IFC semi-final - Philly Wards off the 'Lough

September 11, 2011

Ballinlough's Lorcan Maguire with Gaeil Colmcille's Barry Smith during the Meath IFC semi final at Pairc Tailteann
Philly Ward's 58th minute point proved decisive as Gaeil Colmcille saw off neighbours Ballinlough in the first Meade Potato Co. IFC semi-final at Pairc Tailteann on Saturday evening.

Gaeil Colmcille ........ 0-10
Ballinlough ................ 0-9

The midfielder struck the decisive score in the 58th minute and in the time remaining Ballinlough were unable to forge the score that could have prolonged their interest in the competition.

Things didn't look too good for Jody Devine's charges when they led by the narrowest margin, 0-5 to 0-4, at the break having played with a strong wind in the opening 30 minutes.

However, Danny McGovern's fine individual score doubled the Gaeil Colmcille advantage shortly after the restart.

Within six minutes of the restart Ballinlough were back on level terms through Kevin Devine (free) and Mark McCullen's magnificent effort from play.

Gaeil Colmcille didn't wilt and were quickly two points clear again with scores from McGovern and Brian Hanlon (free).

When Ballinlough were awarded a second penalty, Peader Byrne's kick skied over the bar to leave his side 0-7 to 0-8 in arrears midway through the second-half.

Ballinlough eventually got back on level terms with a long range Byrne effort in the 54th minute but Vinny Ryan's men couldn't add to their tally.

Gaeil Colmcille had the wind blowing from the hospital end at their backs in the first-half, but made little headway early on.

With 15 minutes gone Gaeil Colmcille led by 0-3 to 0-0 thanks to scores from Martin Barrett, Gary Arkins (free) and Hanlon.

In the ninth minute Ballinlough coughed up a great chance to open their account, but Cian Mallen sent his penalty kick to the left and wide.

Kevin Devine opened Ballinlough's account in the 18th from a close range free to leave just two points between the sides.

Three minutes later the margin was down to the minimum when Ronan McGuinness sent over from play. Gaeil Colmcille responded with a Danny McGovern point to leave it 0-4 to 0-2 with 24 minutes gone.

A Byrne effort that went over with the aid of an upright was followed by another Devine free to level matters for the first time, 0-4 each, in the 29th minute.

In first-half stoppage time a pointed Brian Hanlon free earned Gaeil Colmcille that slender interval lead.

Gaeil Colmcille - D. Drew; M. Foley, R. Flanagan, D. Smith; C. Finn, P. Tormay, B. Tormay; P. Ward (0-1), J. Carry Lynch; G. Arkins (0-1), A. Hickey, S. Curran; B. Hanlon (0-4 3fs), M. Barrett (0-1), D. McGovern (0-3). Subs - B. Smith for B. Tormay (22), S. Mattimoe for Curran (36), K. Reilly for Carry Lynch (45), S. McManus for Hickey (56).

Ballinlough - K. McGuinness; B. Smith, P. Muldoon, R. Farrell; K. Devine (0-4 fs), J. O'Reilly, Colm Mallen; S. Fagan, Cian Mallen; P. Byrne (0-3, 1 pen), L. Maguire, M. McCullen (0-1); R. McGuinness (0-1), K. Mallen, K. Rothwell. Subs - S. Geraghty for K. Mallen (40), T. McCullen for Rothwell (46).

Referee - B. Darby (Ballinabrackey).


Most Read Stories