SFC: Draw enough to save Pat's senior status

August 09, 2010

St Pat's Niall Whearty
St Patrick's ......... 2-10
Wolfe Tones ...... 2-10

St Patrick's held on for a valuable draw with Wolfe Tones (who were already through to the knockout stages) in this SFC Group B round five fixture at Seneschalstown early on Sunday afternoon to copper fasten senior status for the Stamullen men.

Points from the two Nialls - Whearty and Mooney respectively - moved the Stamullen side two points clear by the 47th minute.

A fine Cian Ward effort from play halved the deficit before the same player restored parity from a 58th minute free to level matters for the sixth and final time.

Both times passed up scoring chances in the time remaining with Niall Whearty dropping a long range effort short in the last meaningful action of the game.

Without being overly impressive from general play, Ward finished with 2-4 to his name. However it was the positive manner in which St Pat's responded to the concession of goals that was the most striking feature of the game.

Skryne's defeat of Dunboyne left the 'Tones at the top of Group B and they now face champions Seneschalstown in a quarter-final, a repeat of last year's SFC final pairing.

SFC debutant Eanna Harrington opened the scoring for Wolfe Tones. Within five minutes they were 0-3 to 0-0 clear.

Despite the absence of Niall and Ciaran McLoughlin, Cathal O'Bric men were 1-4 to 0-3 to the good midway through the opening half after Ward netting the opening goal from a well-taken spot kick awarded for a foul on Stephen Sheppard.

Within six minutes St Pat's were on level terms when Daithi Whyte - who proved a handful for Eoghan Harrington - goaled and it was 1-4 each.

When the impressive Donal Landy pointed from a free. the Stamullen side were in front for the first time. The sides were level for the third time in the opening half when Alan Fox sent over and it was 1-5 each at half-time.

'Tones drew first blood on the resumption through Sheppard, but Alan Vickers and Niall Whearty put St Pat's back in front.

In the 33rd minute Sheppard placed Ward for Wolfe Tones second goal which was quickly cancelled out by the alert Alan Vickers who beat Sean Power to a long delivery and St Pat's were in front again, 2-7 to 2-6.

Even though Sheppard level matters again, Wolfe Tones never regained the lead as St Patrick's deservedly got what they required from this fixture.

St Patrick's - S. Byrne; S. McGinty, C. Murphy, K. Whearty; A. Reilly, D. Hagan, A. Mooney; C. Sullivan, C. Calvey; R. Russell, D. Whyte (1-0), N. Mooney (0-2); A. Vickers (1-2), N. Whearty (0-3, 2 fs), D. Landy (0-3, 2 fs). Subs - B. Calvey for C. Calvey (40), R. Kearns for Murphy (43).

Wolfe Tones - S. Power; R. Brady, A. McKeown, P. Caffrey; B. McGinn, Eoghan Harrington, G. Beggy (0-1); S. Corrigan (0-1), M. McNally; D. McGrath, A. Fox (0-1), M. Coleman; Eanna Harrington (0-1), S. Sheppard (0-2), C. Ward (2-4, 1-0 pen, 0-3 fs). Subs - A. Callaghan for McNally, P. Byrne for Coleman (both 44 ), S. Glynn for McGinn (56).

Referee - P. Clarke (Seneschalstown).

Most Read Stories