SFC: Dreadnoughts advance on dreadful night for Denn

August 25, 2016

Paul Brady - Mullahoran

Mullahoran 3-15 
Denn 2-2

Mullahoran had minimal fuss in sealing their place into the quarter-finals of the senior championship tonight after dismantling Denn in the pouring rain in Mullagh.

Aidan McCarron's side were full value for their 16-point win in this one, with their goals from the three Bradys - Michael, Philip and Paddy - not even necessary in the end as they'd raised enough white flags over the hour to comfortably dispatch the men from Crosskeys.

Michael Brady's goal in the 21st minute was around the time the margin began to emerge between these two sides, after Thomas Edward Donohoe had handed Denn the perfect start, and from that point onwards the Dreadnoughts took over.

Philip Brady grabbed their second goal three minutes before the interval and in the second-half the Longford border outfit would outscore their counterparts by 1-7 to 1-1, bouncing back from their heavy defeat to Ramor the last day and ensuring themselves a quarter-final date against Kevin McDonnell's Lavey.

Donohoe had given Denn a dream start in this contest, rifling home a superbly executed goal past  Mullahoran 'keeper Dominic Crudden, as Jim Hyland's charges looked to lay down an early marker in a bid for an upset.

The winners responded emphatically though, with five answered points from Enda O'Reilly (2, 1 free), Killian Brady, Philip Brady (free) and Michael Brady before Denn's Noel Crowe closed the gap back to one with a fine effort of his left boot.

That was about as good as it got for the men in maroon as Michael Brady tacked on a quick 1-1 at the other end and the champions of 2012 proceeded to take control, with Paul Brady, Matthew Hynes and Kevin Fitzsimons helping to supply their ammunition up front.

Enda O'Reilly's second point from play was backed up by the former Cavan U21 ace locating Philip Brady at full-forward with a perfect pass and the veteran turned his marker to smash past Mark Fegan for three more points.

Raymond Lynch sent over Mullahoran's eighth point just before half-time, leaving it at 2-8 to 1-1 and Denn with a mountain to climb in the second-half.

Along with the 18 scores their team posted, the introduction of former Cavan defender Dermot Sheridan was a welcome sight for Dreadnoughts fans, after having missed the opening two games of the campaign through injury.

You get the feeling they might have survived without him in this one though, as they'd amassed a 20-point lead at one stage.

Fitzsimons, Philip Brady (free), Chris Prior, O'Reilly and Lynch (2) all notched points that slammed the door shut on Hyland's men by the end of the third quarter, and in the closing 15 there'd be an introduction for midfield veteran Christy Shiels as the Killydoon men simply weren't willing to let up.

Sub Kieran McGee landed the victors' 15th and final point prior to Paddy Brady being put through by Lynch and burying goal number three past Fegan to put the widest margin of the night between the teams.

Tomas Corr fired a quick 1-1, including a brilliantly taken goal, for Denn in the closing stages but it was mere consolation as the St Matthew's Park outfit must now worry about a relegation battle, while Mullahoran make another trip to the last eight.

Mullahoran: Dominic Crudden; Colm O'Reilly, Killian Brady (0-1), Daniel O'Reilly; Tadgh McGahern, Chris Prior (0-1), Michael Brady (1-2); Kevin Fitzsimons (0-1), Paddy Brady (1-0); Tomas Nannery, Enda O'Reilly (0-4, 3f), Matthew Hynes; Raymond Lynch (0-3), Philip Brady (1-2, 1f), Paul Brady. Subs: Dermot Sheridan, Derrick Dalton, Calum Mussi, Christy Shiels, Kieran McGee (0-1).

Denn: Mark Fegan; Andrew Cusack-Smith, Adrian Cahill, Bernard Galligan; Damien Callaghan, Killian Brady, Michael Gaffney; Tomas Corr (1-1, 1f), Noel Crowe (0-1); Colin Kiernan, Thomas Edward Donohoe (1-0), Conor O'Reilly; Ben Conaty, Cavell Keogan, Jerome Kiernan. Subs: Brandon Keogan, Aidan McKiernan, Cormac Cusack-Smith.

Ref: James Clarke (Killinkere)

Most Read Stories