SFC: Donaghmore/Ashbourne down Dunshaughlin

May 13, 2011

Rathkenny's Brian Meade moves towards goal as Donaghmore/Ashbourne's Ciaran Ellis closes in during the Meath SFC at Pairc Tailteann.
Donaghmore/Ashbourne 0-14
Dunshaughlin 0-8

Donaghmore/Ashbourne revived their SFC Group B campaign with this decisive third round win over hitherto unbeaten Dunshaughlin at Pairc Tailteann on Friday evening.

Donaghmore/Ashbourne outscored Dunshaughlin by 0-8 to 0-2 when wind assisted in the second-half and might have won by a wider margin had they taken the two goal chances that came their way over the course of the game.

Within two minutes of the restart a pointed Ciaran Byrne free saw them go in front for the first time.

Though that score was quickly countered by a similar effort from Dunshaughlin's leading scorer Trevor Dowd, Donaghmore/Ashbourne hit the next six scores to secure their first points of the campaign.

That sequence of scores included three Eoin Reilly points, one from play, one free and a 45. The lattter score came after Dunshaughlin defender Michael Ahern turned John Broderick's shot over his own goal line.

Wing-back Ciaran Ellis and Eoin Riordan also registered during this phase of play as did Tony Morgan, Donaghmore/Ashbourne's top scorer from play.

Dowd's second pointed free of the half, broke the Donaghmore/Ashbourne sequence of scores while Tony Morgan was the last person to trouble the scoreboard operators as Dunshaughlin dropped their first points in three starts.

With the support of the elements, Dunshaughlin were never headed in the opening-half.
Trevor Dowd gave the team in black and amber an early lead. That was quickly cancelled out by Donaghmore/Ashbourne wing-back Ciaran Ellis.

By the 13th minute, Dunshaughlin had opened up a three-point lead, 0-4 to 0-1, through Niall Murphy, Cathal O'Dwyer and Conor Devereux.

A Ciaran Byrne point for Donaghmore/Ashbourne was countered by a similar score from a Dowd 45 leaving Dunshaughlin three points to the good heading into the second quarter.

Midway through the half Kevin Lanigan's low penalty kick struck the butt of Ronan Gogan's right hand post after David Morgan was fouled

That didn't deter Andy McEntee's men. Points from John Broderick (two) and Bryan Menton restored parity by the 23rd minute.

Another Dowd free had Dunshaughlin back in front. A Tony Morgan effort levelled matters for the third time and left it 0-6 each at the break.

Donaghmore/Ashbourne - A. Colgan; J. Finnegan, C. McGill, S. Curran; C. Ellis (0-2), C. O Mealoid, E. Riordan (0-1); B. Menton (0-1), K. Lanigan; E. Reilly (0-3, 1 f 1 45), C Byrne (0-2, 1f), J. Broderick (0-2); T. Morgan (0-3), I. Dowd, D. Morgan.

Dunshaughlin - R. Gogan; A. Doyle, C. King, M. Ahern; F. Toolan, T. Johnson, D. Kealy; P. McHale, R. Maloney; C. Staunton, T. Dowd (0-5, 4 fs), C. Devereux (0-1); N. Murphy (0-1), C. O'Dwyer (0-1), M. Reilly. Subs - J. Crimmins for Johnson (28), R. Kealy for Reilly (44), M. McHale for Murphy (51).

Referee - D. Gough (Slane).

Most Read Stories