SFC: O'Mahonys ease into last four

September 10, 2008

Mark Ward scored 1-1 for O'Mahonys
The meeting of sides from the county's two biggest towns turned into something of a mis-match as O'Mahonys overpowered 14-man Donaghmore/Ashbourne in the last of the Commons Hardware SFC quarter-finals at Pairc Tailteann on Tuesday night. O'Mahonys 2-12 Donaghmore/Ashbourne 0-5 The outcome was effectively decided in the opening 16 minutes by which time last year's IFC winners had wing-back Ciaran Ellis redcarded by referee Seamus O'Connor. Then O'Mahonys struck for two goals against the driving wind and rain around the mid-point of the half. Ellis had just kicked a wide at the town end with his side trailing by 0-1 to 0-2 when he was dismissed by the Carnaross official. Having won the toss, Andy McEntee's men opted to play with the elements in the opening period ,but O'Mahonys settled quickest with early points from Sean Keating and the hard-working Henry Finnegan (free). Andrew Tormey pulled a point back for Donaghmore/Ashbourne before Ellis's dismissal. Eoin Carroll dropped back for the departed number five before being replaced by Colm O Mealoid who was unable to start due to a knee complaint. Within minutes of Ellis' departure Mark Ward drove to the net at the hospital end. Seconds later Lee Russell did the same and it was 2-2 to 0-1. Rory O'Connor won his fair share of ball around the middle, but the team that finished third in Group C and beat St Patrick's in a preliminary quarter-final at this ground seven nights earlier, were very wayward in their shooting in the first 30 minutes. Key forward Niall Farrell was absent with a finger injury. Finnegan might have got in for another O'Mahonys' goal but hit the side netting and by half-time it was 2-3 to 0-2. Donaghmore/Ashbourne enjoyed a fair bit of possession in the third quarter and struck 0-3 to O'Mahonys 0-4. They came close to netting when Tormey's flick struck a post and went wide. Their last score came courtesy of Bryan Menton who blazed over from close range. Leading by 2-8 to 0-5 heading into the latter stages, Sean Kelly's men closed out the hour with five points on the spin with substitutes Gary O'Brien (two) and Shane McKeigue getting among the scorers. O'Brien was also denied a goal by a smart save from Donaghmore/Ashbourne 'keeper Padraig Durkan. O'Mahonys - M. Brennan; N. McKeigue, K. Reilly, D. Moran; S. MacGabhann, C. McGuinness, S. O'Toole; B. Regan, M. Ward (1-1); L. Russell (1-0), S. Bray (0-1), H. Finnegan (0-1, free); D. Bray (0-4, 1 free), P. Smyth, S. Keating (0-2). Subs - R. Geraghty for Russell (47 mins), S. McKeigue (0-1) for Ward (51 mins), G.O'Brien (0-2) for Keating (52 mins), C. Reilly for O'Toole (53 mins), S. Crosby for McGuinness (55 mins). Donaghmore/Ashbourne - P. Durkan; J. Finnegan, C. McGill, S. Curran; C. Ellis, M. Lynch, E. Riordan; R. O'Connor, E. Reilly (0-1, 45); B. Menton (0-2), A. Tormey (0-1), J. Broderick; E. Carroll, D. Morgan (0-1, free), K. Lanigan. Subs - C. O Mealoid for Carroll (19 mins), I. Dowd for Broderick (28 mins), T. Morgan for Menton (52 mins). Referee - S. O'Connor (Carnaross).

Most Read Stories