SFC: Tones floored by the Hill

September 29, 2008

'Tones full back Ciaran McLoughlin is tackled by Summerhill's Paul Larkin during the Meath SFC semi final at Pairc Tailteann
Summerhill 1-14 Wolfe Tones 2-08 Wolfe Tones were dumped out of the SFC by underdogs Summerhill, who were full value for their win in this semi-final at Pairc Tailteann. Summerhill dominated the first half and pulled away from Tones after Cian Ward had cancelled out Summerhill's opening point from a free in the third minute. By the fourteenth minute Summerhill had opened up a 1-5 to 0-01 lead and Tones had introduced Ciaran Martin to try to stem the tide of Summerhill attacks. Ward pointed superbly in the 16th minute and then added another from a free after Byrne was fouled but Summerhill had stretched their lead to 1-8 to 0-3 by the 24th minute and only a couple of fine points from Ward kept Tones within reach of their opponents as the sides went in at the break. A superb save from David Nolan kept Tones in the game and Tones fightback began when Ward finished superly to the net with the left boot after 35 minutes. Ward then added another free before Sheppard carried the ball from the halfway line before shooting low under the advancing keeper to put Tones 2-6 to 1-8 up after 39 minutes. Summerhill though weathered the storm and came back strongly with four points to go 1-12 to 2-6 up after 52 minutes before McGinn and then a fine point from Niall McLoughlin pulled Tones back to within a point. Tones never looked as if they could get the score that was needed and as before Summerhill came strong and deservedly ran out three point winners. Wolfe Tones - David Nolan; Richie Brady, C. McLoughlin, Aodhan McKeown; Barry Mc Ginn (0-1), Eoghan Harrington, Stephen Sheppard (1-0) ;Stephen Corrigan, Gordon Beggy; Alan Fox, Darren McGrath, Niall Mc Loughlin (0-1); Paul Byrne, John Tiernan, Cian Ward (1-6). Subs - Ciaran Martin for Brady, Mark Coleman for Beggy, Mark McKeever for Byrne

Most Read Stories