SFC: Donaghmore send out warning against Dunboyne

August 22, 2011

Donaghmore Ashbourne's Ciaran Ellis
Donaghmore Ashbourne 3-14
St. Peter's Dunboyne 2-06

Donaghmore Ashbourne produced one of their best performances this season to book a place in the last four of the Keegan Cup in Pairc Tailteann on Sunday evening.

The first half performance practically ended the game as a contest as Donaghmore Ashbourne led at the interval by 2-08 to 0-02.

Donaghmore Ashbourne playing against the breeze in the opening period showed their intention from the throw in as they attacked the St. Peter's goal in waves. They registered three wides and a square ball before Ciaran Ellis opened the scoring on 5 minutes with his now trademark solo run through the defence to point from 25 meters.
John Broderick extended the lead on 10 minutes when he finished off a good move by firing to the Dunboyne net and Donaghmore Ashbourne were 5 points to the good on 12 minutes after corner back Sean Curran finished off a good team effort by points from 20 meters.

St. Peter's first score of the game came from a 25 meter free on 13 minutes but any chance of a revival was killed off at the end of the first quarter when Ellis again popped up in the forward line, took an overlap pass from Tony Morgan and raced through to fire to the roof of the net to leave 7 between the teams.

The second quarter saw Donaghmore Ashbourne totally outplay Dunboyne and during this period they killed off the game as a contest. Eoin Reilly took a pass from Broderick on slotted over from 14 meters on 19 minutes. Ciaran Beirne picked up a loose ball at the edge of the square and pointed over his shoulder on 20 minutes to put 9 between the teams. The sides did trade scores with Broderick finishing off a good run with a point on 23 minutes before Dunboyne replied a minute later with their second of the evening.

With the Donaghmore Ashbourne team working very hard off the ball they managed to turn over a lot of possession in the opening half and kept this work rate up until the interval. This hard work was rewarded in the closing minutes of the half when further points from Broderick who forced a good save from the Dunboyne keeper on 28 minutes together with points from Kevin Lanigan and Bryan Menton to leave the interval score an impressive 2-08 to 0-02 to Donaghmore Ashbourne.

As expected the interval was more beneficial to St. Peter's as they could regroup and reorganise and with the margin between the teams Donaghmore Ashbourne took their foot of the pedal and didn't play to the same intensity as the opening period.

David Morgan did open the second half scoring on 34 minutes when he collected a great cross field ball from Beirne and point from 25 meters. St. Peter's replied with a 30 meter free on 36 minutes. Eoin Riordan also registered a score for the half back line when he collected a pass from Tony Morgan and pointed from 25 meters on 37 minutes after a quick line ball.

Dunboyne were given a life line when they scored their first goal of the match on 39 minutes. Although Andy Colgan pulled off a great save Dunboyne managed to fire the rebound into the net. The revival was short lived as John Broderick intercepted a pass in the Dunboyne defence about 40 meters out. He soloed the ball towards goal and in a one on one situation he fired to the roof of the net to kill off the game on 41 minutes. This score seemed to signal the end of the game as a contest and the remainder of the game was a formality. Eoin Riordan intercepted a ball in his own full back line and found Sean Curran with a pass on the wing. Curran with acres of space in front of him soloed the full length of the pitch and pointed on 44 minutes. Eoin Reilly also pointed a minute later when he finished off another turnover ball that started in defence.

The sides traded scores early in the final quarter with Dunboyne pointing on 47 minutes and Iarlaith O Donnell registering a score on 50 minutes when he collected a pass from Tony Morgan. Eoin Reilly scored Donaghmore Ashbourne's final score of the evening with a 40 meter free on 53 minutes. St. Peter's did have the final say of the evening with a goal from a penalty on 54 minutes and points from play on 57 minutes and a free on 59 minutes but these scores were never going to influence the outcome.

Overall it was a well deserved victory for Donaghmore Ashbourne as they booked their place in the semi final for the first time in the club's history. They now play Dunshaughlin in the semi final as they aim to book a place in the senior final for the first time since 1944.

Donaghmore Ashbourne - A. Colgan; J. Finnegan, C. Mc Gill, S. Curran(0-2); C. Ellis(1-1), C. O'Mealoid, E.Riordan(0-1); K. Lanigan(0-1), B. Menton(0-1); E. Reilly(0-3) (2f), C. Beirne(0-1), J. Broderick(2-2); D. Morgan(0-1), I.O Donnell (0-1), T. Morgan. Subs: I. Dowd for O'Mealoid

Most Read Stories