Munster MFC: Tipp to face Clare in Phase 1 final

April 24, 2019

Kyle Shelly on duty for Tipperary during the 2018 Munster MFC play-off against Limerick at Newcastlewest

Tipperary are through to the Munster minor football championship Phase 1 final after a 0-10 apiece draw with Limerick this evening.

Eliah Riordan’s 64th minute point snatched the leveller for Limerick but it wasn’t enough to save the young Shannonsiders from elimination after what was an airtight contest at Sean Treacy Park.

The sides were level on 0-5 each at the half, with Tipp grabbing the first two scores before the visitors fired over four on the trot – two of which came from the trusty boot of Shane O’Donoghue.

The victors got in front again thanks to the accurate frees of captain Kyle Shelly but Conor Galvin’s fine score at the other end made sure there was no separating the sides at the break.

Shelly and O’Donoghue traded scores early on in the restart prior to the Tipp marksman and Liam McCormack stretching out a three-point gap which was closed with 10 minutes to go.

O’Donoghue (2) and Riordan (free) ensured there that was nothing in come the closing stages and with the game up for grabs Shelly landed what proved the vital point from a free on 56 minutes.

Riordan would eventually cancel it out but it wasn’t enough as Tipp advanced at their neighbours’ expense towards a Phase 1 final meeting with Clare.

Two late goals from DJ Melia helped Waterford stage a splendid late comeback and hand the young Banner men a 2-7 to 1-9 defeat at Fraher Field.

However, the hosts needed a much wider margin of victory to qualify for the Phase 1 final after the earlier result in the Premier County.

This game had seen a significant delay to the start of the second-half for an ambulance to arrive and take away the injured Matthew Reidy from the Clare dugout.

Thomas Meenaghan’s strike had sprung the visitors towards a 1-4 to 0-3 lead at the end of a first-half which saw them lose three players to injury, before Melia led the Deise rally which had him pulling back a 53rd minute goal before netting a coolly struck penalty a minute shy of the hour mark.

Tipperary - J Griffin; C McDonagh, T Condon, E Butler; J Armstrong, D Hickey, C Shanahan; P Creedon (0-1), T Tobin; L Seacy, K Shelly (0-7, 6f), B Comerford; R Collins (0-1), J Mullen, E McCarthy. Subs: C Cadell for J Mullen, L McCormack (0-1) for P Creedon, L King for R Collins, D King for T Tobin, D McCahey for L Seacy.

Limerick - D O'Sullivan; D Geraghty (0-1), P Dolphin, F Corcoran; C Twomey, D O'Keeffe, C Woulfe; E Riordan (0-2f), M Southgate; C Hedderman, S O'Donoghue (0-6, 5f), R O'Connor; C Galvin (0-1), S Hanrahan, M Donnellan. Subs: P O'Dwyer for C Hedderman, J Baynham for S Hanrahan.

Referee - C Maguire.


Waterford - T Murray; B O'Brien, S Boyce, K Taylor; M Dalton, C Foley, A Walsh; S Walsh (0-1), DJ Melia (2-0); T Dalton (0-3), C Scanlon, A Ryan (0-2, 1f); M Mullaney, C Rooney, T O'Connell (0-1f). Subs: P Skehan for S Walsh, C O Dalaigh for T O'Connell.

Clare - T Collins; F Kelliher, M Garry, C McMahon; E Walshe, F Guinnane, M Reidy; E Rouine (0-1), C McGroary; S Casey, T Meenaghan (1-0), K Crowley; L Murphy (0-1), S Meehan (0-3f), E Talty (0-1). Subs: T Lillis (0-2) for C McGroary, S Browne for T Meenaghan, C Hassett for M Reidy, J Stack (0-1'45) for K Crowley, S McNamara for S Casey, C Killeen for S Meehan, M Comber for E Walshe, D Whelan for F Kelliher.

Referee - J Hayes.

Most Read Stories