Fitzsimons Cup: Armagh overcome Cavan

October 23, 2011

Cavan's Oisin Minagh with Armagh's Stefan Campbell during the Fitzsimons Cup semi final at Pairc Tailteann. TO VIEW OR PURCHASE A SELECTION OF PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS GAME CLICK HERE
Armagh 3-11
Cavan 1-16

Armagh overcame the challenge of Cavan in the Fitszimons Cup, a senior intercounty football competition organised by the Gaeil Colmcille club, at a wet Pairc Tailteann.

Mickey Brennan put Cavan on the scoreboard first and after ten minutes the Breffni men led 0-4 to 0-0. Armagh's opening score was a well taken goal from half foward Sean Moore. The accurate free taking of Cavan full foward Ray Galligan and some fine scores from Brennan and Niall McDermott insured that the led at the break 0-9 to 1-4.

Galligan put more daylight between the sides when he flicked a Dane O'Dowd pass to the Armagh net to leave the score 1-9 to 1-4. But Armagh battled hard to get back into the game and a goal from Eugene McVerry left the minimum between the sides.Points from half backs Mark Shields, Aidan Forker and Michael Stevenson brought Armagh to within a point again 2-8 to 1-12. A second goal from McVerry had Paddy O'Rourke's men ahead 3-8 to 1-13 with ten minutes left. A Galligan free levelled the match 1-14 to 3-8. But Armagh finished the stronger and points from Brian Mallon and substitutes Paul Carville and Conor White put the Orchard County men into the final where they will met Meath.

Armagh: Ryan Magennis, David Lavery, Declan McKenna, Adrian Conlon, Mark Shields (0-1), Aidan Forker (0-1), Michael Stevenson (0-1), James Donnelly, James Lavery, Pauric Gribben, Brian Mallon (0-1), Sean Moore (1-1), Eugene McVerry (2-0), Stefan Forker(0-3), Stefan Campbell.
Subs: Sean Hughes, Ryan Rafferty, Paul Carvill (0-2), Conor White (0-1)

Cavan: Fintan Reilly, Oisin Minagh, Sean McCormack, Daragh Tighe, Barry Watters, Joey Jordan, Dane O'Dowd, Ray Cullivan, Declan McKiernan, Stephen Jordan, Declan Meehan, Michael Brennan (0-3), Niall McDermott (0-2), Ray Galligan (1-10), Conor McClarry (0-1).
Subs: Barry Tully and Kieran Galligan

Referee Joey Curley Meath

Most Read Stories