Meath SFC final: Skryne pip Seneschalstown in thriller

September 26, 2010

Skryne captain Aidan Tuite climbs above Seneschalstown's Damien Sheridan during the Meath SFC final at Pairc Tailteann.
Skryne 0-21
Seneschalstown 4-8

Paddy O'Rourke's pointed '45' in the last action of the Meath Farm Machinery SFC final at Pairc Tailteann on Sunday secured Skryne the honours at Seneschalstown's expense by the narrowest margin.

Moments earlier Stephen Finnegan's goal at the town end looked to have earned the holders a second chance. Undaunted Skryne responded positively and were rewarded.

It summed up a final where fortunes ebbed and flow and despite the concession of four goals Skryne rallied each time.

Five points in arrears at the break, they were on level terms heading into the final quarter and moved three clear with time almost up.

Paddy O'Rourke's seven-point tally was eclipsed by Man of the Match Ian Davis with 0-8 (four from play).

Skryne were also aided by moving Ciaran Lenehan to full-back during the second-half. The number six managed to get on the scoresheet as did wing-back James Hegarty.

Davis and O'Rourke posted 15 of Skryne's 21 points between while Joe and Brian Sheridan contributed 3-6 to Seneschalstown's bid for a third title in four years and fifth in all.

In the end the perserverence of Liam Harnan's charges saw the claim a 13th title and first since 2004.

All bar one of the eight first-half Seneschalstown scores came courtesy of the Sheridan brothers. Brian landed four frees at the hospital end in the opening 30 minutes including the opening score.

The first of Ian Davis's four first-half points gave Skryne a brief lead at 0-2 to 0-1, six minutes in. Three minutes later Brian Sheridan steered the ball to the Skryne net with assistance from brother Joe.

Two Davis points (one free) and another from Brian Byrne restored parity by the 14th minute, 0-5 to 1-2.

Then Seneschalstown struck for their second goal with Joe Sheridan netting after brothers Brian and Damien created the opening.

When Brian Sheridan landed his fourth free in the 20th minute, it was double scores, 2-4 to 0-5, to the champions.

Skryne outscored Seneschalstown by 0-4 to 0-1 coming up to half-time with an excellent Kevin Mulvaney effort trimming the deficit to just two points.

The best of the three first-half goal arrived in the 30 minutes as Joe Sheirdan collected a Bryan Clarke centre before turning a calmly slotting the leather low to the net and it was 3-5 to 0-9 at the break.

Skryne - F. O'Rourke; A. Curry, D. Beaton, M. Jordan; J. Looby, C. Lenehan (0-1), J. Hegarty (0-1); A. Tuite, D. McGoldrick; P. O'Rourke (0-7, 3 fs, 2 45s), T. Giles, I. Davis (0-8, 4 fs); K. Mulvaney (0-2), B. Byrne (0-1), M. Battersby (0-1). Subs - P. Fox for Byrne (47), V. O'Reilly for Curry (50), B. Davis for McGoldrick (54).

Seneschalstown - D. Lyons; J. Byrne, P. Carey, G. Sheridan; G. Conlon, J. Cowley, S. Sheridan; R. Ruddy, C. Quinn (0-1); D. Sheridan, C. Macken, S. Finnegan (1-1); B. Clarke, B. Sheridan (1-5, 0-5 fs), J. Sheridan (2-1). Subs - A. Finnegan for S. Sheridan, A. Gleeson for Macken (both 38), A. Collins for Byrne (50), D. Byrne for Cowley (59), S. Clarke for Quinn (60).

Referee - B. Darby (Ballinabrackey)

Most Read Stories