colm McCullagh, Conor McGill (0-1), Emmet Boyle, Cian O'Brien (0-1), Brian Power, Keith McCabe, Bobby O'Brien, Eoghan McMahon, Bryan MacMahon (1-4), Gareth Rooney, Joseph Wallace. Subs: Conor Rooney for Bobby O'Brien, Gavin Quigley (0-1) for Conor Rooney, Paddy Quinn for Eoghan MacMahon, Gavin Eiffe for Daragh McGill, Colin Nugent for Gavin McGowan

Referee Donal Smith Navan O'Mahonys

Most Read Stories