All-Ireland club SFC: Gall's have that little bit extra

February 28, 2010
St. Gall's will face Kilmurry/Ibrickane in the AIB All-Ireland club football final on St. Patrick's Day after needing extra-time to overcome Corofin at Parnell Park last night.

St. Gall's 1-15
Corofin 1-11
(after extra-time)

Corner forward CJ McGourty was the St. Gall's hero, bagging 1-9 in a match of the match display. But the outcome might have been different had Corofin not had county defender Gary Sice sent off at the beginning of extra-time.

The sides were level at 1-9 each at the end of normal time, and while St Gall's had had centre back Anthony Healy sent off at the start of the final quarter, they were restored to the full complement of 15 for added time.

1998 champions Corofin were first to score through a Kieran Comer free, but McGourty then took centre stage by converting a couple of frees and he then palmed home a 14th minute goal after being set up by his older brother Kevin who had intercepted a poor Corofin clearance.

Another of the McGourty clan, Kieran, added a superb point to extend the Belfast side's lead as Corofin continued to miss chances at the other end. But they were handed a lifeline in the 29th minute when Kieran Comer rose highest to fist home Alan O'Donovan's free to leave just three points, 1-2 to 1-5, in it at the break.

Comer remained the Galway side's sole scorer until Alan O'Donovan pointed in the 42nd minute to reduce the deficit to the minimum. But with Aodhan Gallagher dominant at midfield, St. Gall's managed to keep their noses in front through points from Sean Kelly and Kevin McGourty before they were dealt a major blow in the 47th minute when centre back Anthony Healy received a second yellow card.

Almost immediately, O'Donovan brought Corofin level from a 45 metre free, but a couple of points from CJ McGourty had the Ulster men on the brink of victory before a superb Gary Sice leveller in stoppage time forced extra-time.

Following Sice's dismissal on a second yellow card at the start of the additional period, Corofin switched goalkeeper David Morris to full forward, and he almost proved their saviour, but his rasping shot just cleared the crossbar.

CJ McGourty had St. Gall's 1-11 to 1-10 ahead at the midway stage of extra-time, and he added two more frees in the second period before Kelly hit the insurance point.

St Gall's: Ronan Gallagher, P Veronica (0-1), A McClean, C Brady, M Kelly, A Healy, S Kelly (0-2), A Gallagher, S Burke (0-1), Kevin McGourty (0-1), Rory Gallagher, T O'Neill, CJ McGourty (1-9 (0-7f), K Niblock, Kieran McGourty (0-1).
Subs: K Stewart for Rory Gallagher, Simon Kennedy (e-t), M McCrory for Burke, S Burns for O'Neill, C Gallagher for Niblock

Corofin: D Morris (0-1), K McGrath, K Fitzgearld, C Silke, A Burke, D Burke, G Sice (0-1) G Higgins, A Donnellan, M Farragher, J Canney, R Steede, T Goggins, A O'Donovan (0-3, 2f), K Comer (1-6, 0-5 f).
Subs: S Monaghan for Silke, G Delaney for Goggins, K Murphy for Donnellan, J Burke for Farragher, B Power for Monaghan, Donnellan for Murphy.

Referee: C Reilly (Meath).

Most Read Stories